• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 378 refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris125

Established Member
I think the paint job would look a lot better if they were able to paint the front end orange like the 710s. Maybe this was the intention but they couldn't get it cleared through the ORR. Perhaps it's still the intention eventually.

Aren't they waiting for new lights to be fitted? Similar situation to the 185s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
I think the paint job would look a lot better if they were able to paint the front end orange like the 710s. Maybe this was the intention but they couldn't get it cleared through the ORR. Perhaps it's still the intention eventually.

Aren't they waiting for new lights to be fitted? Similar situation to the 185s.

The cab ends are painted orange — the yellow is a temporary vinyl until the approvals come through.

ijmad

Established Member
The cab ends are painted orange — the yellow is a temporary vinyl until the approvals come through.

Very interesting! I didn't know this. Makes sense, hope they come off soon, although I guess TfL have other things to worry about with their trains at the moment.

ijmad

Established Member
How many refurbs are there out and about now?

I know there's at least two (because I've seen them both pass each other), but is the programme still on pause due to 710s being late?

Any sign the yellow front might come off at some point?

59CosG95

Established Member

Elshad

Doomotron

However they paint a 378 it won't look like a 710. The fronts are different and the doors open differently. 378209: 710261:
Of course they're going to look different, they're different trains! :D

Last edited:

Sure, but it would require no extra effort to paint the car ends correctly (white), whereas changing the cab ends and doors etc is obviously impossible.
I don't expect them to replace the cabs, but given the 378s' cabs and doors, painting the car ends white is more likely to make them look like 315s than 710s.

i believe plans for recommencing refresh are underway, and may be in the same pot as reforming the 3 x 4 car units first on reversion to 5-cars.

Bessie

Just seen at Clapham Junction a Class 378 in a revised LO livery. There’s a lot more black on the sides. Sorry didn’t get a photo or get the unit number. I assume this will be rolled out to other units.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just seen at Clapham Junction a Class 378 in a revised LO livery. There’s a lot more black on the sides. Sorry didn’t get a photo or get the unit number. I assume this will be rolled out to other units.
I think it was just started and then temporarily deferred due to the requirement to use the stock on the Goblin for a period. Probably getting back on plan again.

But the first reliveried trains were noted quite a while ago, as noted here:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/class-378-refresh.167441/page-7

ijmad

Established Member
There seems to be a few more refreshed trains out and about lately.

Any news or speculation on when they might get the yellow front removed?

Still only 4 units: 135, 136, 147 and 150.

Next ones due by end of year. Still awaiting dates currently. intermediate cars of 378206, 9 and 232 moving to Ilford imminently.

will be the first /2 in new livery. its individual vehicle is being moved also shortly from Willesden as arrived as a 4-car. time in works will be around 4 weeks - ahead of the timetable change in december. it will revert to its 5-car formation ahead of its completion.

The original shortening took place at Willesden of all three 4-car units (for GOB), and as with all class 378 units they will continue to be maintained at New Cross Gate Depot.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
378232 now back at willesden in revised livery and named! Still as a 4-car.

Can't imagine it going back into service as a 5-car with a mix of old and new livery.

If so, a throwback to the 1980s when 4 EPBs were running around in a mix of BR blue/blue and grey livery but before being sent for facelifting/repaint

Last edited:

theking

Someone mentioned on the 710 thread that the dc is going to be a mix for the foreseeable so must be going on there.

D365

Veteran Member
Someone mentioned on the 710 thread that the dc is going to be a mix for the foreseeable so must be going on there.

I was under the impression that the 4 car units would be going back to 5 cars in the foreseeable future. Is there any benefit to the extra cars being left lying around at Willesden?

simple simon

I passed Willesden Junction a few days ago and noted that all three orphan Class 378 carriages had gone.

But also... I wish I had noted the number of the train I arrived at WJ on - this was a 378 that had the new style / colour scheme upholstery. I recall noticing it at Stratford when I boarded it. I suspect that it was one of the units which had been on the Goblin. The external livery was still the original colour format - with white between windows and roof.

What may be significant is that several hours later, when on my way home, I saw and photographed 378 206 at Finchley Road and Frognal.

I've put a copy of the image on Flicker... as seen below! Note the location of the train number - perhaps the only way to see (from the outside) that this was a Goblin unit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.