• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387

Status
Not open for further replies.

talldave

Established Member
Are they likely to get any 'Express or Gatwick Express' branding? Despite being bright red I think they look a little bland.

I think they'll end up getting nicknamed the 'Fire Engines'otherwise.

Quite appropriate if they get to follow a 442!

....seats......283 ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

physics34

Established Member
Are they likely to get any 'Express or Gatwick Express' branding? Despite being bright red I think they look a little bland.

Would some vinyls or two tone paint really break the bank? especially as they are supposed to stay on that route for a number of years.

Just white Gatwick express branding...same font as now. Should be stripes as well but they won't even think of that.

RobShipway

Established Member

Would some vinyls or two tone paint really break the bank? especially as they are supposed to stay on that route for a number of years.

Surely, they would be 'Firestars' rather tan 'Fire Engines'.

ARoo21

They will get branding, this is the first coach on static testing at Derby Litchurch Lane.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Having previously said my other half found them uncomfortable, now having used them myself, I think they work quite well.

Lets be honest, they're not comfortable, but the height and the pitch make it bearable. We recently went from Bedford to Gatwick and only around Elephant and Castle did I start to get a numb bum.

On the way back, no worries though, which was odd.

I also suffer from shoulder problems as well as back problems, the 377's (2+2) coaches are lovely to sit on, but are murder for my shoulders as the armrests appear to be around my nipples.

319's were soft but far too low so knees clashes and coccyx's painful.

I think 387's are the best we're gonna get tbh. If they had a slightly concave seat, I think they would be perfect
Really? I have/had a back problem and I've done Gatwick - Bedford by 387 and I still found the seats comfortable :/ everyone's different I guess. I am much more comfortable on 'ironing board' like seating than something overly soft and springy
I have some issues with my back too, and I much prefer the Class 387 seats and both types of Desiro seats to the 458 ones. The Class 375/377 2+2 seats I also find a bit low and the armrests too high, and horrible if the padding is old and sagging.

The Class 319 etc low and raked back seats are perfect for putting me to sleep almost every time :oops:. Anything raked back can do that, like the Networker seats or even the 444 ones.

I have once done Bedford to Brighton and it was fine for me and I have back problems. I think judging these and other modern seating provisions against nostalgic memories of MKI seating (when we were all much younger) is unrealistic. MKI compartment stock (6 a side and 2+3) had a long springy seat that sagged all over the place subject to loading. The 4VEC seating was OK when brand new but the foam collapsed with use, the edge of the seat became particularly uncomfortable and the posture was awful.
Yes everone's different so any seat for public use will have some detractors. They have taken what is the consensus of experts into consideration and gone for a healthy posture.
The 72ts seats are like that. Each cushion is shared between two and it means if you're already sitting down and someone else sits next to you with even a bit of force, you get launched into the air! Also doesn't help with the bouncy ride of that stock.

transmanche

Established Member
The 72ts seats are like that. Each cushion is shared between two and it means if you're already sitting down and someone else sits next to you with even a bit of force, you get launched into the air!
Ah, the fun we used to have as kids doing that! :)

transmanche

Established Member
I was demonstrating the seats on the 72ts the other day to friends who'd been on the Bakerloo before. Was quite funny :)
Although be careful not to bounce too hard on the seats, or you might cause this to happen!

[youtube]giU81hhoBYg[/youtube]

Deepgreen

Established Member
Although be careful not to bounce too hard on the seats, or you might cause this to happen!

[youtube]giU81hhoBYg[/youtube]

So, as long as people don't take lump hammers to the seats to extract dust, all is well! What is this supposed to reveal - that there might possibly be deeply-ingrained dirt in seats that see intensive use, day in and day out? Well done, 'Time Out' - cutting-edge reporting!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Only because the original artist's impressions much earlier in this thread showed it with - ignoring the doors - a single colour and no discernible branding.

I just don't think you can give much credibility to artist's impressions when it comes to that level of detail. Whatever they are attempting to portray (not just trains) they almost always look completely different in reality.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not sure if it has come up in this thread, but the GW direct award franchise spec is now issued online and includes the following dates for transfer of the units to the GW. The lease start date for all the units is to be 31 Mar 16 - so in the way of things presumably those not transferring initially will be sub-leased back to TSGN!

The first two batches are only one month apart so that's effectively 10 away from TSGN at once.

