• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thatcham Xing

Took an 387 on a stopper from Thatcham to Reading yesterday, and did some speed monitoring...

Between Thatcham and Midgham we got up to 87mph (it's just under 3 miles between these stations)
Between Midgham and Aldermaston up to 76mph (only just under 2 miles between these)
Between Aldermaston and Theale up to 1mph off linespeed at 99mph (in about 3.5 miles between these)
Between Theale and Reading West, easily up to 85mph before braking for the 60mph curve at Southcote Jct.

Impressive I thought.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Took an 387 on a stopper from Thatcham to Reading yesterday, and did some speed monitoring...

Between Thatcham and Midgham we got up to 87mph (it's just under 3 miles between these stations)
Between Midgham and Aldermaston up to 76mph (only just under 2 miles between these)
Between Aldermaston and Theale up to 1mph off linespeed at 99mph (in about 3.5 miles between these)
Between Theale and Reading West, easily up to 85mph before braking for the 60mph curve at Southcote Jct.

Impressive I thought.

Have you been on one of those 387 semifast services on that line yet?

(Ie the 16:48 Newbury - Paddington which also gets the bonus of being routed on the mains for extra speed)

317 forever

Established Member
For a given definition of permanent, it will be a mix. The services that aren’t 387-operated now are the ones that are too difficult to unpick from other diesel work.

Maybe they will be able to revise the timetable in May or December so that the services are suitably segregated to prevent any diesels from being needed in place of 387s.

Thatcham Xing

Have you been on one of those 387 semifast services on that line yet?

Yes, I've done the 1K11, departs Newbury at 0923 on weekdays and was an HST run until the beginning of January.

I remember that the Thatcham to Theale run was covered in 7 mins, and we sat at Theale for what seemed an age (but was actually about 3 mins) so as not to outrun the timetable.

This service also runs on the up main from Reading and, although I wasn't measuring speed I'm fairly sure we arrived in Paddington a few minutes early (the timetable allows 32 mins for this service, which could be achieved by a Turbo, let alone an HST or a 387 running at 110 on the up main).

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I don't know why but the heating and air-conditioning on the Class 387's I've found very reliable.

Sorry to potentially confuse but look at the tiny holes just below the window that are virtually in line with the table and that's where you get the heating.

The Class 165 and 166 Turbos may have proved extremely reliable (at least since I've seen these about) but the Class 387's provide a far better travelling experience.

Bit of advice for anyone sitting longer on a 387 say to London - (depending how the train is formed and if the seat is available) head for the table seat behind the disabled toilet that's opposite the wheelchair space and you'll find guaranteed ample leg room and only 2 seats behind it and none opposite :)! That way you don't get anyone opposite you potentially giving you little room to stretch out.

Note also that the GWR Class 387 services are all Off-Peak - at least from London Paddington according to the notice near one or two of the ticket barriers at Paddington!

Status
Not open for further replies.