• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
One of my bosses at work told me he does not think we will not be seeing the 442's in passenger service now until September when they expect a full timetable to be in place.
Is this true?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pompeyfan

Established Member
One of my bosses at work told me he does not think we will not be seeing the 442's in passenger service now until September when they expect a full timetable to be in place.
Is this true?

ASLEF are telling their members December I believe.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
The next timetable runs from 6th July nationally for 9 weeks (of which 442s don’t play a part) then there’s a timetable from mid a September through to December which varies TOC by TOC but still not a full timetable. Can’t see 442s being needed for that either

spark001uk

Established Member
I agree, that would also explain why they're throwing them at Wolverton works. The time that's all done, tested, crew trained etc, that's going to take a good few months. I've a feeling we won't see them in service with dc traction again now.
(Glad I got a good few trips in last year, the sound of those motors was a nice throwback).

VEP3417

shame, missed that movement as usual, really need to start checking in on here every day just in case

keep posting them, i might pick up one one day :lol: :rolleyes:

Western Sunset

Established Member
Thanks for the headsup. Might catch it before I go to school - if I get up early.....

I assume that the Class 47, which brought a unit down late last week, has spent the weekend at BM.

spark001uk

Established Member
... I assume that the Class 47, which brought a unit down late last week, has spent the weekend at BM.
That's probably the case yes, so it should be 815 (unless there's another one down there).
Makes sense to ROG as it's less paths to buy (assuming they have to pay per journey), plus they appear quite busy lately so one loco for a round trip would be preferable.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Plus four translator coaches together at the front of the formation (ie after reversal at Poole). There was only yours truly, on the footbridge by the sidings in Poole, watching it reverse.

spark001uk

Established Member
Plus four translator coaches together at the front of the formation (ie after reversal at Poole). There was only yours truly, on the footbridge by the sidings in Poole, watching it reverse.
Nice, glad you caught it! Here's a shot I got.
Screenshot_20200629-104018_Gallery.jpg

theironroad

Established Member
Seems to be another move in RTT to Wolverton this coming Thursday 9/7 leaving Bournemouth depot at 0635.

How many of the 18 units have been retractioned now?

spark001uk

Established Member
Today's run from Wolverton to BM hasn't been activated on RTT so looks like this (and tomorrow's return) are none-runners.
Happens sometimes unfortunately. Yesterday's 701 delivery was on for a while too, then cancelled last minute.

_toommm_

Established Member
Just been past Wolverton Works, and it looked as if they were getting ready to deliver a new unit as they were hooking up an ROG loco.
I believe it was 2404... can anyone confirm please?

spark001uk

Established Member
anyone know the 47 number
It's 57312, hauling 2402, which still has the GatEx liveried motor coach (62938).
Return to Wolverton with another unit rebooked for tomorrow:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K02106/2020-07-11/detailed
On another note, yesterday's Bournemouth to Wolverton on RTT showed reports at branksome and Poole, then 'no report' all the way to Acton Wells jn (arr 1046), then nothing. I'm almost certain nothing ran, so I'm guessing there was some sort of glitch with the NR reporting system?

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
It's 57312, hauling 2402, which still has the GatEx liveried motor coach (62938).
Return to Wolverton with another unit rebooked for tomorrow:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K02106/2020-07-11/detailed
On another note, yesterday's Bournemouth to Wolverton on RTT showed reports at branksome and Poole, then 'no report' all the way to Acton Wells jn (arr 1046), then nothing. I'm almost certain nothing ran, so I'm guessing there was some sort of glitch with the NR reporting system?

That'll be 2425 on the move.......:o

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what the turnround (cycle) time is for the retractioning now that they’ve done a few?

_toommm_

Established Member
There were two 442s parked up in a siding just below the high level platforms of Portsmouth and Southsea today. Is that normal, or can anyone tell me why they were there please?

spark001uk

Established Member
Does anyone know what the turnround (cycle) time is for the retractioning now that they’ve done a few?
2402 went to Wolverton on 16th May if that's any help. Whether it was started on straight away (and left as soon as finished) I don't know.

Nammer

There were originally 2 10 car pairs in the DCS at Portsmouth & Southsea. There has only been 1 10 car pair there for the last week or so. The units have been moved between there and Fratton Depot occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.