• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 395 acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Well I've looked around the internet, and I can't seem to find any official looking acceleration figures for the Cl395.

There are videos on Youtube but the only ones with GPS displays I can actually read are from Ebbsfleet heading towards London which has obvious problems with the low speed pointwork and the tunnel messing with signal.

Does anyone have a video that does not have a huge tunnel half way through or better yet some figures from testing on open track? (AlthougH I imagine there is hardly ever a circumstance where the train would come to a halt on open track on HS1).

Specifically I'm looking for 0-60mph and 0-~100mph figures under 25kV.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
from Ebbsfleet towards Ashford they should I'd have thought have pretty much unencumbered acceleration?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
They have a acceleration rate of 0.70 m/s2

Yes, unfortunately that is instantaneous maximum service acceleration, which is not the same as the time to speed figure, because the acceleration neglects effects that increase with speed such as air resistance.

Otherwise I could just crunch the numbers for the time to 65kph (when they become power limited) and then use kinetic energy calculations to generate times to other speeds.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Yes, it's why they top out at 225km/h, they're designed to do sprints between the stations. They've got motors on 16 out of 24 axles- all four intermediate coaches are Bo'Bo axle configuration

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Yes, it's why they top out at 225km/h, they're designed to do sprints between the stations. They've got motors on 16 out of 24 axles- all four intermediate coaches are Bo'Bo axle configuration

Indeed, they inherit that much from the S400 Shinkansen from which they are derived.

I do think that this is the future of outer suburban trains..... can we have some more for the outer suburban runs on the GWML.... or are all those going to be IEP?

DownSouth

Established Member
IEP is Hitachi, so I would expect the traction equipment should be off the Shinkansen shelf for the electric version. What they acceleration/speed compromise they gear it for will depend on what speeds become attainable on the lines once 21st century signalling (or even late 20th century might do) replaces visual signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.