• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 397 TPE "Nova 2" Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc_

1M93 today is 397005 - TPE JourneyCheck states "this service will be formed of 4 coaches instead of 5 coaches due to more trains than usual needing repair". Was therefore surprised to see a 397 turn up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railperf

Established Member
How many 397 diagrams are there now? Any updates on which ones?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
AFAIA all Manchester-Scotland services are operated by Class 397 at the moment. I know someone who took a 397 on Liverpool-Glasgow via The Lakes recently too. Having said that, there is a reduced service at the moment of course. Perhaps some 185s will have to assist when the full timetable is reinstated but 350s are all gone and for now the 397s are the sole traction.

djpontrack

I’m not sure of the exact diagrams but all TPE services that go North or South of Preston are 397’s. We don’t have any 350’s anymore and we’re not allowed 185’s now.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I’m not sure of the exact diagrams but all TPE services that go North or South of Preston are 397’s. We don’t have any 350’s anymore and we’re not allowed 185’s now.

Sounds like (a fair) punishment to me. 185s should run as 6-car as much as possible on other routes.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Nothing to do with train lengths but all to with the services now being timed for 110/125mph.....

Is that a post-lockdown thing then? Mind you when I went to Glasgow on the 29th of February I took Avanti from Preston outbound as the 397 had no available driver North of there! The return was completely in darkness so there was less evidence of speed.

The Bear

Is that a post-lockdown thing then? Mind you when I went to Glasgow on the 29th of February I took Avanti from Preston outbound as the 397 had no available driver North of there! The return was completely in darkness so there was less evidence of speed.
No, the Manchester-Scotland schedules went over to class397/125mph timings from the Dec2019 timetable (from class350/110mph). The Liverpool-Glasgow schedules changed from class185/100mph to class397/125mph timings from the May(2020) timetable change.
Because of the tight pathing etc the use of 185s is now banned, particularly since some of the Liverpool Scots have had stops added brought about because of the faster 397s.
I believe a similar 185 ban is in force on the ECML north of York for the same reasons.

djpontrack

No, the Manchester-Scotland schedules went over to class397/125mph timings from the Dec2019 timetable (from class350/110mph). The Liverpool-Glasgow schedules changed from class185/100mph to class397/125mph timings from the May(2020) timetable change.
Because of the tight pathing etc the use of 185s is now banned, particularly since some of the Liverpool Scots have had stops added brought about because of the faster 397s.
I believe a similar 185 ban is in force on the ECML north of York for the same reasons.

I’ve been told that Preston train crew don’t sign 185’s anymore due to the changes with C-ASDO on the units. Don’t ask me anything too technical guys as I’m only onboard Revenue Protection.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Thanks, so I would've been doing 125 on my Glasgow to Manchester back just before COVID.

route101

Established Member
All TPE services up WCML are 397s though the timetable is limited, anyone know when it increases?

bengley

Established Member
Some of the way, I believe 397s are allowed to exceed the 110mph limit for non-tilt stock on 4or5 stretches of the WCML.
Not correct at the moment. 397s are restricted to 110 as there are currently no parts of the route where 125mph is permissible.

8 unit diagrams from tomorrow I am led to believe.

We indeed cannot drive 185s in service at Preston at the moment - nobody has had the CASDO rebrief, but we can take them with CASDO isolated, empty stock.

dan4291

Pretty sure 185s still go north of York as they're still doing Middlesbrough/Redcar services, although they are due to move to the Nova 3 sets at some point.

J-P_L

185s are not used North of Newcastle they can still run to Newcastle when needed (ie unit failure)

Railperf

Established Member
Have the running times been reduced? As these only do 110mph in passenger service - in spite of testing at higher speeds in places. Still no official word on where and when the faster sections come into operation. Maybe next timetable change ? I'm guessing May next year now at the earliest?

driver9000

Established Member
Have the running times been reduced? As these only do 110mph in passenger service - in spite of testing at higher speeds in places. Still no official word on where and when the faster sections come into operation. Maybe next timetable change ? I'm guessing May next year now at the earliest?

Running times are the same currently.

MDB1images

Just as an update on this thread(came across it whilst looking for the current Castle HST diagrams!)all Manchester Airport/Liverpool to Edinburgh/Glasgow WCML services are booked 397's.

_toommm_

Established Member
Just as an update on this thread(came across it whilst looking for the current Castle HST diagrams!)all Manchester Airport/Liverpool to Edinburgh/Glasgow WCML services are booked 397's.

We've covered this a while ago, as Preston now no longer sign 185s (due to ASDO changes), and the 350s have gone South.

kc_

Does anyone know why the 0422 GLC-MIA (1M90) is terminating at Preston and continuing to Piccadilly out of passenger service? It shows up on the TPE website as 'engineering work', at least until 23/10. I suspect the train is going to Longsight from Piccadilly, though unless I've missed something, I don't see why they couldn't terminate the service at Piccadilly instead?

Fokx

Does anyone know why the 0422 GLC-MIA (1M90) is terminating at Preston and continuing to Piccadilly out of passenger service? It shows up on the TPE website as 'engineering work', at least until 23/10. I suspect the train is going to Longsight from Piccadilly, though unless I've missed something, I don't see why they couldn't terminate the service at Piccadilly instead?

It can do this if there’s a lack of Conductor to take it over from Preston towards Manchester as the train could run with a driver but not with conductor.

I suspect this was likely to be another fault however.

CHAPS2034

Possibly no guard available as TPE normally change crews at Preston?

However, as it looks like it is a regular move under the current timetable, it could be a balancing move or one to get it back to Longsight for spannering?

kc_

Possibly no guard available as TPE normally change crews at Preston?

However, as it looks like it is a regular move under the current timetable, it could be a balancing move or one to get it back to Longsight for spannering?

What's a balancing move?

If they needed to regularly get a unit back to Longsight, I'm surprised they'd cut this service short, as it's popular with commuters needing to be in Manchester for 9:00.

CHAPS2034

What's a balancing move?

If they needed to regularly get a unit back to Longsight, I'm surprised they'd cut this service short, as it's popular with commuters needing to be in Manchester for 9:00.

A balancing move if I understand correctly is to get the unit back to where it needs to be for its next operation.

It may be popular with commuters, but if they have no guard then it can't run in service.

Status
Not open for further replies.