• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 378 refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijmad

Established Member
It also felt lighter and brighter - unclear if lights just cleaned or there have been changes.

Genuinely felt like a new train (not as the 378s were that bad before).

Interestingly l couldn't see a unit number on either of the cab fronts but it was, in very large letters, on the roof!

Yeah, I thought the interior refresh was actually very nice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
Another photo:

DnpNa2dW0AEC3At.jpg

Source

Reminds me a little of the Class 442 or even a 333 - almost a rounded look.

I think the thing I don't like is where the top (left in this photo) of the headlight isnt at the right angle so you get that small bit of yellow. Would have been better to use a small amount of black to extend the headlight area in that slither.

That and the fact the blacks don't actually line up!

Certainly different to current liveries.
I have to admit, it's grown on me too. In giving it a second examination, there's something very reminiscent about NSE with that "Chelsea Smile" on the front (albeit in the wrong direction to be a direct rip-off). The black part would look a whole lot better if the yellow front was chucked.

Then again, given that we've got used to seeing half-finished liveried (one need only look at SWR), this may not be the final product.

Doomotron

I have to admit, it's grown on me too. In giving it a second examination, there's something very reminiscent about NSE with that "Chelsea Smile" on the front (albeit in the wrong direction to be a direct rip-off). The black part would look a whole lot better if the yellow front was chucked.

Then again, given that we've got used to seeing half-finished liveried (one need only look at SWR), this may not be the final product.
I'm sure that eventually the yellow will become orange.

VagueShot

I've seen 378 135 a couple of times and it looks like it has a yellow front.

It's got a name of Daks Hamilton. Who was or is he?

LeeLivery

Established Member
See this unit every day now and had the first opportunity to jump on yesterday. I'm still not sold on the livery but the interior is nicer. The moquette looks much better in person I think. They've dumped the LO Network diagram, instead, having only the ELL, NLL and WDC route diagrams and the tube map. On the line diagrams, they have "Elizabeth line" at Whitechapel and Stratford; they've made sure it's listed after the Tube lines. I expected it to be shorted to "Elizabeth" like "Overground". On the NLL diagram for H&I and Canonbury they've also changed the ELL interchange to read "Southbound via Canada Water".

Skoodle

A second refreshed unit is now back at New Cross Gate. It was sticking out of the Maintenance Shed as I went over the flyover. Considering I was on 135 at the time I'm pretty sure! Couldn't see the unit number though but if I recall it is either 150 or 151 from previous posts?

Ethano92

croydontramtesting5.jpg

I realised the sort of orange line to fit the non existent contour on the refurbished 378s kind of remind me of the newer Croydon trams. There's sort of a green line, but it's not actually on the edges of the front because of how broad the front is. I'm sure some would disagree but I've always thought it's out of place. I do like how it morphs into a band of green along the top of the sides which gives it purpose, unlike the line on the 378s. Hopefully I've made the resemblance sort of clear, I'm not great at explaining.

samuelmorris

Established Member
It has a similar aesthetic but it works better on the trams (in my opinion) because the rest of the front is the same colour, not yellow. I imagine that may have been the sort of look they were going for with the 378s but it obviously no longer matches now the yellow front had to be added. An orange band along the top of the 378s would probably have enhanced that look further, but whether it would have worked with the yellow front is debatable.

TRAX

Established Member
IIRC the yellow on the refreshed 378 face will disappear.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I do remember hearing that but wasn't sure if it was confirmed. Seems odd they're continuing to refurbish units if they've got to repaint the fronts again afterwards. Presumably it's being done during major overhauls?

TRAX

Established Member
Isn’t the yellow just a removable vinyl with the full orange face behind ?

MML

So they've got black up top where it stays cleanest and white, blue, orange down low where the coaches become grubby soonest.
Marvellous idea.
I just hope the carriage washers keep working in the cold weather.

It would have been better to start with an orange line at the top, followed by white, then blue across the window line, with white beneath, then a second orange line with black at the base.
Resulting in a brighter looking train and more practical to keep clean.

Last edited:

Wivenswold

Established Member
Wasn't it confirmed that the yellow is a vinyl? Should revert to Orange if they get NR acceptance is what I thought was happening.

Goldfish62

Established Member
So they've got black up top where it stays cleanest and white, blue, orange down low where the coaches become grubby soonest.
Marvelous idea.
Fortunately that's not a problem because LO trains are generally immaculate externally.

TRAX

Established Member
And it’s not true that the top of trains stay cleanest - with weather, tunnels, and pantograph/OHLE dust, the top part of trains gets very dirty as well.

507 001

Established Member
Jesus. What’s with the black? Looks like they ran out of printer ink half way through.

Julian G

Established Member
378147 should be taken from Ilford to New Cross Gate with another unit going the opposite direction.

Wolfie

Established Member
Marvellous idea.

It would have been better to start with an orange line at the top, followed by white, then blue across the window line, with white beneath, then a second orange line with black at the base.
Resulting in a brighter looking train and more practical to keep clean.
To be fair the Overground trains are rarely dirty on the exterior. They are good at keeping the interiors clean too.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think it would work better with yellow or even blue at the top (but probably yellow). Black from the top down to half way makes it look odd IMO.

theking

Thanks.

Here is 378.147 running into Clapham Junction from Dalston Junction. How long will it be until the unit number reappears back on the front?

They won't that is the new placement for the fleet numbers just like the 710's will have.

Status
Not open for further replies.