• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387 to GN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I can't say I share that experience of a GWR Class 387 - was on a couple of them earlier this week and in one coach the air con was completely broken and in one of the others only half of the coach seemed to be being cooled!

The GWR ones are newer. The ones on GN are 2-3 years older (they started out on the traditional Thameslink route before moving across to GN last year).

Give them a couple more years and you'll be wishing they had opening windows for use when the air con fails.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've been on a few 387s this week between Kings Cross and Stevenage where the air con wasn't working. Awful conditions, particularly as they've been crush loaded due to the current shambles.

Just sums up the current service from GTR to be honest. I'd much rather travel on a 365, no air con but plenty of opening windows.

If the aircon wasn't working on the 387s, windows can and should be opened by staff (who obviously need to know). Chances are it was just one coach and I know people are asked to report the details (coach number ideally) to staff via Twitter. Then it can be flagged with fleet to be looked at and hopefully get fixed.

bramling

Veteran Member
The GWR ones are newer. The ones on GN are 2-3 years older (they started out on the traditional Thameslink route before moving across to GN last year).

Give them a couple more years and you'll be wishing they had opening windows for use when the air con fails.

I’ve always found the 387s very airless to the point of being unpleasant, even in mild weather. When travelling home first thing in the morning on one for a while with pretty much the train to myself I would always open a window, which really improved the air flow.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
A thought has occurred to me here regarding the 387s.

If a Class 700 has broken down or not available, could a 387 run through the Thameslink core to and from south of the mighty Thames? This is assuming that they still retain their third rail equipment and capability to do so.

bengley

Established Member
No, nothing is using ATO. No drivers are trained (except for a few testing and commissioning drivers)

D365

Veteran Member
I thought the Great Northern ‘preview’ services (i.e. those before May) were using ATO?

Aictos

Established Member
Has ATO taken over through the core now then? I thought it was a while off and most trains still used the conventional signals?

Still conventional signalling in use although ATO has been used.

On Moderation
No, nothing is using ATO. No drivers are trained (except for a few testing and commissioning drivers)
You mean there’s yet more opportunity for GTR to carry on screwing up the service/screwing up people’s lives?

And to think the original plan was the full 24tph from this May....

bengley

Established Member
You mean there’s yet more opportunity for GTR to carry on screwing up the service/screwing up people’s lives?

Yep! Watch this space :lol:

03_179

Established Member
387105 moved to Brighton today on a permanent move to Gatwick Express.

Should be in service from 08/11/2018

Agent_Squash

Established Member

Sorry, when was the original plan 24tph from this May, apart from when the thing was meant to be done in 2015? 20tph was the plan.

bramling

Veteran Member
387105 moved to Brighton today on a permanent move to Gatwick Express.

Should be in service from 08/11/2018

That’s a curious and unexpected move.

Is this a by-product of the Kings Lynn 2tph service not being close to delivery? It’s noticeable that the GN 387s aren’t being particularly intensively used at the moment - they’re worked nothing like as hard as the 365s used to be.

Or is it a result of GTR having two extra 365s over what was originally envisaged? It seems like 365511 and 539 are being retained - at least for the time being?

With the ongoing timetable farce and continuing deep unhappiness about the reliability of the service on the GN side, I suspect the number of 365 services can only increase over time.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Maybe it is the start of the great move back South, with the 387/1s replacing the 313/2s on the coastway. (*Wishful thinking*)

The 387s getting replaced by refurbished 321s (after-all those have 3+2 seating and the folk of Hertfordshire love 3+2 seating)?

03_179

Established Member
It's due to Gatwick Express needing an extra set. It'll be given GX Vinyls whilst at Brighton.

bramling

Veteran Member
Maybe it is the start of the great move back South, with the 387/1s replacing the 313/2s on the coastway. (*Wishful thinking*)

The 387s getting replaced by refurbished 321s (after-all those have 3+2 seating and the folk of Hertfordshire love 3+2 seating)?

No need for 321s, although I’d happily have 321s over a 700 any day, GN users like 365s and would quite happily have the stored ones back - perhaps complete with a timetable where the trains run on time! (or in many cases run at all...)

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
View media item 3242
Need an extra 387 for Overhauls, so I'm informed.

Its tucked away in Lovers Walk where it once started.

Being cynical, how long before we hear of cancellations on the GN side due to no ok stock being available...

There are certainly services where 365s could substitute, however they can’t just slot straight on to 387 diagrams due to massive amounts of dividing and joining.

Class455

Established Member
Still with baby puke green seating inside too? Let's hope it has the software to say Gatwick Express and show the other languages etc.
It should do, as when 387 124 was loaned it seemed to cope fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.