• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442 plug door windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

darasafvatnia

Hi guys, I was recently onboard a class 442 and noticed the plug door windows appear to be droplight windows that have been locked. Is that correct? And if so were passengers use to be able to open them for fresh air etc? Or do they just look like droplight windows with bi functionality. I feel it’s the former as they look locked?

I understand the guards can has a window and slam door.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mullinsj08

That's correct. Passengers were able to open them in the past but then a couple years ago someone stuck his head out the window and lost it on impact with a passing train in the opposite direction.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
That's correct. Passengers were able to open them in the past but then a couple years ago someone stuck his head out the window and lost it on impact with a passing train in the opposite direction.
Was actually a signal gantry that was closer to the train than it should have been

Monty

Established Member
The droplights are for emergency ventilation only. If required the guard will open them in the event of HVAC failure.

darasafvatnia

The droplights are for emergency ventilation only. If required the guard will open them in the event of HVAC failure.

Has it been emergency only since services began? Or was there a time where you could use the droplight windows without a guards consent?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Has it been emergency only since services began? Or was there a time where you could use the droplight windows without a guards consent?
I don’t think the power door windows ever opened as far as a normal Mk3, and were generally locked some years ago. The 2016 incident was only possible at the guards door, and then only the passageway side was accessible by passengers. It had been left without a lock for dispatch purposes, although in GatEx use they were DOO.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi guys, I was recently onboard a class 442 and noticed the plug door windows appear to be droplight windows that have been locked. Is that correct? And if so were passengers use to be able to open them for fresh air etc? Or do they just look like droplight windows with bi functionality. I feel it’s the former as they look locked?

I understand the guards can has a window and slam door.
The plug door windows only open a little bit by use of a key for ventilation when required if aircon has failed. I dont think their use has changed, as far as I know.
No; you are confusing the plug door windows with the windows that were used by Guards.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They look similar to the lavatory windows on a mk3 - which wouldn't surprise me as the 442's were from the mk3 family, so common components would have made sense.

darasafvatnia

Interesting, I thought they may have originally been useable considering they were modelled on the Mark 3 and also considering most trains in the late 80’s still had drop light windows. I believe the mark 4 came into service just after with no drop light window features.

But they must have always just been for emergencies only. Makes sense to have a feature like this for break downs during a heatwave. Which got me thinking, I wish new trains with plug doors still had drop light windows for long haul journeys! I know the slam doors had to go but windows are ideal for those hot summer days. I know it’s all health and safety now but surely people can just use their common sense in regards to sticking their heads out!

Neptune

Established Member
The 442’s are based on the Irish Rail mk3 with the same plug doors.

I don’t think that the windows could be fully opened to allow you to stick your head out as you could get serious injuries from the plug door opening.

For instance a 321 the cab door only releases without sliding fully open to stop you trapping your head. It has to be physically pushed open once it is unlocked/released. The mk3 passenger plug door just opens fully for obvious reasons.

Monty

Established Member
I have opened them in the past without the use of any key.

Some of the windows have had mechanisms fitted so you could open without a carriage key. They are gradually being removed before the units re-enter service with SWR.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Interesting, I thought they may have originally been useable considering they were modelled on the Mark 3 and also considering most trains in the late 80’s still had drop light windows. I believe the mark 4 came into service just after with no drop light window features.

But they must have always just been for emergencies only. Makes sense to have a feature like this for break downs during a heatwave. Which got me thinking, I wish new trains with plug doors still had drop light windows for long haul journeys! I know the slam doors had to go but windows are ideal for those hot summer days. I know it’s all health and safety now but surely people can just use their common sense in regards to sticking their heads out!
Modern trains such as Pendolinos and Class 80x are pressurised to eliminate the unpleasant effects on ears in tunnels. Any opening windows would depressurise the carriage.

pompeyfan

Established Member
There’s also been something fitted to the windows to limit the amount the window drops. Most will only open about 5 inches, but some have been missed and will drop to the full depth of half the window. This again is to prevent objects being placed on the outside

Status
Not open for further replies.