• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

VEP3417

be nice if they where to sell little mementos off before they started scrapping the rest of them, who dosnt want a guards van slam door style twist door handle :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mollman

Established Member
Also known as the Explodey AC Traction...?

I still honestly don't see the point in re-tractioning something that only realistically has a lifespan of another 2 - 5 years.
It is the usual issue with the railways. Re-tractioning was all the rage when DfT favoured price over quality with the 321s expected to last another 10 years. Now new stock counts towards a successful bid the lifespan of re-tractioned units is a lot shorter than expected.

fgwrich

Established Member
It is the usual issue with the railways. Re-tractioning was all the rage when DfT favoured price over quality with the 321s expected to last another 10 years. Now new stock counts towards a successful bid the lifespan of re-tractioned units is a lot shorter than expected.

And the modification to the GW HST Fleet. Some of those TC Conversions were less than 3 years old when they went for storage, now they're heading for scrap.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don’t think it’s that black and white. With the SWR Franchise you had both fleet replacement of 455s with brand new (havying just been retractioned), and reintroduction of elderly 442s (still being retractioned). So both sides of the argument in one bid?

Mollman

Established Member
I don’t think it’s that black and white. With the SWR Franchise you had both fleet replacement of 455s with brand new (havying just been retractioned), and reintroduction of elderly 442s (still being retractioned). So both sides of the argument in one bid?
I see your point and I did think about that. It comes back to money in some respects. Replacing the 455/456s with 5/10 coach emus made sense but they probably couldn't then justify new emus from Portsmouth fasts so 442s were the obvious solution - retractioned to give extended service.

theironroad

Established Member
Video on my phone of one going into Fratton depot. There was another already in there

When was this?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Given that the 450's are able to be converted to use OHLE then it's entirely possible for Northern to use them as a replacement for their current EMU's.

(Runs and hides after suggesting that cast offs from the South should be used in the North!)

More seriously though they could be useful for routes which have a mix of 3rd rail/OHLE.

The 444's could be useful for the likes of XC on their Southampton to Manchester services with some extra wires. Likewise, GWR could find the 450's useful for Reading/Gatwick services with some wires.
Wouldn’t it be easier all round to just buy new stock for XC, such as the bimode IETs that are suggested every couple of months?

D365

Veteran Member
For those that haven't seen it, there's a discussion about potential options for replacement of the SWR mainline fleet here. :D

Class 442 units that they got AC traction motors fitted are 2402, 2415 & 2419. All 3 units now currently at Wolverton.

Don Steedy

It was not 2416. It was 2419.

And it was not being rewired at Bournemouth. And nothing to do with the cabs.

2419 is having some further modifications which will then be carried out to the other three AC units, and then the other 14 units as part of their traction conversion.

There is a separate work package regarding the cabs.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Last edited:

pigs bay

Can anyone give any insight to the fate of the 442's now back at Eastleigh, and does any one know why only the motor coaches of 2405 and 2424 have been scrapped leaving them basically a state of like a 'new' 4 TC

Phil Scott

I thought one of the driving coaches from 2401 had been designated for preservation. Could be mistaken though.

VEP3417

looking at RTT looks like from the 15th theyre starting extensive daily testing again, about 10 times a day from bournemouth to staines up loop and back
i only checked from the 15th to the 30th but testing goes into next month but i didnt check that far ahead

spark001uk

Established Member
If you're referring to the 5Qxx workings, it was discussed a couple of months back that they are more likely to be test paths for the 701s, delivery of which has been delayed. As for why they aren't showing on RTT until the 15th, that's probably because they are currently getting set as planned cancellation, but this is generally only done a couple of weeks ahead. If you select the CAN switch on RTT and search again for today you'll see them.

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
basically a state of like a 'new' 4 TC

I’m sure it was mentioned further up that some reformations are taking place to create some better condition units, the trailers will also go in due course once component recovery takes place. I suspect the motors have gone first because of the higher value metals in the control equipment

Nym

Established Member
I’m sure it was mentioned further up that some reformations are taking place to create some better condition units, the trailers will also go in due course once component recovery takes place. I suspect the motors have gone first because of the higher value metals in the control equipment
Or perhaps Asbesdos issues?
I'm not sure if the line breakers etc would have still been ACM, but it has to be suspected as such.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Or perhaps Asbesdos issues?
I'm not sure if the line breakers etc would have still been ACM, but it has to be suspected as such.
I doubt such a late build (even with reused traction equipment) would have an asbestos issue. Even if they did line breakers could be removed as a whole assembly and placed aside before wholesale scrapping begins.

VEP3417

If you're referring to the 5Qxx workings, it was discussed a couple of months back that they are more likely to be test paths for the 701s, delivery of which has been delayed. As for why they aren't showing on RTT until the 15th, that's probably because they are currently getting set as planned cancellation, but this is generally only done a couple of weeks ahead. If you select the CAN switch on RTT and search again for today you'll see them.

ahh yes just seen about half of them are cancelled, diddnt know about the 701s when do they start to be tested?

Neither 5O86 1018 Derby RTC to Bournemouth Depot nor 010N 1048 Eastleigh Works to Bournemouth Depot have departed yet.

spark001uk

Established Member
5086 now running as 5F95 and left Derby 177 minutes late
It vanished for a while, but looks like it went via Leicester/Nuneaton. Back on track now, passing Water Orton (1505).

Last edited:

palmersears

Established Member
It vanished for a while, but looks like it went via Leicester/Nuneaton. Back on track now, passing Water Orton (1505).
Incident at Tamworth has shut the lines through the high-level platforms, so it was sent the long way round.

spark001uk

Established Member
Incident at Tamworth has shut the lines through the high-level platforms, so it was sent the long way round.
Ah yes, I see that now. Showing as fire svc attending 6E54 Kingsbury - Immingham oil, hot wheelsets apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.