• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 395 - Javelins

Status
Not open for further replies.

user15681

Established Member
All of SE's Class 395s are having a vinyl added to the side of the train at the front as shown here...

1537.jpg

These are to show they are the Javelin services for the Olympics. Ladies and gentlemen, you can now rightly call these trains the Javelins.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class377/5

Established Member
Interesting, they are physically branding them. Is that the only part if the train to receive the branding as its a little out of the way.

user15681

Established Member
As far as I know, that's the only bit to receive the branding, although I should imagine it's on both sides and at both ends? It's out of the way, but it's the first thing you'll notice when the train arrives.

Interestingly, Boris Johnson has recorded announcements that will play at SE stations from next week (3rd July) until after the Paralympic Games (9th September), advising people where to go for travel advice. Not sure if many people will be able to cope with announcements from Boris for 2 months, but we'll see...

jon0844

Veteran Member
If he bumbles along like he usually does, the trains will be heavily delayed or leave empty.

Only one unit - 395026 - has so far had the 'Javelin' branding applied to one of the PDTSOs.

And 395s have been called Javelin's since their introduction some 3 years ago!

user15681

Established Member
Only one unit - 395026 - has so far had the 'Javelin' branding applied to one of the PDTSOs.

Yep, but I got the impression this branding would be applied to all.

Well, they were only 'nicknamed' Javelins since their introduction - they were never actually called Javelins, just scheduled for the Javelin service. Now they are called Javelins, or at least for the period of the Olympics.

fgwrich

Established Member
Interesting, they are physically branding them. Is that the only part if the train to receive the branding as its a little out of the way.

I have to wonder though, how much it's going to cost to do this to the fleet (and im not talking how much is a sheet of vinyl, more for the stylised font). :lol:

As for the Boris announcements. Enjoy people of South Eastern, while i dislike Annoying Annie & Celia, the thought of the Boris announcements is even worse!

Class377/5

Established Member

Yep, but I got the impression this branding would be applied to all.

Well, they were only 'nicknamed' Javelins since their introduction - they were never actually called Javelins, just scheduled for the Javelin service. Now they are called Javelins, or at least for the period of the Olympics.

Correct. Term Javelin is an Olympic trademark. The name only applies technically to the St Pancras - Stratford - Ebbesfleet shuttles.

I have to wonder though, how much it's going to cost to do this to the fleet (and im not talking how much is a sheet of vinyl, more for the stylised font). :lol:

As for the Boris announcements. Enjoy people of South Eastern, while i dislike Annoying Annie & Celia, the thought of the Boris announcements is even worse!

I'm sure it's tied into the budgets and we'll never know.

Thought of Boris announcements is scary at best!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Hmmm... Boris taking ages to say all the stations and then getting it all wrong...

...Or Atos Anne?

Let's start a campaign to get Boris nationwide!

rail-britain

Established Member

DownSouth

Established Member
Hmmm... Boris taking ages to say all the stations and then getting it all wrong...

...Or Atos Anne?

Let's start a campaign to get Boris nationwide!
Could be useful in the event of the Olympics turning into an invasion, kind of like mixing up the road signs in WWII to confuse German invasion forces.

D365

Veteran Member
Anyone going to be recording Bozz's special announcements? And I like the Javelin branding; I'm guessing that's partially why the 395 fleet was ordered?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I assume Boris will be talking at St. Pancras and Stratford Intl. :lol:

Schnellzug

Established Member
Seems to make the livery slightly more interesting. Is there any particular reason why they have such a boring livery? I'd always assumed it was just the base colour for something to go on top, but nothing ever did.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Correct. Term Javelin is an Olympic trademark. !

Does that mean that Lord Coe and LOCOG will be taking retrospective action for copyright infringement against Alexander Dennis?

kizzyboi

Question: During the Olympics the High Speed Services are going to Ashford Only except the Olympics Shuttles.
BTW i leave near the Hitachi High Speed Depot in Ashford and ive seen 3 or 4 'Javelin Trains'.

