• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spark001uk

Established Member
Assuming 2419 has now undergone sufficient testing then, in order for further units to be approved for it? Or are they waiting until a pair is ready?

DBS92042

Established Member
U.2402 moving from Eastleigh Works to Wolverton this afternoon for AC conversation.
Is it known whether this working is still happening as it doesn't appear to have left Eastleigh yet (at least according to RTT)?

spark001uk

Established Member
ROG has despatched 37800 from Ilford to Eastleigh on VSTP, so can only assume the choppers are playing up.
Just passing Wallers Ash as we speak so it's almost there.
Original 5Q77 now shows cancelled.

moley

I thought Coronavirus would have been the final nail in the coffin.

The new found ability for traditional city workers to work locally or from home is bound to have an impact on passenger numbers for the next 2-3 years.

theironroad

Established Member
Assuming 2419 has now undergone sufficient testing then, in order for further units to be approved for it? Or are they waiting until a pair is ready?

No mainline testing has been done on the unit that was fitted with AC traction last year (not sure which one it was tbh) as it was found to be very slightly out of gauge so wasn't allowed out on mainline. Can only guess the issue has been sorted.

The new found ability for traditional city workers to work locally or from home is bound to have an impact on passenger numbers for the next 2-3 years.

So do a lot of train crew.

In their favour at moment is a the amount of money that was spent on them and also, while more people will work form home in future, right now (or soon) tocs really need all the trains they can handle to deal with social distancing and the pigs can help that .

The unit fitted with AC traction motors last year was U.2416. Currently being rewired in Bournemouth Depot.

moley

I’m their favour at moment is a the amount of money that was spent on them and also, while more people will work form home in future, right now (or soon) tocs really need all the trains they can handle to deal with social distancing and the pigs can help that .
I didn’t think the unions would allow double manning the cab during social distancing? Surely that rules out using them?

theironroad

Established Member
The unit fitted with AC traction motors last year was U.2416. Currently being rewired in Bournemouth Depot.

Thanks, have they sorted the gauging issue?

I didn’t think the unions would allow double manning the cab during social distancing? Surely that rules out using them?

Correct, double manning was still required when they were withdrawn because of COVID19 and current policy is only one driver in cab unless rule book requirements.

When they're needed again, I'd imagine that the double manning agreement will be withdrawn as when they were withdrawn there were only about 4 or 5 route restrictions in force for them.

Who knows what the plan is, but if they're starting to ramp up the AC conversion maybe they will wait until that's done before reintroduction as drivers will need to have AC training and if the pigs stay away much longer , they'll need DC traction refreshers too.

U.2416 is a cab rewire I am told, several others are having same, to do with ASLEF request.
Not sure about the gauging problem, will try and find out.

SWR planning on bringing back a normal train service very soon which includes the use of 442's.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

ROG has despatched 37800 from Ilford to Eastleigh on VSTP, so can only assume the choppers are playing up.
Just passing Wallers Ash as we speak so it's almost there.
Original 5Q77 now shows cancelled.

37800 now working a revised moves with the 20s hanging on the back.

BRX

Established Member

I guess it depends whether you say that a line where everyone has a seat where previously lots of people had to stand is then considered 'under capacity'.

fgwrich

Established Member
37800 now working a revised moves with the 20s hanging on the back.

Photos (not mine) of the consist passing through Worting Junction near Basingstoke this morning. Looks like the motor coach will need repainting once finished.

moley

Has the motorcoach been swapped for one from a different set? Seems odd that it wasn't repainted at the same time as the rest of the sets, like the other sets were.

hwl

Established Member
Has the motorcoach been swapped for one from a different set? Seems odd that it wasn't repainted at the same time as the rest of the sets, like the other sets were.
In the photo it already has a lot of new electrical equipment boxes underneath are those the new auxiliary supplies or was some of the traction power equipment work previously started but not completed?

Both U.2402 & U.2416 had their MBLS taken out of the set in Eastleigh Works and the remaining 4 coaches of both sets were loco hauled to Bournemouth Depot where they were repainted whilst AC motors were fitted.
Later U.2402 & U.2416 coaches were brought back from Bournemouth Depot where they were reunited with their MBLS coach, that is why U.2402 has an odd liveried coach.U.2416 was hauled back to Bournemouth Depot.

U.2419 was sent to Wolverton to have its "Drag Box" modified to clear the new AC traction motors.

Last edited:

Looks like MBLS (62960) of U.2424 in process of being cut up in Eastleigh Works, photo courtesy of Carl Watson.

Rick1984

Video on my phone of one going into Fratton depot. There was another already in there

pompeyfan

Established Member
Video on my phone of one going into Fratton depot. There was another already in there

looks like it’s going onto the reception road so likely to be the set that was in the DCS heading off to Bournemouth through the east end.

nlogax

Established Member
On retractioning do they lost the distinctive compressor (?) sound?

From what I've read here before now I don't think compressors are changed during the retractioning process, though happy to be corrected. New AC motor sounds will be more obvious. I believe they're going to sound like just like Class 321 / Renatus refurbs.. listen below.

Goldfish62

Established Member
From what I've read here before now I don't think compressors are changed during the retractioning process, though happy to be corrected. New AC motor sounds will be more obvious. I believe they're going to sound like just like Class 321 / Renatus refurbs.. listen below.

Very similar to the 455s.

Nym

Established Member
Class 321, 442 and 455 AC motor conversions all use Vossloh Kiepe traction packages.
Also known as the Explodey AC Traction...?

I still honestly don't see the point in re-tractioning something that only realistically has a lifespan of another 2 - 5 years.

Romsey

I think it was a requirement in the franchise agreement to retraction the 442's. A costly but easy promise. Any delay can be put down to "technical problems" and hopefully the DfT would know enough not to question.
Much of the noise isn't the electric motor, it comes from the the final drive gears between the motor and driven axle.

Whatever, nothing had the sound effects available on a 4COR, starting with the creaking wooden body over rough track!

Status
Not open for further replies.