29 Class 387 units (116vehicles) are delivered in four distinct phases:
- 6 units by end of March 2016;
- 4 units by end of April 2016;
- 8 units by end of February 2017;
- 11 units by end of March 2017

Additional 8 Class 387 units: Delivery is based on final acceptance, which is at a rate of 2 units every two weeks starting in the second week of January 2017.

Page 144 of this: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...426295/FGW_Interim_Franchise_Agreement_02.pdf

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
Not sure if it has come up in this thread, but the GW direct award franchise spec is now issued online and includes the following dates for transfer of the units to the GW. The lease start date for all the units is to be 31 Mar 16 - so in the way of things presumably those not transferring initially will be sub-leased back to TSGN!

The first two batches are only one month apart so that's effectively 10 away from TSGN at once.

Interesting the last 19 were meant to be released in 2018 in the TSGN ITT so obviously some changes 365s to be released little later or is delivery and entry into service of the 700s expected to completely slightly earlier?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Interesting the last 19 were meant to be released in 2018 in the TSGN ITT so obviously some changes 365s to be released little later or is delivery and entry into service of the 700s expected to completely slightly earlier?

The same agreement shows GW get their 21 x 365s on 01 Jan 17. Perhaps it is down to some of the 319s sticking around longer.

I just assume that the more up to date agreement supersedes any stuff published well before. It's difficult to keep track of it all across so many DfT documents isn't it...

hwl

Established Member
The same agreement shows GW get their 21 x 365s on 01 Jan 17. Perhaps it is down to some of the 319s sticking around longer.

I just assume that the more up to date agreement supersedes any stuff published well before. It's difficult to keep track of it all across so many DfT documents isn't it...

And/or 317s and 321s hanging around for longer too.

Time to read the latest DfT documents along with a pencil and large bit of paper...

So the equivalent of at least 50 4car units (+ some more to account for 12 car instead of 8 car services) worth of 700s needed in service by the end of 2016 then. But they should deliver circa double that before the last of the units leave for FGW so there should be major problems unless clearance type works on certain routes haven't been completed)

Then there are the 700s to cover for the 25x 377/1s to SE later in 2017 as well.

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member

Why sub leased back? TSGN franchise is only supposed to keep stock for around a month after its replacement comes in. February sees 700s replacing 387s Thameslink to allow the units to transfer.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Why sub leased back? TSGN franchise is only supposed to keep stock for around a month after its replacement comes in. February sees 700s replacing 387s Thameslink to allow the units to transfer.

Because 31 Mar 16 (when the lease for all the units starts), is exactly a year earlier than Mar 17, when the last units transfer? That's how it is written, anyway.

Class377/5

Established Member
Because 31 Mar 16 (when the lease for all the units starts), is exactly a year earlier than Mar 17, when the last units transfer? That's how it is written, anyway.

Ah I get you now. The rumour is TSGN be maintaining the 387s for GWR anyway until Reading Depot is ready for eletric stock so it might be more complex than we think.

MCR247

Established Member
And as that's the first time I've seen someone mention the acronym TGN... ;)

It's the first time I've seen the acronym, but FCC was the Thamslink Great Northern franchise and I've seen that multiple times

And/or 317s and 321s hanging around for longer too.

Time to read the latest DfT documents along with a pencil and large bit of paper...

So the equivalent of at least 50 4car units (+ some more to account for 12 car instead of 8 car services) worth of 700s needed in service by the end of 2016 then. But they should deliver circa double that before the last of the units leave for FGW so there should be major problems unless clearance type works on certain routes haven't been completed)

Then there are the 700s to cover for the 25x 377/1s to SE later in 2017 as well.

I might be confusing things here, but are the dates for GN 317/321 displacement influenced by the deal done with ScotRail & LM and its 321 for 319s? Wasn't the story that ScotRail were to get 7x GN 321s, but to avoid having to replace them (very) temporarily with 319s, a deal was done for ScotRail to get the LM 321s, allowing GN to retain their 321s until the planned 2017/18 replacement dates?

4-COR 3142

I have just been told that the first 387/2 has been released for testing, is there any truth in this? and if so does anyone know planned movements?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Thanks Temple good to know one /2 is finally out.

The picture is really interesting as 201 is devoid of branding at present so looks exactly like the original artists impression.
So which company is it? Southern, Thameslink or Gatwick Express?

(ducks!)

Status
Not open for further replies.