• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My children were quite alarmed when they encountered traditional UIC gangways at speed between Longueau and Paris the other week!

Interestingly the Class 230s are fitted with those (only UK stock so fitted), though they at least don't reach 200km/h! :)

Mk5s (at least the CS variety) probably have some leaks as those use "push together" gangways though of a more modern type.

_toommm_

Established Member
Thanks. How do you know it is a 442 looking at RTT. Do you happen to know what the units do/where they go during the day?

At the moment, the 442s are running as a '9' headcode, in place of the normal '1' headcode (due to routeing restrictions), and the paths are put in as VSTPs (Very Short Term Plans).

For example: 9B88 in the morning, and 9B95 in the evening.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks. How do you know it is a 442 looking at RTT. Do you happen to know what the units do/where they go during the day?
They go to Clapham Yard and remain there between the peaks. The two services are minor parts of two separate eventual diagrams.

moley

Well, day two and already being offered incorrect platform at Waterloo. Didn’t take long.

pigs bay

I just want to say "well done SWR, and Bournemouth depot for bringing back to service the most stylish and comfortable EMU ever after Gat Ex/Southern basically tried to kill them.

winks

I’m glad they’re back. Hoping to have a ride Sunday all being well. I travelled on them on the BML a couple of years ago and they were very snug and the lighting was dimmed. I hope SWR haven’t made it too bright and clinical !

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’m glad they’re back. Hoping to have a ride Sunday all being well. I travelled on them on the BML a couple of years ago and they were very snug and the lighting was dimmed. I hope SWR haven’t made it too bright and clinical !
I’d be very surprised if there are any in use at all at weekends initially.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Are the 442s expected to work waterloo-Portsmouth via guildford anytime soon? Or is it just poole services mainly?

cactustwirly

Established Member
Are the 442s expected to work waterloo-Portsmouth via guildford anytime soon? Or is it just poole services mainly?

Once more staff are trained, and the teething issues are sorted, they should be rolled out onto Pompey direct services

VEP3417

nice to see them back after all this time, looking very smart i must say, they still make that humming noise when stopped at the station but it sounded different to me, not as low pitch as it used to be :lol:
DSCF8854.JPG DSCF8855.JPG DSCF8856.JPG DSCF8861.JPG DSCF8862.JPG DSCF8864.JPG DSCF8865.JPG DSCF8866.JPG DSCF8867.JPG DSCF8869.JPG

Rick1984

It is a bit rubbish with only the yellow breaking up the monotony on the intermediate coaches

VEP3417

the carriages do look a bit different in all plain white, might look better with a grey/black/or blue to match the front roof

Lockwood

It does look strange in that livery, with the giant logo in the middle carriage.

I know people spoke ill of the one 444040 is in, disliking the stripes for some reason, but I like it - certainly compared to the revised SWR livery. The stripes were things happening - this looks unfinished and makes me think of that all white slam door unit that we had down here for a while

Goldfish62

Established Member
It does look strange in that livery, with the giant logo in the middle carriage.

I know people spoke ill of the one 444040 is in, disliking the stripes for some reason, but I like it - certainly compared to the revised SWR livery. The stripes were things happening - this looks unfinished and makes me think of that all white slam door unit that we had down here for a while
The thing is with the striped livery you can easily see the vertical joins in the vinyl panels, and that's before they've had time to become worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.