• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 43 LNER Farewell Railtour Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

keelo

Isn’t it going south for store too? Anyone have any details of that yet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jbqfc

my photos from Kings cross
2i3NvzK

49258465257_a31ae24e41_b.jpg
43112[/url] by john brace, on Flickr[/IMG]
43006 by john brace, on Flickr
43112 by john brace, on Flickr
album-72157712315637047

album-72157712315637047

more to be seen here https://www.flickr.com/photos/queenfanjohn/albums/72157712315637047

devonexpress

Depending on what happens next year Crosscountry or EMR will be the last operators of full length HST's, they will really have to up their game come retirement time.

duffield

Established Member
Depending on what happens next year Crosscountry or EMR will be the last operators of full length HST's, they will really have to up their game come retirement time.

It's almost certain to be XC last for full-length HSTs, they've got no firm plans to replace their now PRM compliant HSTs, which have just been upgraded at considerable expense, so they've got (say) 5-10 years life.

EMR's ex-LNER HSTs (which should replace the current EMR HSTs in the next few months) only have a very short projected lifetime and are due to go as soon as the Corby electrification is up and running, in theory during 2020 but knowing how these things go, could well be 2021.

devonexpress

It's almost certain to be XC last for full-length HSTs, they've got no firm plans to replace their now PRM compliant HSTs, which have just been upgraded at considerable expense, so they've got (say) 5-10 years life.

EMR's ex-LNER HSTs (which should replace the current EMR HSTs in the next few months) only have a very short projected lifetime and are due to go as soon as the Corby electrification is up and running, in theory during 2020 but knowing how these things go, could well be 2021.

EMR's 804's aren't coming into service until 2022, LNER HST's will be in service up until then from what I've been told. And as for XC it depends the franchise is up for renewal next year, potentially a new operator could replace all the HST's with IET's, more voyagers etc.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
EMR's 804's aren't coming into service until 2022, LNER HST's will be in service up until then from what I've been told. And as for XC it depends the franchise is up for renewal next year, potentially a new operator could replace all the HST's with IET's, more voyagers etc.

There's a bit of controversy as to whether EMR will retain HST's beyond the end of next year. Modern Railways a couple of months ago suggested they might use EMU's from Corby to stretch the Meridians and 180's to cover all IC services North of Kettering.

On Moderation
There's a bit of controversy as to whether EMR will retain HST's beyond the end of next year. Modern Railways a couple of months ago suggested they might use EMU's from Corby to stretch the Meridians and 180's to cover all IC services North of Kettering.
No controversy about it. The plan is that the HSTs go when Corby is wired and the new timetable is introduced. The number of vehicles between the 180s and 222s is remarkably similar to the number of new vehicles that replaces them.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
No controversy about it. The plan is that the HSTs go when Corby is wired and the new timetable is introduced. The number of vehicles between the 180s and 222s is remarkably similar to the number of new vehicles that replaces them.

We remain to see if it works satisfactorily.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Thought you might like to see the video I made of the final day of the Let's Go Round Again railtour:

I thought the set looked fantastic, it's such a shame that it is now stored.

_toommm_

Established Member
For anyone who didn't get the chance to go on the original tour, there will be a pop-up shop in York on Saturday 1st February 10:00 while 16:00.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Thought you might like to see the video I made of the final day of the Let's Go Round Again railtour:

I thought the set looked fantastic, it's such a shame that it is now stored.

It did look excellent. I wonder what the business case for the painting was - it may have attracted some extra paying passengers in the special paint scheme but were there really many more than would have been the case in LNER livery? Of course, there's a degree of goodwill and publicity involved, but almost all only within the enthusiast sector. To store the set immediately with no planned further use seems a bizarre waste of a newly-created resource that could be hired out for tours. Surely there are operators with crew knowledge that could run a few HST tours and fill the seats several times over?

It's an interesting thing about the lower extent of the grey/white paint line on the trailers - comparison with the power cars shows the difference in position and reference to photos shows the space below and above the windows was equal in the originals. I wonder if the power cars and trailers were done separately such that no direct comparison was available? It doesn't detract from the superb quality of the result, of course - it's just odd given the huge reference resource available. One would assume the natural inclination would be go for equal spacing if guessing.

Last edited:

northernbelle

It's an interesting thing about the lower extent of the grey/white paint line on the trailers - comparison with the power cars shows the difference in position and reference to photos shows the space below and above the windows was equal in the originals. I wonder if the power cars and trailers were done separately such that no direct comparison was available? It doesn't detract from the superb quality of the result, of course - it's just odd given the huge reference resource available. One would assume the natural inclination would be go for equal spacing if guessing.
I thought it was odd too - especially as a song and dance was being made about the accuracy of the job. The power cars were painted by Heritage Painting at Edinburgh Craigentinny with the trailers outshopped by Wabtec at Doncaster.

I wondered if it was to keep the door handles out of the grey area? Presumably a silver door handle on a grey background isn't the best combination for dispatchers to confirm the door is shut - that's why GWR added a dark green band behind the handles on their silver doors.

Woolly

It did look excellent. I wonder what the business case for the painting was - it may have attracted some extra paying passengers in the special paint scheme but were there really many more than would have been the case in LNER livery? Of course, there's a degree of goodwill and publicity involved, but almost all only within the enthusiast sector.

I think in this day and age of 'profit and 'what can we get back for it' LNER should be fully applauded for giving the public almost 'something for nothing' that created a great feeling of goodwill for those few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.