• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Back in May 1988, does anyone remember that two units, 2401 & 2403 set the world speed record for 3rd rail traction, achieving 107 mph, and covering the journey from Waterloo to Weymouth in 1hr 59 mins...
Well it’s probably been mentioned about 25 times so far in this thread, so yeah, we do...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DorkingMain

Not sure if this has been pointed out already but I imagine that at the time the decisions was made to refurbish the class 442 fleet, the refurbishment of the class 458 fleet was not an option as the introduction of the new class 701 replacement fleet was too far on the horizon. I understand that the delivery of 701s has been delayed.

Prior to the pandemic, the extra capacity was needed immediately and the class 442s in theory would have been a way to provide that capacity. Due to the prolonged duration of the pandemic, refurbished 458s are now an option although to my mind, they do not seem much younger than the 442 fleet. Maybe the ability to run as 4, 8 or 12 car units is the over-riding factor.
They're pretty much the same age as the 450s they'll run alongside, minus a few years.

Of course, there is something to be said for the build quality of them vs the 450s.

Romsey

Two things have come to mind after hearing this, will the world speed record (for a 3rd rail train) setting unit be preserved in some form?
Secondly there could be an opportunity for a conversion to a Pullman/Brighton belle/belmond style operation?

Just adding to the post by Journeyman on page 201

If converted for loco haulage they will need complete rewiring to take loco eth supplies..
The only off the shelf spares available will be standard size fixed windows and some brake components. ( Under the floor they are more closely related top a 4VEP than anything in traffic at present.)
Drivers traction knowledge if staying as dc units.

Sure they were superb units when in day to day traffic until 2007. They have never recovered from the period of storage. Sorry but their time to meet a scrap dealer has unfortunately come.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Sure they were superb units when in day to day traffic until 2007. They have never recovered from the period of storage. Sorry but their time to meet a scrap dealer has unfortunately come.

Performance on the Bournemouth Line did improve though in 2007 once the 442s had been replaced.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I would assume the seat cushions and design on 444s and 350/1s are no longer available due to crash regs? There is a subtle difference that makes 444s infinitely more comfortable than a 450, even in the airline seats. I was hoping this could be replicated on the 458s?

the 442s are done with and deserve to be binned off but as an able bodied person I much preferred the modifications done to the GWR castle sets as apposed to the 442s.

in my opinion they are much more pleasant environment but like I say I haven’t witnessed a wheelchair user on a castle set, I have however tried to board a wheelchair user on a 442 and it took forever, the wheelchair user was getting flustered and apologetic for delaying the train, even though it wasn’t their fault.

Moderator note: Thread locked as it was going round in circles. Some posts have been moved to threads in the the Speculative Ideas section, while the point above regarding seat availability has been moved here

Last edited by a moderator:

5Q81 0425 Bournemouth Depot to Wolverton was cancelled, problems with the train, locos 665759/73212/73213 returned to Eastleigh East Yard instead as 0O81.

adc82140

Established Member
From the "Class 458" thread:

The 458s are indeed Porterbrook owned. Ownership of the 442s passed to SWR at the end of March.
This answers my question as to why they are still on SWR premises, rather than languishing at Ely.

D365

Veteran Member
From the "Class 458" thread:

This answers my question as to why they are still on SWR premises, rather than languishing at Ely.
Wonder how/why they transferred to SWR. Presumably something to do with the failure/cancellation of the project?

On Moderation
Wonder how/why they transferred to SWR. Presumably something to do with the failure/cancellation of the project?
Presumably part of the agreement with DfT and Angel. It means Angel don’t have the hassle of disposal and SWR can get any components they want. DfT will have more control than they would if they remained with Angel, so can put a destruction order on them.

spark001uk

Established Member
So, although I haven't seen it officially confirmed yet, if the seats do go into the 458s, would they bring the tables across for the bay seats I wonder? If it were me I'd say may as well, they're only for the scrap heap otherwise.!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If they've just re-fitted the interiors, one would hope that these could be salvaged (unless ironing boards, in which case get rid !).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If they've just re-fitted the interiors, one would hope that these could be salvaged (unless ironing boards, in which case get rid !).
Some recent posts in the 458 thread suggest the 442 seats almost certainly are being recycled.

spark001uk

Established Member
I had the pleasure of riding them extensively a couple of summers ago, before they were pulled. The refurbed seats were actually quite nice - not quite as soft as the NSE/GatEx days, but not ironing boards either. I'd say desiro, roughly.

palmersears

Established Member
5Q81 0425 Bournemouth Depot to Wolverton was cancelled, problems with the train, locos 665759/73212/73213 returned to Eastleigh East Yard instead as 0O81.
2419 was found to be no longer registered to run on the network, and the other couldn't be authorised either as the fitter was 'unable to attend' to conduct the FTR. Hopefully all sorted over the next day or so.

Dan15812

AFAIK some of the equipment from the 442's ie USB sockets etc will be going into the 159/9's whenever that will be.

Wolfie

Established Member
AFAIK some of the equipment from the 442's ie USB sockets etc will be going into the 159/9's whenever that will be.
Sensible (as long as the removal cost is low) but in truth for at least some of the equipment there was probably significantly more sunk (and thus lost) cost involved in fitting it than the inherent value of the kit itself.

Western Sunset

Established Member
I realise it's a typo, but the class 66 was 66759.

Looks like a move is booked for tomorrow (25th) late evening:

0Y96 2004 EH East Yd - BM
5Y97 2252 BM - EH East Yd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.