• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM9

Veteran Member
cd423582_2.jpg

Comfortable? Now this is comfortable.

Semi-suburban seats from the 1960s vs semi-suburban seats from 2014.

Progress???!

They were horrible when the padding got flattened and the bar at the front pressed against the back of your leg.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4-COR 3142

They were horrible when the padding got flattened and the bar at the front pressed against the back of your leg.

On a lot of Electrostars you can feel the metal work through the padding from new, give me 4-VEP or better still 4-CIG seats any day.

JaJaWa

Established Member
On a lot of Electrostars you can feel the metal work through the padding from new, give me 4-VEP or better still 4-CIG seats any day.

Unfortunately we now live in a world with fire regulations... ;)

Muzer

Established Member
cd423582_2.jpg

Comfortable? Now this is comfortable.

Semi-suburban seats from the 1960s vs semi-suburban seats from 2014.

Progress???!
Hmm, whatever happened to transverse luggage racks? Seems like a sane idea for extra luggage capacity, especially if you keep the longitudinal ones. Any reason we don't have them any more?

Gareth4949

I'd like to travel on the 387 today to try it out, can anyone confirm the diagrams, i have looked back on the thread but have got a bit lost

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Certainly there is a pair on the first of the diagrams mentioned in post #676.

Class377/5

Established Member
Thanks Bald Rick
Anyone else know if there are any other units out today
Cheers

SX

301/302
2T00 0510 Brighton to Bedford
1J88 0758 Bedford to Elephant & Castle
1G91 1618 Elephant & Castle to Bedford
1T53 1734 Bedford to Brighton
1T56 2034 Brighton to Bedford

303/304
2W87 0142 Bedford to Three Bridge
2W92 0416 Three Bridges to Bedford
1W84 0654 Bedford to Brighton
1T12 0934 Brighton to Bedford
1T31 1210 Bedford to Brighton
2T44 1437 Brighton to Bedford
1W61 1720 Bedford to Brighton
2T66 2007 Brighton to Bedford

305/306
2W93 0312 Bedford to Brighton
1W08 0624 Brighton to Bedford
2T27 0924 Bedford to Brighton
1T22 1204 Brighton to Bedford
1T41 1440 Bedford to Brighton
1W97 1724 Brighton to Bedford
2T77 2222 Bedford to Brighton

303/304 have been 377 vice 387.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Hmm, whatever happened to transverse luggage racks? Seems like a sane idea for extra luggage capacity, especially if you keep the longitudinal ones. Any reason we don't have them any more?

Given the way they're shared, they'd probably cause arguments in this day and age. As well as people potentially dropping things on the head of someone behind/next to them.

Obviously the increased leg room back then was down to slam doors, but there's something perhaps to be said of using a similar design in some parts of a train today - with the increased space being capable of storing bags (or perhaps even a buggy) with people. That does of course require a reasonable sized aisle, and our narrow trains perhaps don't make that possible compared to elsewhere.

AM9

Veteran Member
Given the way they're shared, they'd probably cause arguments in this day and age. As well as people potentially dropping things on the head of someone behind/next to them.

Obviously the increased leg room back then was down to slam doors, but there's something perhaps to be said of using a similar design in some parts of a train today - with the increased space being capable of storing bags (or perhaps even a buggy) with people. That does of course require a reasonable sized aisle, and our narrow trains perhaps don't make that possible compared to elsewhere.

Sounds like a 378! :)

Established Member
Modern day seats are firm.

No we don't have seats anymore that were used to be part of the suspension.

The arm rest near the window doesn't fold up, so what you don't get any arm rests on a 700 unless your in 1st class

Yawn

If you don't like them feel free to send them up north and you can have your 319's back

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member

Weren't they considered dangerous, the train stops suddenly while the luggage continues down the train...

jon0844

Veteran Member
Sounds like a 378! :)

Well, they've got the space but I was thinking of something more like regular seating but more space to fit in luggage etc, perhaps without the table. Or maybe the table could fold down.

Basically, I'm trying to think of new and innovative ways to carry people and think 'outside the box'. Some parts of the train will have high density airline seating, other parts more open (sort of like a family carriage). As and when we get more 12 car services in regular operation, there might be some more scope to be more innovative - but still cater for the busiest periods, where the more open areas would obviously have the potential to carry more standees.

asylumxl

Established Member
Basically, I'm trying to think of new and innovative ways to carry people and think 'outside the box'.

