• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
My guess is would allows for a bit more slack in the 450/444 availability. I presume that currently the Desiro fleets are being stretched as much as possible to cover the shortfall in 442s ?.

I would imagine the Desiro fleet is now pretty relaxed, there’s now a built in spare that sits in Waterloo platform 19. It comes in as 2P98 during morning peak and sits there until 1600ish where it forms another service. The main issue lately is crew, where desiro stock in the evening peak has been split and made 5 v 10 to run the services, as there isn’t enough 442 trained guards, but there’s not enough in general to release those for training.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pompeyfan

Established Member
An idle thought that has struck me lately, are the 442 headlights the wrong way round? Daytime lights should be on the right hand side of the unit, nighttime should be on the left but every time I’ve seen one it’s the opposite.

spark001uk

Established Member
Just saw 08 and 20 on 5Q38 headed for London. Crew training? That the pair from today's cancelled diagram? I say today's as it does seem to be an ongoing theme that one diagram is knocked out.

Nammer

Yes was the pair from today’s earlier cancelled diagram - formed 9P41 back from London Waterloo

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Will there be 442's running this weekend as I intend to go for a ride on one to or from Woking and I understand there is engineering work between Haslemere and Portsmouth.

richardmid67

An idle thought that has struck me lately, are the 442 headlights the wrong way round? Daytime lights should be on the right hand side of the unit, nighttime should be on the left but every time I’ve seen one it’s the opposite.

Yes, you're correct, SWR driver reps requested this because at night (with driver's side headlamp lit) the light can bleed up the screen and interfere with visibility, as the lamp is positioned below a cover and inside the windscreen. It is indeed opposite to convention but I was told it dates back to prior arrangements that 442 drivers established.

Thumper1127

I notice from the May timetable change this service leaves Portsmouth a couple of minutes earlier at 06.40 (but still the same time at Guildford) so it appears someone has been keeping their eye on this service and it’s performance.

Punctuality of 442s services does however generally seem to be improving.

I’ve checked and it has an additional minute at Fratton and 30 seconds at Havant, Liss, Liphook and Godalming.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Could be wrong but appears there’s been a 442 in platform 13 all day at Waterloo, inward berth 5Q68, outward berth -TBA

theironroad

Established Member
It’s left there from Friday nights disruption, should have been 21.05 Poole.

Indeed.

Not helped by the Brock to Poole line being under possession so the units couldn't get back to BMH depot all weekend and also Guildford to haslemere/Havant.

A little surprised that 5Q68 wasn't moved to Fratton depot via Eastleigh over the weekend.

Seems like currently , 5Q68 will form 9P17 on Pl 13 - 0800 WAT - PMH Monday 9/3

However, cue a lot of pi&&hed off commuters in the morning as both the 0545 POO-WAT and 0651 SOA - WAT have been caped.

spark001uk

Established Member
Wouldn't surprise me if this was also affected by the now suspended strike action this coming week. Crew re-hashed and re-unhashed and all that.

theironroad

Established Member
Wouldn't surprise me if this was also affected by the now suspended strike action this coming week. Crew re-hashed and re-unhashed and all that.

Could have been easily moved out of WAT sat or sun at least ECS to Pompey and that would never have required a guard.

pompeyfan

Established Member
You’d have needed either 2 442 trained drivers, or a 442 trained driver, a route trained driver and a 442 trained guard to prep the unit though and as far as I can see crew availability was a bit naff.

infobleep

Veteran Member
You’d have needed either 2 442 trained drivers, or a 442 trained driver, a route trained driver and a 442 trained guard to prep the unit though and as far as I can see crew availability was a bit naff.

What would the guard have needed to do for this hypothetical ECS move?

pompeyfan

Established Member
What would the guard have needed to do for this hypothetical ECS move?

A 2nd competent person is required to perform a continuity brake test each time a different crew move the train (And various other circumstances). Basically it’s to confirm the brake pressure is consistent along the length of the train. During normal service conditions it’s the guard who assists in this, but it could be a depot driver, fitter or any other competent person.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
A 2nd competent person is required to perform a continuity brake test each time a different crew move the train (And various other circumstances). Basically it’s to confirm the brake pressure is consistent along the length of the train. During normal service conditions it’s the guard who assists in this, but it could be a depot driver, fitter or any other competent person.

So the second driver could’ve done it then?

Lockwood

Does that brake test happen once at startup, or during the run as well?

Could a competent guard be borrowed for the start up test, and the service run with a driver and route trained driver?

pompeyfan

Established Member
Brake test needs to be done at the start of each journey where the relieving crew do not see the inbound crew, so if the unit is in and out of Waterloo or Portsmouth harbour where the new crew see the old crew no brake test is required, however if a crew don’t see the previous crew, or it’s a new day a brake test must be done. There are also other situation which require a brake test such as isolation of a brake, splitting/joining and other bits and pieces.

Lockwood

Mmhmm, so for the scenario of picking up a unit that is at one place and needs to be run empty to somewhere else?
I can understand it not being ideal, but any chance of being able to borrow someone from another duty for the initial brake test and then letting them go about their day?

pompeyfan

Established Member
Not many 442 competent crew (small percentage of Fratton and Bournemouth) would have been in Waterloo this weekend due to the planned engineering works. It also relies on identifying and asking them in a timely manner. Not impossible but still needs a desire to be proactive.

fgwrich

Established Member
Another 442 move today: ROG operates 47813 + 442412 worked Ely Papworth to Arlington Eastleigh. This is one of the unwanted ones and will likely go for further storage or scrapping there.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
When are we going to see more than just four weekday diagrams? Still far too many 450s on the 00/30 off Waterloo to be “2x2 on all Portsmouth fasts” as promised when SWR got the franchise.

pompeyfan

Established Member
When are we going to see more than just four weekday diagrams? Still far too many 450s on the 00/30 off Waterloo to be “2x2 on all Portsmouth fasts” as promised when SWR got the franchise.

hopefully we won’t....

Goldfish62

Established Member
as well as door faults and various other cancellations during the week.
It's a pity that the 442s don't qualify for Roger Ford's monthly new train reliability survey. Does anyone have idea what the MTIN (miles per technical incident) is for them currently?

theironroad

Established Member

No time soon as it's a struggle already to fulfill the current diagrams.

Status
Not open for further replies.