"Class 42 blue livery - query" or "BR Chromatic Blue"

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by Peter C, 20 Jul 2019.

1. Peter C

Peter C Established Member

That is also a factor - good point. :)

-Peter

2. randyrippley

randyrippley Established Member

not just locos, ships as well
    Its been documented elsewhere that when the Manx Viking was put into the JV with the Isle of Man Steampacket, they just painted the black over the blue.........no undercoat, they didn't even bother to wash the dirt off or prime the rust spots. The Tynwald (aka Antrim Princess) always looked like it had been treated the same way

3. randyrippley

and a key point is none of them look like the greenish tinged blue that I remember.........but I have to temper that by saying my two eyes see colours slightly differently anyway

4. randyrippley

go back to post #9
    that picture of the 27 with the paint plastered over the top of rust and filler is pretty typical of how locos were treated when painted at their sheds, especially later in their lives. Locos painted at works would be usually stripped back to the metal and look much tidier.
    Also the greenish tinge in that photo is much how I remember the colour: modern electronics are far better at rendering colour correctly than wet film

5. Alanko

Alanko Member

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
    Flickr is useful as there are thousands of photos of the BR Blue era on there. It gets interesting when two people upload photos of the same event:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can't trust scanned photo negatives or vintage colour photography!

6. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

That’s a very interesting contrast isn’t it? To my eyes the first photo looks more natural, but only if I don’t stare at the second one for too long!

7. randyrippley

second one is clearly "wrong" - even the brickwork is off colour
    doesn't make the first one "right" though

8. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

While some people are in short sleeve shirts, one lad can't bear to part with his anorak! If you look at the dayglow red of the lining, plus on that young lad's cap, it is clear that the colours are all over the place in the second photo.

9. AndrewE

AndrewE Established Member

10. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

The second one has clearly suffered from age and has a slight light blue colour cast over everything. I have seen similar happen with some of my older pictures.

11. Taunton

Taunton Established Member

Several points.

Firstly, in those times it was very common for users of better cameras to have Lens Filters, of which there was a huge range, entirely to adjust the way colour was represented on the film.

Then, different films rendered colours different ways. The best was always Kodachrome, which had a patented process nobody else could use, and which you had to send away to a Kodak lab for processing, the local shop couldn't do it. Among other things, this always rendered blue sky/white clouds far more strikingly than other films. In the USA "Trains" magazine even nicknamed such photos "Kodachrome skies". Kodak later introduced Kodacolor, cheaper and the local lab could do it. Results notably different. I bet the 08 picture above with blue sky/fluffy clouds behind was taken on Kodachrome.

Blue was always the "difficult" colour. You only have to look at all those nice summer day photos, including above, to find that the blue sky has rendered a milky white. In fact one of the key decision points behind the 1964 BR blue livery was that ICI had finally developed a blue paint which was more colour stable than what had gone before, and thus it seemed "trendy" for the consultants to recommend it as something which broke with the reds and greens used previously. But it seems the new pigment was not all it was cracked up to be.

Paint is of course dependent on the previous colour not showing through, otherwise undercoats and multiple coats would not be necessary. Most locomotives were green previously, and dependent on what thickness was used, and in those days there was still mostly imprecise brush painting, the final result would differ. Small differences in the amount of thinners etc used would also impact the colour precision.

12. gavino22

gavino22 New Member

Hi Peter,

It was a permissions settings issue, Ive changed it and hopefully the image should be visible now.
    This thread just gets better and better with the amount of technical information being shared / discussed. Thanks all!

13. Peter C

Peter C Established Member

Oh excellent. :D
    You're welcome regarding the thread - it does make for interesting reading!

-Peter