• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 43 mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fradgie

Given that this October will mark 40 years of InterCity 125 operation has anyone got a credible average mileage for Class 43's ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
lots x masses = a shed load

They will have been round the clock a few times i should think. It has got to be well into the millions

Bodiddly

And a few million more when they hit Scotland. Typical diagrammes will see them covering 5,000 to 10,000 miles a week.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Given that this October will mark 40 years of InterCity 125 operation has anyone got a credible average mileage for Class 43's ?

In fact the Western Region began infiltrating HSTs into everyday service during July 1976. Caught me out on the first of that summer's spotting trips.

And a few million more when they hit Scotland. Typical diagrammes will see them covering 5,000 to 10,000 miles a week.

10,000 miles a week?! You are joking?! That is more than 4.5 round trips between Glasgow to Aberdeen everyday, 7 days a week. Totally impossible.

Three round trips a day is just about possible, so 924 miles plus any ECS moves, but no way any set would be diagrammed for that every day of the week, so an average of 700-750 is more reasonable. Assuming maintenance or on a stand-by spare diagram for one day a week, it still it adds up to around 4,500 miles a week, which is pretty impressive for a 40 year old train.

sprinterguy

Established Member
10,000 miles a week?! You are joking?! That is more than 4.5 round trips between Glasgow to Aberdeen everyday, 7 days a week. Totally impossible.

Three round trips a day is just about possible, so 924 miles plus any ECS moves, but no way any set would be diagrammed for that every day of the week, so an average of 700-750 is more reasonable. Assuming maintenance or on a stand-by spare diagram for one day a week, it still it adds up to around 4,500 miles a week, which is pretty impressive for a 40 year old train.
That's what I was thinking; a maximum daily mileage of 1,000 miles would seem more likely, not least to remain within fuel range, with some diagrams being shorter, and hence well short of 10,000 miles a week.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

So still nearly a quarter of a million miles per year - as you say- pretty impressive.

38Cto15E

Please excuse my lack of knowledge but when are the HSTs scheduled to take over Scottish duties and what routes will they be used on?

Mordac

Established Member
Please excuse my lack of knowledge but when are the HSTs scheduled to take over Scottish duties and what routes will they be used on?

Once FGW can release them + time for refurbishment. I think current ETA is 2019. They're meant to be used on services from Edinburgh and Glasgow to Aberdeen and Inverness.

On Moderation

We know from the ScotRail franchise agreement (http://www.transport.gov.scot/syste...Redacted Franchise Agreement - CU version.pdf) that ScotRail intend using 24 from 27 sets. At 750 miles per day that's an annual fleet mileage of 6.552m, and a power car fleet mileage of 13.104m. Over 54 power cars that's around 240k per year. However, that equates to 89% availability, which is very high for the HST power car fleet, where 80% is more normal. That would require an extra 6 power cars, giving annual mileage of around 218k.

ld0595

Once FGW can release them + time for refurbishment. I think current ETA is 2019. They're meant to be used on services from Edinburgh and Glasgow to Aberdeen and Inverness.

The last estimate I read was June - December 2018.

dave87016

Established Member
I am not sure exactly how many miles it is but there is a HST diagram that in one day does Penzance -Paddington , Paddington - Penzance , Penzance - Paddington and then to Old Oak Common Depot

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
I am not sure exactly how many miles it is but there is a HST diagram that in one day does Penzance -Paddington , Paddington - Penzance , Penzance - Paddington and then to Old Oak Common Depot

Including the ecs moves that's about 920 miles. Now have a look at the 125 Group website and check out the VTEC diagrams. The Monday morning Up Lincoln is empty from Neville Hill via Wakefield and Newark, then goes to Aberdeen and then Leeds before returning to Neville Hill. Similarly the 0710 Leeds to Aberdeen starts from Neville Hill, then to Kings Cross before returning to Leeds with a booked routing via Knottingley, Wakefield and Normanton. Both these are in the region of 1100 miles (don't have my mileage books handy to confrirm precisely).

In BR days similar diagrams existed and ISTR a figure of 1094 miles being the daily maximum. In the words of David Coleman: "Quite remarkable!"

On Moderation
Including the ecs moves that's about 920 miles. Now have a look at the 125 Group website and check out the VTEC diagrams. The Monday morning Up Lincoln is empty from Neville Hill via Wakefield and Newark, then goes to Aberdeen and then Leeds before returning to Neville Hill. Similarly the 0710 Leeds to Aberdeen starts from Neville Hill, then to Kings Cross before returning to Leeds with a booked routing via Knottingley, Wakefield and Normanton. Both these are in the region of 1100 miles (don't have my mileage books handy to confrirm precisely).

In BR days similar diagrams existed and ISTR a figure of 1094 miles being the daily maximum. In the words of David Coleman: "Quite remarkable!"
In the past, at times of service disruption, it was not unknown for the set off the up Highland Chieftain to arrive in Kings Cross and turn straight round to do the 1600 to Aberdeen. Power cars running on fumes when it arrived, though!

Crossover

Established Member

Probably not as many as you think - the line speed after Plymouth is relatively sedate. Paddington to St Erth on the Sleeper was 300 miles (direct route) and Penzance isn't much further, so the poster who suggested 920 miles is probably in the right ballpark

Status
Not open for further replies.