• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I rather suspect passengers on the Portsmouth direct wouldn’t be happy with anything you gave them. They whinged about 2+3 seats on the 450s, so they get 2+2 442s and aren’t happy. They need to get over themselves.

correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t you disappointed about 701s replacing stock on the Windsor side?

It’s not that the PDL passengers are overly fussy, it’s that once you get used to a certain (decent) type of stock in the form of 444s, the 442s are an obvious downgrade!

no different to passengers on the Portsmouth - Cardiff complaining about the lack of capacity with 3 car 158s, and then being disappointed with 5 car turbos. It’s human nature to want your cake and eat it surely?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I rather suspect passengers on the Portsmouth direct wouldn’t be happy with anything you gave them. They whinged about 2+3 seats on the 450s, so they get 2+2 442s and aren’t happy. They need to get over themselves.

I think they would be more than happy with Class 350/1s, which would be ideal for the service just as they are (when LNR can get the allocation right) on LNR's longer distance commuter services. Indeed, to me the Class 350/2s converted to third rail and 2+2 seating will, once released, be the perfect replacement.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I think they would be more than happy with Class 350/1s, which would be ideal for the service just as they are (when LNR can get the allocation right) on LNR's longer distance commuter services. Indeed, to me the Class 350/2s converted to third rail and 2+2 seating will, once released, be the perfect replacement.

I think everyone with half an ounce of common sense knows that would be the sensible way to proceed.

Nammer

Yes that was a group of vocal commuters who got their knickers in a twist over that. Commuters can be a fickle bunch! I don’t personally have a problem with the 450s on the Portsmouth fasts in the peaks and the friends of mine I was talking about mainly travel in the off peaks and like the ease of getting on and off the 450s and 444s with their correctly positioned grab rails and less of a gape between the step off and platform.

RichSwitch

Just to make this clear, the people who moaned about the 2+3 seats who were whipped up into the ‘No to 450’ campaign, were those from Haslemere, Godalming, Guildford. That is the Surrey commuters. Not those from Portsmouth. As I remember this was done by someone called David Habershon and encouraged by the MPs along the route.

It’s all come back and bitten them on the rear-end now though. At least our 450s were more reliable than our 442s which run an average 10 to 15 late at their destination. When they don’t do their pyrotechnics New seats and new carpets in the 442s might appease some people, but their other inherent problems prove you can’t polish a turd.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t you disappointed about 701s replacing stock on the Windsor side?

It’s not that the PDL passengers are overly fussy, it’s that once you get used to a certain (decent) type of stock in the form of 444s, the 442s are an obvious downgrade!

no different to passengers on the Portsmouth - Cardiff complaining about the lack of capacity with 3 car 158s, and then being disappointed with 5 car turbos. It’s human nature to want your cake and eat it surely?
That’s so different!! 701s are replacing trains with comfortable (IMO and many others O) seats, declassified first class and pull down tables - the Aventras do not have these. 442s are far more suitable for Intercity services than a 450. I’ve travelled on all one hundred and twenty seven of the awful things so trust me I know - for a long journey they’re awful. The 442s are in every way an upgrade and the no450 bunch have definitely got what they wanted yet want more.

Last edited by a moderator:

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Already been covered. 800s are not an option as anything more than 5 car are too long and so would have less seating than current 158/159 combos. Plus aventras are not an option as no DMU or bi mode type exists as of yet.

442s and others are the best and only option for now. Lets move on and get back to the topic at hand.

the issues with the 442s are not the sort that can be fixed anyway. Its not like you can take an existing train and make the doorway bigger is it:lol:

They’re Mk3s. Conversion to sliding doors (either Chiltern sliding plug style or the GWR/ScotRail/XC style) instead of swing plug would fix that problem and is proven.

pompeyfan

Established Member
They’re Mk3s. Conversion to sliding doors (either Chiltern sliding plug style or the GWR/ScotRail/XC style) instead of swing plug would fix that problem and is proven.

yes but at what cost? Triggers broom springs to mind. Bin them off and use the 350/2s when they become available.

bastien

yes but at what cost? Triggers broom springs to mind. Bin them off and use the 350/2s when they become available.
As delivered they had two (two!) sets of big doors on the motor vehicle, but they were plated over in exchange for more seating space. Funny how things go around isn't it?

RealTrains07

Established Member
Battery trains. Although nobody has leased them yet, there are 37 of these trains so they could replace the 442s, 158s (used with batteries) and some 159s (used with batteries).
Are you sure there are enough?

There is no way SWR will take the risk of wasting all the money they have spent on the 442s (if they still have the franchise that is?)

