• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
that's a big shame but understandable...why does Poole always get the good stock. If there was enough power beyond Poole then the 442s could run as 10 cars to Weymouth. It might have already been said but why are they not running as 5 cars anywhere. despite this could a single 442 run to Weymouth in an emergency?
The track access application for the use of 442s by SWR states that they will only run as 10 car formations to remove the performance risk caused by splitting and joining. (As I mentioned in post #3459 yesterday.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sleeper fan

On Moderation
The track access application for the use of 442s by SWR states that they will only run as 10 car formations to remove the performance risk caused by splitting and joining. (As I mentioned in post #3459 yesterday.)
Thanks didn't see your post sorry but makes sense those connections were troublesome in SWT days especially at Bournemouth I recall!

pompeyfan

Established Member
To be clear, 442s are very very very unlikely to run beyond Poole ever again. Never say never but I can’t see it happening.

In regards to the door issues, a solution has now been found and the modification is being rolled out the the units that are ready for service. Guards and drivers that sign them now need a bit re-briefing but it’s just a case of signing for a bit of bit of paper.

It really shouldn’t be long until they’re introduced on 9Bxx and 9Pxx services.

sleeper fan

On Moderation
Fair play. From what's been said I'm sceptical if they every will. as you said never say never but highly unlikely. So should we keep an eye out for 9Bxx and 9Pxx workings then?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Fair play. From what's been said I'm sceptical if they every will. as you said never say never but highly unlikely. So should we keep an eye out for 9Bxx and 9Pxx workings then?
If you go back to post #3194, you can see the initially planned diagrams for the first 3 pairs. Those listed services (or a reduced subset of them) still seem to be the most likely initial services. From what’s been discussed just recently they may well be changed to class 9 if the 442s show up.

On the Bournemouth line there are only expected to be the two passenger services, one up from Southampton Airport at 0628, and one down to Poole at 1848. Both are new services since May and IIRC are yet to run at all.

sleeper fan

On Moderation
If you go back to post #3194, you can see the initially planned diagrams for the first 3 pairs. Those listed services (or a reduced subset of them) still seem to be the most likely initial services. From what’s been discussed just recently they may well be changed to class 9 if the 442s show up.

On the Bournemouth line there are only expected to be the two passenger services, one up from Southampton Airport at 0628, and one down to Poole at 1848. Both are new services since May and IIRC are yet to run at all.
thank you will take a look...hopefully they run soon!

pompeyfan

Established Member

I believe the 2105 down will also be a 442, or that was the plan originally anyway.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Yes there were two up and two down mentioned in another post, I didn’t want to repeat the whole thread... :D

Ah sorry, I misinterpreted your post as saying there was only 2 442 services, 1 up and 1 down, not 2 services in each direction :D

molecrochip

Looking at posts #3241 and #3194, it doesn't appear that the 0628 SOA - WAT is actually intended to be a 442. Presumably its only being considered this week because its one of the two services not running and this would have been an "easy" win?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Looking at posts #3241 and #3194, it doesn't appear that the 0628 SOA - WAT is actually intended to be a 442. Presumably its only being considered this week because its one of the two services not running and this would have been an "easy" win?
It’s the 0651 off Parkway that was meant to be a 10.442 according to the May carriage working notices. Perhaps because that’s running already they decided to swap the 10.442 onto the “missing service” so that only one thing changes at a time?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Ah sorry, I misinterpreted your post as saying there was only 2 442 services, 1 up and 1 down, not 2 services in each direction :D
I was just repeating the probable first 2 extra services really, that were mentioned last week. There’ll presumably be some sort of gradual increase however they play it...

Dren Ahmeti

My wibble radar is on full blast, and I can hear “possibly Monday for the 442’s” being broadcasted over the air :lol:

If SWR management shout at the signallers enough to keep to booked routings, and (possibly) pay the fee for Class 9 headcodes for the 442’s, there shouldn’t be anything else limiting introduction on Monday, as far as I know.

mchd2000

My wibble radar is on full blast, and I can hear “possibly Monday for the 442’s” being broadcasted over the air :lol:

If SWR management shout at the signallers enough to keep to booked routings, and (possibly) pay the fee for Class 9 headcodes for the 442’s, there shouldn’t be anything else limiting introduction on Monday, as far as I know.
How many 442s do you think could theoretically be introduced on Monday?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

There is no ‘fee’ for using class 9 headcodes

Bigfoot

They are running some from Monday, two drivers, one to drive the other to ensure the routing is correct. Up and down fasts only between Waterloo and Basingstoke, 11 12 & 13 at Waterloo when in service (usual caveats of can be authorised to go elsewhere if agreed by control etc).

Train Boy

On Moderation
They are running some from Monday, two drivers, one to drive the other to ensure the routing is correct. Up and down fasts only between Waterloo and Basingstoke, 11 12 & 13 at Waterloo when in service (usual caveats of can be authorised to go elsewhere if agreed by control etc).
Jeepers. What on earth have NR being doing to make the 442s suddenly out of gauge for the South Western? Just utterly farcical.

RichSwitch

12 x 5 car sets means 6 x 10 car pairs. What is the peak requirement for the direct in terms of pairs of sets?

What precisely is/was the issue with the doors?

Can we be more specific on whereabouts in the ‘London area’ the routing issue is?

Assuming the trains will only operate in pairs, will these be hard pairs (ie permanently coupled sets), or soft pairs? If it is the former, what happens if one of the sets fails? What I’m getting at is, I’m assuming we won’t be seeing increasing numbers of “Due to more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time...”.

hwl

Established Member
Jeepers. What on earth have NR being doing to make the 442s suddenly out of gauge for the South Western? Just utterly farcical.
Probably suspension mods when at Southern???

pompeyfan

Established Member
I believe that they run vice ECS moves from the previous timetable. The 0758 off Waterloo used to be an ECS to Northam that left at 0800. It ran as 12 450 on Wednesday.

442s will work 1B88/9B88 0628 SOA-WAT and 1B95/9B95 1848 WAT-POO.

The 1Z are cricket specials to the ‘Hampshire’ bowl where there’s onward shuttle bus, so that Hedge end doesn’t get overwhelmed.

TEW

Established Member
The suggestion was that it was a modification done by Southern that has caused the clearance issues for 442s on the SWR route.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Unmodify them, then!
Doesn’t matter they’ve been reclassified in the rolling stock library so have to be treated as new stock regardless of whether you changed them back.

No difference to the Castle Class HSTs on Great Western needing to be re-cleared following the mods.

Like it or not the industry works in a very different way to 20 years ago and whilst that might not be the right way to do things in some people’s eyes, following these requirements is currently the only way to get things approved.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
12 x 5 car sets means 6 x 10 car pairs. What is the peak requirement for the direct in terms of pairs of sets?

What precisely is/was the issue with the doors?

Can we be more specific on whereabouts in the ‘London area’ the routing issue is?

Assuming the trains will only operate in pairs, will these be hard pairs (ie permanently coupled sets), or soft pairs? If it is the former, what happens if one of the sets fails? What I’m getting at is, I’m assuming we won’t be seeing increasing numbers of “Due to more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time...”.

The currently timetable required 6x10 car sets. That rises to 7x10 car sets in Dec 19.

Door issues resolved it was to do with the obstruction detecting mechanism.

The particular issue in the London area is inwards from Nine Elms, other restrictions remain elsewhere as always was the case with 442s and in some instances same as with 159s.

They will be pairs in the same way 455s operate so if necessary can be swapped around.

Status
Not open for further replies.