• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 378 ankle dryers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vindaloo 42

Yes, you read that title correctly!

On Overground Class 378s every time the train brakes small fans under the longitudinal seats activate for a few seconds then switch off.

Since they only activate when the brakes apply I'm guessing they're fed from the energy collected from the rheo/regen brake.

Here is a picture of them, they're located behind the grills under every seat:

I've never figured out what their purpose is, since they're located directly behind your feet I've coined then 'ankle dryers' as they just blow air at your ankles!

Never seen them on any other type of Electrostar, so they are unique to the Capitalstar derivative.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gallafent

(Re the picture, isn't the end seat just a different colour moquette to indicate the priority seat, rather than showing “heavy wear & tear” as such?)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes, you read that title correctly!

On Overground Class 378s every time the train brakes small fans under the longitudinal seats activate for a few seconds then switch off.

Since they only activate when the brakes apply I'm guessing they're fed from the energy collected from the rheo/regen brake.

Here is a picture of them, they're located behind the grills under every seat:

I've never figured out what their purpose is, since they're located directly behind your feet I've coined then 'ankle dryers' as they just blow air at your ankles!

Never seen them on any other type of Electrostar, so they are unique to the Capitalstar derivative.
I wouldn't be that instead of the waste heat from electric braking being directed to atmosphere as is usual, that they've redesigned it as a waste heat system to heat the passenger saloon and reduce heating costs or something?

GB

Established Member
(Re the picture, isn't the end seat just a different colour moquette to indicate the priority seat, rather than showing “heavy wear & tear” as such?)

Bit of a design flaw there if that is the case. Is there nothing that specifically says its a priority seat?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Bit of a design flaw there if that is the case. Is there nothing that specifically says its a priority seat?
The usual blue priority seat labels are above the windows. It’s been like that since they were new.

Alamy’s “stock photo” contributor has written nonsense, do people really pay for this sort of thing?

GB

Established Member
Thanks, I thought there would be something but didn't see it in the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.