Plus the 442s still have further upgrades yet to go. It's pointless; passengers will complain no matter what. SWR did what they were asked to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Battery trains. Although nobody has leased them yet, there are 37 of these trains so they could replace the 442s, 158s (used with batteries) and some 159s (used with batteries).
So a completely hypothetical situation then, and so unlikely that it can be ignored for now?

Energy

Established Member
So a completely hypothetical situation then, and so unlikely that it can be ignored for now?
Unlikely? Porterbrook say about battery flex on their website and it looks pretty likely to happen and I think most people would agree that 350/2s would be the logical replacement. The 158/159 idea is just an idea from myself but I wouldn't say it is too far fetched.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Unlikely? Porterbrook say about battery flex on their website and it looks pretty likely to happen and I think most people would agree that 350/2s would be the logical replacement. The 158/159 idea is just an idea from myself but I wouldn't say it is too far fetched.
I was meaning replacing SWR stock being highly unlikely, given the rigid franchise spec, not that the technology is unlikely. But I expect that Porterbrook wouldn’t modify any of the fleet without a known user lined up.

Energy

Established Member
I was meaning replacing SWR stock being highly unlikely, given the rigid franchise spec, not that the technology is unlikely. But I expect that Porterbrook wouldn’t modify any of the fleet without a known user lined up.
Certainly, although aren't First wanting to make amendments to the franchise agreement or was that just a rumour?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Certainly, although aren't First wanting to make amendments to the franchise agreement or was that just a rumour?
I don’t think they’re discussing that sort of amendment, the logical aim of any renegotiation is to reduce their costs...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Can we keep on topic with 442s and related discussions please?

Any speculation and any replacement stock for the likes of 15x's and other lines please discuss in a separate thread. Thank you.

View attachment 73012

-Taken from the Delay Attribution guide.
MS ALLOC STCK Planned underpowered or shortformed service and or vehicle, incl. exam set swaps

There is still a light maintenance facility at Bournemouth, but most of the "good old boys" who looked after the Wessex Electrics have taken the money and retired.

light maintenance?

Repaints
Overhauls C4/C6
Engine changes
Wheel set replacements

antharro

Travelled on my first 442 since they were on the Gatwick Express. The standard class seats were a bit too upright and hard for my liking; too similar to 455 / 450; 444 seats are more comfortable. Ride quality was as good as I remember and I appreciate the lower colour temperature of the lighting and the proper hand dryers in the toilets. Shame about the seat downgrade, but I know that's down to Southern, not SWR. These did used to have (imo) the most comfortable standard class seats and I preferred them to the 444s; shame it's the other way around now. I was also sitting where the snug used to be - would rather have the snug and buffet back!

Looking forward to trying first class; tho the compartments are unfortunately long gone, hopefully the seats are at least a bit reasonable.

I am surprised SWR are only taking 18 of them on. I would have thought they'd have taken the lot, which would have allowed them to free up more 450s to increase the number of carriages on other 450 services and put 444s on other routes, but I'll take what I can get. And while I do rather like the sound of the motors, I understand the kit is life expired and replacing it allows them to work for longer with upgraded accelerating and braking capabilities.

Presumably changing the traction kit involves changing the bogies - would the replacements have the same ride quality as the old or would they have a different ride quality?

I do wonder though how long they will be allowed to have their DDA exemption; possibly until enough new stock has come online that they can be retired?

Monty

Established Member
They will keep their bogies, as did the 455s when they were retractioned. No chance of the remaining six units being taken on, they are in very poor shape even if SWR wanted to.

The refurbishment also includes making them DDA compliant so no exemption required.

Wolfie

Established Member
That’s so different!! 701s are replacing trains with comfortable (IMO and many others O) seats, declassified first class and pull down tables - the Aventras do not have these. 442s are far more suitable for Intercity services than a 450. I’ve travelled on all one hundred and twenty seven of the awful things so trust me I know - for a long journey they’re awful. The 442s are in every way an upgrade and the no450 bunch have definitely got what they wanted yet want more.
Portsmouth to London is not, never has been and never will be, an inter city journey. I do agree though that 3+2 isn't suitable for that distance.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I am surprised SWR are only taking 18 of them on. I would have thought they'd have taken the lot, which would have allowed them to free up more 450s to increase the number of carriages on other 450 services and put 444s on other routes, but I'll take what I can get...
18 will be enough. Eventually you’d find there were no suitable 450 routes left to extend to 12 car, or 444 to 10 car.

It’s been explained by SWR staff before that they already have nearly enough stock available to run almost all 444/450 services into Waterloo at maximum length, the extra trains provide for additional services, and the extensions of 4 tph from Haslemere to Portsmouth etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.