• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I’ve heard the 11th of November floated about, but I’m sure there’s one or two on here that can confirm or deny.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theironroad

Established Member
even tho they stopped testing im sure the 5Q...or what ever it was still shows up on rtt most days of the week unless another train took over that - does state runs as required next to them though

The 5Qxx pathways will stay in the system, they just won't be activated unless a move is authorised to operate.

VEP3417

did wonder that, just makes things a bit difficult when planning what to see, then when you click on anything interesting it says "runs as required" :lol:

theironroad

Established Member
did wonder that, just makes things a bit difficult when planning what to see, then when you click on anything interesting it says "runs as required" :lol:

As a general guide, Q paths may not be confirmed as running until an hour or so before departure. In rare cases the path may not be activated until after the train has set off.

VEP3417

ive checked half an hour before in the past and it said to be running only for me to get there, it not turn up, then when i got home it says cancelled, but only at the time it was supposed to come through thats why i dont really like rtt, you just dont know unless you have it on your mobile which i dont :lol::rolleyes:

samuelmorris

Established Member
ive checked half an hour before in the past and it said to be running only for me to get there, it not turn up, then when i got home it says cancelled, but only at the time it was supposed to come through thats why i dont really like rtt, you just dont know unless you have it on your mobile which i dont :lol::rolleyes:
RTT works on mobile every bit as well as on desktop I find, however, it is not an industry tool, it's just a useful app for the public. It can only display what information has been made publicly available. When it comes to unusual 'one-off' workings, they will always be pot luck unless you have access to internal systems used by signallers (which I highly doubt will be accessible remotely).

theironroad

Established Member
RTT works on mobile every bit as well as on desktop I find, however, it is not an industry tool, it's just a useful app for the public. It can only display what information has been made publicly available. When it comes to unusual 'one-off' workings, they will always be pot luck unless you have access to internal systems used by signallers (which I highly doubt will be accessible remotely).

While it's not an official industry tool, you'd be surprised at how many guards and drivers rely on RTT, opentrain times and traksy either in list or map forms.

Bigfoot

While it's not an official industry tool, you'd be surprised at how many guards and drivers rely on RTT, opentrain times and traksy either in list or map forms.
This is mostly because companies won't invest in giving access to the internal feeds to their front line staff.

theironroad

Established Member
This is mostly because companies won't invest in giving access to the internal feeds to their front line staff.

Agree. Some messrooms are lucky to get a mirror feed of the public platform numbers screen and due time. Better than nothing, but pretty useless when trying to locate a train whether in service or ECS.

fgwrich

Established Member

And not just TOC, or FOC staff either. I know of at least one large rail based nationwide organisation using RTT & Opentrain times as well. Very hand if they have to meet a service in at a particular station etc.

Anyway, I’m digressing from the 442 discussion. Do we know how the repowered unit is getting on with the testing yet, and how many units are in Eastleigh receiving the traction mods.

theironroad

Established Member
And not just TOC, or FOC staff either. I know of at least one large rail based nationwide organisation using RTT & Opentrain times as well. Very hand if they have to meet a service in at a particular station etc.

Anyway, I’m digressing from the 442 discussion. Do we know how the repowered unit is getting on with the testing yet, and how many units are in Eastleigh receiving the traction mods.

It's all gone a bit quiet. There's plenty stabled in Bournemouth depot though awaiting their fate.

Thumper1127

Does anyone know how many units have been retractioned yet and/or how long it takes to do? Also, any idea how much mainline testing will be required?

RichSwitch

How likely is it that SWR are going to meet their December timetable requirement in terms of stock? Assuming they started testing 442 tomorrow and then crew training, it’s looking slightly less likely than Brexit I would have thought.

theironroad

Established Member
How likely is it that SWR are going to meet their December timetable requirement in terms of stock? Assuming they started testing 442 tomorrow and then crew training, it’s looking slightly less likely than Brexit I would have thought.

I'd say the December timetable is very tight now. A lot of crews barely worked them before they withdrawn.

Thumper1127

Timings are in RTT as follows:

1955 Bournemouth depot to SOU Arr 2056
2103 SOU to BCU 2120
2124 BCU to SOU 2148
2155 SOU to BCU 2221
2227 BCU to SOU 2241
2306 SOU to Bournemouth depot Arr 0006

All shown as 5QXX workings.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Tests are out and about, I’ve just seen a picture of a 10 car at Southampton. Hopefully the motors don’t sound too whiny, but more importantly hopefully they don’t interfere with the signalling!

Train Boy

Tests are out and about, I’ve just seen a picture of a 10 car at Southampton. Hopefully the motors don’t sound too whiny, but more importantly hopefully they don’t interfere with the signalling!

2413 and 2417 (units on test) have the old EE546 motors as far as I know. 2402 and 2419 are the first two to be converted to AC.

BRX

Established Member
So have they been doing stuff to try and fix the interference with the signalling in the meantime?

Train Boy

So have they been doing stuff to try and fix the interference with the signalling in the meantime?

Correct, the only completed unit; 2419 with AC motors, is yet to touch the electricity. Not even allowed in the depot yet.

BRX

Established Member
Correct, the only completed unit; 2419 with AC motors, is yet to touch the electricity. Not even allowed in the depot yet.

Trying to fix stuff on the trains, or on the signalling infrastructure?

I had sort of thought they had given up trying to fix it for the older traction motors, and were just going to get on with the retractioning and then introduce the retractioned ones... but I must have got the wrong end of the stick.

Train Boy

I had sort of thought they had given up trying to fix it for the older traction motors, and were just going to get on with the retractioning and then introduce the retractioned ones... but I must have got the wrong end of the stick.

Trying to fix the static convertors, which is the component which causes the signals to change aspects.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Tweaks have been done to the signals, the last was done in the Wimbledon possession last weekend) and there’s also an extra filter (I think) fitted on the static converters.

If this doesn’t work it’ll be wait until retractioning as they don’t want to do too much to the existing static converters as they are being replaced and there’s only so much you can do to the signals.

Fingers crossed!!

theironroad

Established Member
Tweaks have been done to the signals, the last was done in the Wimbledon possession last weekend) and there’s also an extra filter (I think) fitted on the static converters.

If this doesn’t work it’ll be wait until retractioning as they don’t want to do too much to the existing static converters as they are being replaced and there’s only so much you can do to the signals.

Fingers crossed!!

Do you know when they are doing a 442 test around the earlsfield problem spot?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Someone has recently posted in wnxx that signals are still being tripped. Doesn’t sound good if true...

Status
Not open for further replies.