• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 378's to be shortened to 4 cars and used on GOBLIN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
The MOS B has been removed 38432.

Indeed, I made a point of checking. Sorry, should've posted that...

Units 378.225 - 378.234 were built as 4-car sets with a second MOS inserted (in 2013 from memory...) in true "Southern style"

Yes, I know they're not Southern units but they work on the former Southern Region/Railway who were fond of augmenting units during the 1940s/1950s (e.g. Subs/EPBs)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

No problem, your fine:) So knowing a little bit about the fleet, and sorry it’s a slight digression from topic (but hope you find it interesting).....378202, 225 to 234, 255 to 257 were all delivered and operated from build as 4-car dual voltage units. 378135 to 378154 also operated in service from build as single voltage dc units. They all included the MOS A 382xx vehicles from new. 378201 operated in test unit as a 3-car and never entered service until its 4th car was inserted 38201. 378001 also tested the MOS A production vehicles as a 4-car within its formation, and did run on NR infrastructure at some point with vehicles 38201, 38204 and 38235 (one vehicle at a time and not a 6-car!!) All other units 378003 to 378024 entered service as 3-car units and had the MOS A’s inserted in derby and renumbered into the 3782xx range. Anyway a little bit of history!

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Nice bit of history there, I remember the dual-voltage 3-car units well and thanks for clarifying re 378.001. I knew it was delivered as such and can't remember it in service but I do remember photographing it shortly after renumbering to 378.201. As for 202, I'm gonna have to look through my old photos as my memory is very sketchy on this one - however, I do not remember seeing an "002" so I will bow to your knowledge :D

Curious as to why 378.135 - 378.154 remained as DC-only units as this leaves a big gap in the number series (i.e. "should be" 378.235 - 378.254). Do you have an answer to this one and why they weren't retrofitted with pans? Surely, if Derby don't have much on in the near future, this could be another job for them...

..... just a little further note....

3-car has a DMOS A, PTOS and DMOS B

4-car has a DMOS A, MOS A, PTOS and DMOS B

5-car has a DMOS A, MOS A, PTOS, MOS B and DMOS B.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Curious as to why 378.135 - 378.154 remained as DC-only units as this leaves a big gap in the number series (i.e. "should be" 378.235 - 378.254). Do you have an answer to this one and why they weren't retrofitted with pans? Surely, if Derby don't have much on in the near future, this could be another job for them...

What purpose would that serve? If they are running on DC only routes, it is just another thing that could go wrong for no benefit.

So the single voltage units 378135 to 154 were ordered for the ELL only for the specific duties required for dc operation as there was no intention of operating elsewhere like the /2 units. A specific number were needed for service, and thus delivered and continue in use today. Additionally they have less equipment on such as transformer and tripcocks on and thus cost would have played part of the decision making process I am sure at the time.
378225 to 234 / 255 to 257 are ELR units also but are dual voltage and go anywhere. Those designated for NLR are only 378201 to 378224, but with the mixed fleet you will see a dual voltage unit operating anywhere.

In regard to 378201/2 both were delivered together and commissioned at Chart Leacon, entering service shortly afterwards.....

mmh

Established Member
DLR from Lewisham to Canary Wharf or through to London Bridge for the Jubilee line? The former is about as fast with many more services on the first leg. Also it is quite easy to walk to New Cross Gate.

No it isn't. I've done it numerous times, during both a normal service and enforced due to engineering works. It's a pain.

I find it hard to believe that there are more than a few such people, and surely fewer than use the GOBLIN.

You think there are few people using London Overground northbound from New Cross Gate? Have you ever used the route?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
I see there is a path from Willesden to NXG so wondering if a unit is going to collect 232 - unless a second unit is going to be shortened...

Has 378.232 returned to Willesden?

I went out for 558Q 13.53 from NXG to Willesden T.M.D today as I noticed it was a diesel + trailing load (a 378, unit 232 perhaps?) but it didn't run.

I also noted 378.138 in service today so didn't go to Ilford as I expected (maybe I wrongly assumed this was the 5th unit to go as I saw it in NXG depot the other day with 37.611)

su31

I wonder if the Passenger Information System has the Gospel Oak-Barking route built in or whether the 378's will operate with blank screens.

Ethano92

I wonder if the Passenger Information System has the Gospel Oak-Barking route built in or whether the 378's will operate with blank screens.

Not my video, This is the clip of when the PIS went wrong and said everything that's been uploaded onto the train. At around 5 minutes it starts listing all stations on London Overground from a to z and I didn't listen to all of it but stations such as Barking and Blackhorse Road were mentioned as far as I listened so yes, it does have the GOBLIN route built in.

Please let me know if I have embedded the media wrong. Not entirely sure how to.

I do wonder if there will be a bit of backlash. TFL said new trains would be in service since a year ago and now GOBLIN users will have trains that have been in service for close to a decade, I'm sure some will think those ARE the new trains that have been promised for so long and not be happy. Saying that it's 4 cars so who cares.

plcd1

I do wonder if there will be a bit of backlash. TFL said new trains would be in service since a year ago and now GOBLIN users will have trains that have been in service for close to a decade, I'm sure some will think those ARE the new trains that have been promised for so long and not be happy. Saying that it's 4 cars so who cares.

I think regular passengers will just be pleased if a train service is maintained. If the 4 car runs in the peaks and provides relief to the chronic overcrowding then there will probably be an outbreak of delight / relief. I doubt anyone will care if the train is "old" if they can actually get on it. More likely they'll demand that those "bigger" trains run all the time. Those passengers who comment on social media about the GOBLIN service know the new trains are very late and delayed even more. They're already "not happy" but there's nothing they can do but cope with whatever happens to the service.

nw1

Established Member
I think regular passengers will just be pleased if a train service is maintained. If the 4 car runs in the peaks and provides relief to the chronic overcrowding then there will probably be an outbreak of delight / relief. I doubt anyone will care if the train is "old" if they can actually get on it. More likely they'll demand that those "bigger" trains run all the time. Those passengers who comment on social media about the GOBLIN service know the new trains are very late and delayed even more. They're already "not happy" but there's nothing they can do but cope with whatever happens to the service.

Besides which, are 378s really "old"? Don't seem to recall them plying the lines of London in the 1980s! ;)

colchesterken

It seems so simple there must be a good reason for not doing it !!
TFL own 315 that are going for scrap, TFL need units for Goblin problem solved
It cannot take too long to train drivers on 315 s when they are going to or may have already done the 25kv driving course for the new stock
I want to be the fat controller,

Status
Not open for further replies.