• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 43 LNER Farewell Railtour Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steddenm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leightonbd

upload_2019-12-20_19-35-23.jpeg
These pix won’t win prizes; but I was pleased to have the chance to see this vision from my university visits many years ago (and 10,000 miles behind it this year). Respect.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Who is funding it?

have to say iam so impressed with the effort and care that has gone into the final journeys of the 125s on LNER.

Much better than what GWR did thats for sure

WesternLancer

Established Member
Who is funding it?

have to say iam so impressed with the effort and care that has gone into the final journeys of the 125s on LNER.

don't think that is fair tbh - I had loads of trips to different destinations on GWR in run up to the end - all organised deliberately for HST daigrams - plus a big send off day at Paddington and a tour not unlike this - sans paint job...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
don't think that is fair tbh - I had loads of trips to different destinations on GWR in run up to the end - all organised deliberately for HST daigrams - plus a big send off day at Paddington and a tour not unlike this - sans paint job...

Yeah but western so not as good as proper ecml action ;)

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member

dfurn

I missed the chance to buy one of the nice 'Let's go round again' enamel badges due to lack of actual money on the platform at Leeds. Does anyone know anywhere online that may sell them please?

On Moderation
It looked fantastic. The depot guys did a great job bulling it up. I saw people cleaning it at various station stops.

All hand painted
Power cars painted by a company called Heritage Painting, and all credit to them for a magnificent job.

Credit also due to the team at Neville Hill depot who turned both power cars on the turntable last night so that the proper ER 254 power car was London end.

Deepgreen

Established Member
What a lot of people out today! I had intended to make a bit of a day of it and do a cycle ride including going to Welwyn viaduct for the main event, but a combination of train cancellations and much-worse-than-forecast weather meant a simple out-and-back to Hitchin in dank weather. The set seemed to glow even in the poor light! A superb job, but for those who've picked up on the uneven gaps above and below the windows, they're right - the originals had equal gaps. Doesn't matter - what an amazing job for, effectively, a few days' service.

Note the flush windows on the first coach and the very young fan to the left. There was much two-tone horn sounding approaching Hitchin!
DSC04575 (1).jpeg

crosscity

I think that's a bit unfair. The last four service departures within half an hour from platforms 1 to 4 at Paddington with the last one having the first and last production power cars was a tremendous show and a fitting tribute.

These LNER tours were a different kettle of fish. The superbly turned out set was fantastic. Hats off to both GWR and LNER for putting in the effort to produce two different celebrations of a wonderful piece of railway engineering.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Power cars painted by a company called Heritage Painting, and all credit to them for a magnificent job.

Credit also due to the team at Neville Hill depot who turned both power cars on the turntable last night so that the proper ER 254 power car was London end.

I know heritage painting. Very good work!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Any info on what will happen to this set? It would be a shame if it just went to scrap. Perhaps in the short term it will move to East Midlands and they'll keep it in these colours?

The paint scheme on the carriage doors doesn't meet disability legislation. Plus Power Cars/Coaches will invariably get chopped and changed around.

Status
Not open for further replies.