• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 43 LNER Farewell Railtour Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
I don't think EC56 is going to EMR. Personally I was disappointed that 42241/244 were removed from the set, as it was the most complete original ECML set, containing six of the eight coaches from 254031 as originally formed.
There’s a simple reason why they’ve used a set not going to EMR: by painting it into original livery it becomes less PRM compliant as it won’t have contrasting doors.

theblackwatch

Established Member
There’s a simple reason why they’ve used a set not going to EMR: by painting it into original livery it becomes less PRM compliant as it won’t have contrasting doors.

And there was me hoping that it would be blue/grey but with pink or orange doors. <D

Entertexthere

I wish I could afford to go on it, but being young and not having the luxury of a huge disposable income, I'll be lucky if I can even see it.
I think I'm on the same page as you. £95 pp is expensive for me regardless, take into account another 2 people at least, and Leeds-London is £125 is just too much. Also the fact that it's near Christmas.

Morpethcurve

I tried booking Tuesday night at about 23:45 to find all 1st class seats, all four segments, unavailable. I was relieved to find today thats no longer the case. Anyone disappointed might want to have another go.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Decided against it since its £114 to get to Leeds then £125 for tour ticket.

Look forward to seeing the pictures

I tried booking Tuesday night at about 23:45 to find all 1st class seats, all four segments, unavailable. I was relieved to find today thats no longer the case. Anyone disappointed might want to have another go.
Had an email saying that there was a group cancellation meaning a few extra first class seats available. Email was sent 2 hours ago so am not sure how long they will be available before selling out again.

EC56 isn’t one of the sets going to EMR.

It is the tour set (in 2+7 formation)

Luckily someone in LNER has had the good idea of including travel on an LNER service for the the opposite leg to the tour, hopefully that will make it affordable for people....

Iskra

Established Member
Personally, I couldn't get too excited for this tour. It's not the end of the HST, only one of the routes offered is anything out of the ordinary for an LNER HST, the prices are high and the paths/journey times look slow.

BRX

Established Member
This bit -

RETURN LNER TRAVEL
Special note: With the exception of the two-day Package Deal in Scotland, all the tour fares above are ONE WAY ONLY. Customers needing to complete their journey can apply to LNER Customer Care for free ticket(s) in the opposite direction, valid by LNER services only. This is what you will need to do, after you have booked the tour ticket with UK Railtours:

• Email to [email protected] with the following information:
• Confirmation email of their HST farewell tour ticket purchase
• Journey details to and from their departure/arrival stations for the charter service
• Any special travel requirements (Assistance requests etc)
• Any requirements in terms of how long they would like to leave for connections, we will request a minimum of 30 minutes where practical in case of any minor delays etc
• Their home address for LNER to get the tickets to them

They are only offering a free ticket for the opposite journey to what you do on the charter - right? Not to/from the start point of the charter journey?

87electric

Never been a one for “last in passenger service” tours but they are very popular. Amongst my peers in 1978 I was ridiculed and jeered for travelling on the first ECML HST services.
I’m sure Mr Farrow will be organising plenty more HST charters for years to come.

BRX

Established Member
Looks splendid. Well done to the people working on this.

43 302

Established Member
Was there yellow on the coaches?
I believe the yellow was just on the power cars and the coaches were blue and grey as shown above. But then again I wasn't alive when they were running is I may be wrong.

superjohn

Was there yellow on the coaches?
Not on the exterior. The internal vestibule area was originally a bright yellow plastic. That will always be my abiding memory of HST journeys as a child. Hopefully at least one preserved carriage has this restored at some point. It is still there under the later paint jobs.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Why couldn't they use the blue and grey coaching set that is already done or aren't the powercars compatible

Status
Not open for further replies.