Take a leaf out of India's books and let passengers be outside the box that is the carriage. Easy capacity increase. Just make sure they duck for low bridges and are properly electrically insulated ;).

jon0844

Veteran Member
Take a leaf out of India's books and let passengers be outside the box that is the carriage. Easy capacity increase. Just make sure they duck for low bridges and are properly electrically insulated ;).

I think you took that a little too literally. :D

Would work a lot better in third rail land, and maybe we should be slowing down electrification projects elsewhere...

samj

Does anyone know if the Brighton-London Bridge shorts will be fully 387 operated from the 5th January then? Many thanks.

westcoaster

Established Member
Does anyone know if the Brighton-London Bridge shorts will be fully 387 operated from the 5th January then? Many thanks.

No the shorts will be run by 319's, 387's and 377's so a mixture, also expect to see southern 377's and drivers operating some off peak as well. And also TL drivers driving the southern 377's as well.

The southern stuff is only off peak as there are not enough TL units and drivers to go around, the diagrams are a bit strange with units doing the shorts then coupling to Vic fast at brighton and vis versa.

southern442

Established Member
Modern day seats are firm.

No we don't have seats anymore that were used to be part of the suspension.

The arm rest near the window doesn't fold up, so what you don't get any arm rests on a 700 unless your in 1st class

Yawn

If you don't like them feel free to send them up north and you can have your 319's back

Gladly :lol:

Fincra5

Established Member
No the shorts will be run by 319's, 387's and 377's so a mixture, also expect to see southern 377's and drivers operating some off peak as well. And also TL drivers driving the southern 377's as well.

The southern stuff is only off peak as there are not enough TL units and drivers to go around, the diagrams are a bit strange with units doing the shorts then coupling to Vic fast at brighton and vis versa.

Seems odd that, given TL will have 2 an hour (so i'm told) via the Hills, shouldn't that free up more stock and crew for London Bridge shorts?

westcoaster

Established Member
Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
On a different note, the lavs are nice though why can't you get water without having to get soap?

I am careful washing my hands nowadays. Its inconvenient when the hand dryer does not work but try getting rid of the soap on your hands AFTER you discover there is no water :oops:. Do we really need it so automated ?. If I cannot get water first then I don't wash my hands. I try to remember to always check so I suppose that doubles my use of water if water is available first :roll:.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yeah, been there done that. Soap. No water. Arggghh. At least I'm lucky in that when I travel with my little one, I'll have wet wipes with me.

Often on a 365 the hand dryer won't be working, but that's less of an issue than if the water isn't working (and I can't remember a time when there was no water on a 365).

Class377/5

Established Member

5th January sees 6x 387 diagrams.

Note the Brighton Thameslink services will never be fully 387s ever. It requires the 377s, 29 units is not enough.

Full 387 deployment will be by May.

AM9

Veteran Member
Well, they've got the space but I was thinking of something more like regular seating but more space to fit in luggage etc, perhaps without the table. Or maybe the table could fold down.

Apologies for my levity, but more seriously, the 378s are the epitome of standing room with (almost) adequate seating for the quieter times.

Basically, I'm trying to think of new and innovative ways to carry people and think 'outside the box'. Some parts of the train will have high density airline seating, other parts more open (sort of like a family carriage). As and when we get more 12 car services in regular operation, there might be some more scope to be more innovative - but still cater for the busiest periods, where the more open areas would obviously have the potential to carry more standees.

The 700s will be interesting when they arrive in their final trim. The 2x2 seating trades seating for better circulation along the train, enhanced by the wide gangways between coaches. The Thameslink route serves three major international departure destinations, Luton, Gatwick and St Pancras International. All three attract passengers with luggage that frequently exceeds the capacity of the luggage racks on both 319s and 377/387s. Then there are the passengers who by dint of their health or for their own convenience travel in or with personal wheeled transport.
So there is a call, at times, for some space without any seats. That could best be served with tip-up seats. Commuters are well versed in going for this option when the 'best seats' are taken. Provided that the use of them and priority of the space for other users is signed so that they know what they are getting into (onto). Note that I have tiptoed around the matter addressed in the 'wheelchair/buggies on buses' thread.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
5th January sees 6x 387 diagrams.

Note the Brighton Thameslink services will never be fully 387s ever. It requires the 377s, 29 units is not enough.

Full 387 deployment will be by May.

That must be some relief for those whose tender nether regions aren't up to the harshness of the new Electrostar seats. They can then check on realtime trains and wait for the next soggy seat train. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.