• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 43 LNER Farewell Railtour Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
What will happen with that train and their other 125 sets? I hope some could be preserved or reused elsewhere.

WesternLancer

Established Member
What will happen with that train and their other 125 sets? I hope some could be preserved or reused elsewhere.
The other LNER sets are being cascaded to the Midland Main Line some time in the new year, (as EMR's HST fleet are less disability compliant and are thus going to be retired from their use with EMR). Not sure of the plan for this restored set however.

zjc

Anyone any ideas what times the ticket collection is open from the day before?

SteveyBee131

The other LNER sets are being cascaded to the Midland Main Line some time in the new year, (as EMR's HST fleet are less disability compliant and are thus going to be retired from their use with EMR). Not sure of the plan for this restored set however.
I seem to remember reading somewhere on here it was going to one of the charter/spot-hire operators, I can't remember which though.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Six of the ten Angel Trains sets and three of the five Porterbrook sets (EC61 - EC63 specifically) are going to East Midlands Railway to replace their existing HST fleet in the short term.

The two remaining Porterbrook sets, EC64 and EC65, are off lease and were destined for scrap in South Wales but are currently stored.

Three of the remaining Angel Trains sets (Including EC54 and EC55 already there) are going into storage at Ely alongside their ex-GWR sisters, while Locomotive Services Limited are selecting vehicles to form a rake for spot hire and charter work. I've seen no confirmation however that it's the blue and grey set that's been selected for this work.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Six of the ten Angel Trains sets and three of the five Porterbrook sets (EC61 - EC63 specifically) are going to East Midlands Railway to replace their existing HST fleet in the short term.

The two remaining Porterbrook sets, EC64 and EC65, are off lease and were destined for scrap in South Wales but are currently stored.

Three of the remaining Angel Trains sets (Including EC54 and EC55 already there) are going into storage at Ely alongside their ex-GWR sisters, while Locomotive Services Limited are selecting vehicles to form a rake for spot hire and charter work. I've seen no confirmation however that it's the blue and grey set that's been selected for this work.
It would be good if it was. I always liked that livery.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'd imagine it's only on the day

The email form the tour company specifically refers it the day before. Here is the wording:

Please take this email to the Inter-City 125 collection point at Edinburgh, Inverness or Leeds. These will be on the main concourse and open the day before and on the day of travel.

hstobserver

Just looking for some more detailed timings for the Northern Light and Highland Chieftain. When is the Northern Light due in Aberdeen, and will it physically stop at Insch?

Cheers

Entertexthere

WesternLancer

Established Member
I like that fact that the page is about the HST yet there are 2 photos of a class 91 and a Mk4 DVT. It also mentions that 45 HSTs are being replaced by 65 Azumas, I do wonder if they know what trains they're actually running!
I wouldn't reply on a comms department to know that...

This brochure on that page (so thanks for the link) is rather nice - shame they didn't have copies of that available on the final service runs!
https://www.lner.co.uk/globalassets/lner623-hst-farewell---event-booklet-v8----web.pdf

Colby James

Okay question I know this 43006 / 43206 is in former 253003 but what about 43112 / 43312 what number is it 253 or 254 has anyone got confirmation about it.

SteveyBee131

No it isn't. The grey/white band should have equal depth above and below the windows.
Well, if I can remember the intricate details of the LNER HST livery compared with the 91/Mk4s in 35 years time, I'll be a very happy man! Back to the present, I'm just glad they're having a blooming good go at the original HST livery. Whether it's rivet-countingly perfect or not, I don't care because it still looks absolutely fantastic!

SteveyBee131

Okay question I know this 43006 / 43206 is in former 253003 but what about 43112 / 43312 what number is it 253 or 254 has anyone got confirmation about it.
The 253s were 7 carriages, while the 254s were 8. Herein lies another rivet-counting can of worms! 43006 (as she was), was a Western region machine, and part of a 7 carriage set originally.
43112 (as she was) was an ECML machine, and part of an 8 carriage set, so strictly speaking would be a 254 (to hand, I know not which exactly). As we know, the modern day 'Farewell Tour' set, is just 7 coaches. So should 112/312 call her what you will have her original 254 set number, imagining she'd been either been borrowed or the set was temporarily short formed? Or should she carry a 253 set number, not original to her or the route, but more in keeping with the formation of the tour set?

Having said all that, like I said a short while ago, whatever the outcome, the whole thing looks brilliant anyway!
I'll leave this here, and get my coat! o_O:lol:

Oh well if we’re in true pedant mode... when built, they didn’t have a TSG in the consist - they were all straight trailer seconds... and from memory, the 8-car 254s has two buffet/restaurant cars??

But - I’m just happy to see it looking great... the photos on twitter show they have done a fantastic job - full credit to LNER and the teams for putting this together

Status
Not open for further replies.