• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did Class 37s ever work Cardiff to Holyhead back in Arriva Trains Wales days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbm013

Did class 37’s ever work the WAG train for Arriva Trains Wales? A friend of mine seems to think they have with Arriva Mk2s but I’m sure it has only been 57s and 67s. I know they have worked (and will be working again) on the Rhymney line but didn’t think they had on the WAG.

Any information would be appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
Did class 37’s ever work the WAG train for Arriva Trains Wales? A friend of mine seems to think they have with Arriva Mk2s but I’m sure it has only been 57s and 67s. I know they have worked (and will be working again) on the Rhymney line but didn’t think they had on the WAG.

Any information would be appreciated
I'm very confident they didn't. Top and tail 37s did do Settle and Carlisle services for Arriva with Mark 2s in their livery. Not Wales but may be an explanation.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They didn't work the service known as 'Gerald' aka "WAG Express" but they did occasionally work services to Manchester/Crewe, especially when the Millenium Stadium was used for football events during the reconstruction of Wembley Stadium.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Class 37s regularly worked some of the Cardiff - Crewe - Manchester / Liverpool services between about 1988 to 1990, until they were replaced by "Sprinters". At that time, there were no regular Cardiff to North Wales services. (Before about 1988, Class 33s had been used on some services from Cardiff to Crewe or Manchester.)

xotGD

Established Member
Class 37s regularly worked some of the Cardiff - Crewe - Manchester / Liverpool services between about 1988 to 1990, until they were replaced by "Sprinters". At that time, there were no regular Cardiff to North Wales services. (Before about 1988, Class 33s had been used on some services from Cardiff to Crewe or Manchester.)
The 33s also worked along the North Wales coast.

Bevan Price

Established Member
The 33s also worked along the North Wales coast.
Yes indeed, but mainly on Crewe / North Wales services. I don't remember 33s being regular performers on the Manchester/North Wales services.

Status
Not open for further replies.