MCR247

Established Member
Where's the question in that?!

And just look in the timetable, that's what most people who will answer it will have to do?

Class377/5

Established Member
Does that mean that Lord Coe and LOCOG will be taking retrospective action for copyright infringement against Alexander Dennis?

No as it's not a LOCOG trademark but one of the IOC.

And if you quote me in the future can you not add bits to my quote, goes against the whole idea of a discussion if you edit what you disagree/comment on.

Question: During the Olympics the High Speed Services are going to Ashford Only except the Olympics Shuttles.
BTW i leave near the Hitachi High Speed Depot in Ashford and ive seen 3 or 4 'Javelin Trains'.

You haven't see any Javelin trains, you seen Class 395 units. Javelin is the offical name for the Olympic Park shuttle, not the HS1 services.

starrymarkb

Established Member

And if you quote me in the future can you not add bits to my quote, goes against the whole idea of a discussion if you edit what you disagree/comment on.

You haven't see any Javelin trains, you seen Class 395 units. Javelin is the offical name for the Olympic Park shuttle, not the HS1 services.

Members of the public call them Javelins - it amuses me that so many enthusiasts support the IOC in banning the name. After all come September there will be nothing to stop the Javelin brand being used as the Olympic trademark protection expires after the games...

Schnellzug

Established Member

And if you quote me in the future can you not add bits to my quote, goes against the whole idea of a discussion if you edit what you disagree/comment on. .

I'm sorry? What bits did I add to your quote? What was there in what I said to take exception to? The point of editing what one quotes is if one only wishes to comment on a particular bit, it saves space.

{is puzzled :|}

Class377/5

Established Member
I'm sorry? What bits did I add to your quote? What was there in what I said to take exception to? The point of editing what one quotes is if one only wishes to comment on a particular bit, it saves space.

{is puzzled :|}

There was an extra ! mark in my wuoye which seemed to be suggestive (but not I'm not so sure) that either you thought it was a mad statement or something was missing.

Ah it does seem my first reply was incorrect, the term Javelin is a trademark of the LOCOG it seems.

Members of the public call them Javelins - it amuses me that so many enthusiasts support the IOC in banning the name. After all come September there will be nothing to stop the Javelin brand being used as the Olympic trademark protection expires after the games...

You seriously know someone who has no interest in the railway but calls them Javelin's? I think most public call them blue trains from what I've experienced.

starrymarkb

Established Member
You seriously know someone who has no interest in the railway but calls them Javelin's? I think most public call them blue trains from what I've experienced.

I've had a few enquiries about them at work using the Javelin name, they might be enthusiasts but they seemed normal (by the standards of work) I know there has been a concerted effort to stop the name catching on prior to the Olympics...

Schnellzug

Established Member
There was an extra ! mark in my wuoye which seemed to be suggestive (but not I'm not so sure) that either you thought it was a mad statement or something was missing. .

Oh no, it was just a random bit of punctuation which I left in. i wasn't trying to insinuate anything, don't worry.

user15681

Established Member

Most people here, and many places where they run, call them Highspeed trains. But I have heard them called the blue trains often.

Class377/5

Established Member
Most people here, and many places where they run, call them Highspeed trains. But I have heard them called the blue trains often.

To be far we in work all call them Javelin's but technically we're all wrong!

Oh no, it was just a random bit of punctuation which I left in. i wasn't trying to insinuate anything, don't worry.

Ah cool. Glad that's cleared up.

I've had a few enquiries about them at work using the Javelin name, they might be enthusiasts but they seemed normal (by the standards of work) I know there has been a concerted effort to stop the name catching on prior to the Olympics...

My little brothers used to call them blue trains. They used to get so excited over them!

gage75

I must say that every time I see one it reminds me of a goose/duck in flight :D

Status
Not open for further replies.