• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442 Website and Appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

class 313

Established Member
For those who havn't seen it yet - 442s off lease is 'prefered option' says SWT

South West Trains has confirmed returning all 24 of its five-car class 442 units to Angel Trains in January is a 'prefered option'. SWT says it will replace class 442s on Bournemouth/Weymouth services with five-car class 444s (:D) and use four-car 450s - some running as eight- and 12-car sets - on the Portsmouth line to give more capacity. The company is returning class 458s to traffic and these will work on the Waterloo-Reading line to release 450s for the Portsmouth line. A batch of 24 class 450s will also be reconfigured internally to have a metro styled seating arrangement for use on inner-suburban trains alongside its current Class 455s - currently undergoing refurbishment. These will lose a toilet and retain just one - wheelchair-freindly lavatory. However SWT says nothing has yet been signed, but expects the deal to be sorted imminently. Angel is currently having Class 442s overhauled to C6 standard, and will no doubt be looking for new opportunities for the popular Class 442s which are 20 years old, albeit with a much older traction package. Loss of the 442s from the SWT depot places a question over the future of their home depot, Bournemouth, as all its new 444s (:D) and 450s (:D) are maintained by their builder - Siemens - at Northam depot, Southampton.

Source: Railways Illustrated, January 2007 [Page 16]

why are you so happy about Desiros running the place!? they are terrible! And shouldnt of even been made

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thefab444

Established Member
They're good trains, I know you can't door Slammoflailwankage or whatever it is anymore, but that doesn't mean that Desiros are rubbish.

I could say that I hate Slammers and they are terrible and such a brilliant company like BR should never have built them, merely because the stock they replaced was "better".

We'll see, when the Desiros come up for replacement, I'm pretty sure that everybody'll start loving them and hating the replacement.

Guinness

Established Member
They'll have to be replaced sooner or later. After speaking to a SWT Driver a while ago, he said that the REP Traction motors were completely clapped out and poor to maintain. Other than that they need to a refurbishment to replace broken seats and the usual.

What's the point in keeping old stock that SWT don't want anymore when you have 444s that can easily do the same job?

Be thankful that they're getting passed onto another TOC.

Nathan

why are you so happy about Desiros running the place!? they are terrible! And shouldnt of even been made

What choice do you have? It's change that you want to deny, but its going to happen.

Here's to Desiros, everywhere!

Coxster

Established Member
Yes Satuuday was good fun, Bellowed at Farnborough, was MY LORDZZZZZ lol
I thought I heard a rather strange familiar voice ;) As for Desiros, yes they may not have the classic charecter but as a regular user of them I do not mind travelling on them at all (not that I have much of a choice of course :p).

Established Member
ROFL!!, the station staff didnt look to impressed,

Did My usual Woking to Parkstone by 442 for the last time tonight, very upsetting to thinking ill never do that again by 442!!!

Nathan

Should i be celebrating and preparing a day out by 444 for next week at least thefab444 would agree, or should i be the soft centred guy i am and try and cheer you all up when they'll be gone? :lol:

thefab444

Established Member
Should i be celebrating and preparing a day out by 444 for next week at least thefab444 would agree, or should i be the soft centred guy i am and try and cheer you all up when they'll be gone? :lol:

No, we want a railtour with 444018, 450015 and 450124. LOL.

Anyway, on BBC South Today they had repatrioted one of the nameplates off 2419 "BBC South Today", maybe the other one had gone on eBay to help pay Sally's wages? Anyway, that suggests that they're not going to be naming 444s with 442 names... shame. :( Well at least not South Today.

Julian G

Established Member
Plastic EMU Basher :idea: for people who bashes plastics (From 2000) to the limit

Hentis

Fantastic. If only you had the long winding Wail but without the SWT announcer getting in the way.

It looks as though there could be a run of 2 "specials" for the pigs one on January 20th the other for January 27th. Thats all I know at the moment.

Cheers

Hentis

thefab444

Established Member
Excellent! I will be out on Sat going to Weymouth for a change, do we know which units will be running on Saturday.

thefab444

Established Member
Turns out it was 2405 & 2411 starting the day, these failed so I'm told, and when I joined the ex-11:35 off Waterloo we had 2407 & 2417 on. Also 2410 appeared to be running a Wareham shuttle? And 2412 on Poole duties. Overhearing other enthusiasts on the train, it appears 2424 was out as well... not too bad!

WessexWarrior

Turns out it was 2405 & 2411 starting the day, these failed so I'm told, and when I joined the ex-11:35 off Waterloo we had 2407 & 2417 on. Also 2410 appeared to be running a Wareham shuttle? And 2412 on Poole duties. Overhearing other enthusiasts on the train, it appears 2424 was out as well... not too bad!

I think I've seen most of those today, and a couple more as well. I'll miss them passing by my kitchen window...

Hentis

2410 was indeed sharing the Wareham shuttles with a Desiro.

450050 and 450100 were the other two Wareham to brock attendees for Saturday. Usually its 2 450s and a 444. hmmm can think where all the 444's were.

Cheers

Hentis

thefab444

Established Member
I saw quite a few out, most of the trains on the Pompey were 450 mind. Saw some 444s in Poole Sidings, a ten car coming out of Bomo Depot and various other units during my travels.

Saw 450050 twice today, as well as 450110...

Bastiaan

W00t! I wrote the 100th signature in the petition :D Milestone!

It's just the same as we've had in Holland since 1995. TOCs think new seats are better than the old ones, but in most cases the are certainly not! Technically new trains are better than old stock, but beside that most new trains are less comfortable.

class 313

Established Member
It's just the same as we've had in Holland since 1995. TOCs think new seats are better than the old ones, but in most cases the are certainly not! Technically new trains are better than old stock, but beside that most new trains are less comfortable.

Very true

E.g. 321 vs 350.

321 has better seats though 350s look nicer

Guinness

Established Member
The thing is with seats is a lot has changed since the 1970s/80s when older stock such as HSTs, 321s and the lot were built.

Safety is a primary concern and such questions are asked such as the sturdiness in the event of a crash. Afterall, flying passengers would be an a bit of a pain...

Vandalism has had a major increase over the years so TOCs don't want to precious maintaining seats without half the stuffing falling out.

Money and how many seats can be cramped into a coach, just look at 84S FGW Refurbed TSOs.

devon_metro

Established Member
The thing is with seats is a lot has changed since the 1970s/80s when older stock such as HSTs, 321s and the lot were built.

Safety is a primary concern and such questions are asked such as the sturdiness in the event of a crash. Afterall, flying passengers would be an a bit of a pain...

Vandalism has had a major increase over the years so TOCs don't want to precious maintaining seats without half the stuffing falling out.

Money and how many seats can be cramped into a coach, just look at 84S FGW Refurbed TSOs.

I have found Virgin voyager seats in a far worse condition than the ones found in the fGW mk3s...

Hentis

The Pompie line can keep their 444's The Bournemouth line wnat thier 442's back.

Cheers

Hentis

Status
Not open for further replies.