• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Steedy

The one thing they don't have is a lamp bracket on the outside. Watched someone try to put a rear lamp on one - after 5 mins they wedged one behind the windscreen with a piece of wood.....

There is a removable lamp bracket in a cupboard in the vestibule behind the secondman’s seat. Fits in to a pocket on the side of the gangway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spark001uk

Established Member
Indeed, although this one appears to be affixed by some other means.
Screenshot_20200725-131200_Video Player.jpg

Last edited:

HstFan33

Hi Just noticed that there is a path for a Bournemouth to Wolverton for Wednesday 29th July, Is that going to run
Cheers

spark001uk

Established Member
Hi Just noticed that there is a path for a Bournemouth to Wolverton for Wednesday 29th July, Is that going to run
Cheers
A bit doubtful, they usually bring one unit down and take another one up. I don't see any workings like that on the days before or after, nor any loco running down.

pigs bay

do anyone know what is happening to 2407 as it has been put in a shed at Eastleigh, and according to a member of Eastleigh staff it may see further service with SWR. Can anyone clarify this or whatever its fate is.

spark001uk

Established Member
113L now over Acton canal wharf. Reported as 47812, 442418, and a total of six (bit excessive?) barrier vehicles.
Move booked for loco back up to Chaddesden later, so seems it's not taking another unit up on this occasion.

Bigfoot

113L now over Acton canal wharf. Reported as 47812, 442418, and a total of six (bit excessive?) barrier vehicles.
Move booked for loco back up to Chaddesden later, so seems it's not taking another unit up on this occasion.
The barriers probably just need moving down and if a path is open why not use it...

Bob M

I was on Christchurch station just after 11 o'clock this morning, and a 10-car pig went through towards Bournemouth under its own power.

That was 5Q24 0958 Bournemouth Depot to Bournemouth Depot via Brockenhurst 2410/2420 on train crew refreshers

spark001uk

Established Member
The barriers probably just need moving down and if a path is open why not use it...
Indeed that can and does happen, however in this case the Rog loco has taken all 6 back home again this morning.
In fact, seems all (I think?) of the Wolverton moves have been barriered, despite the Rog locos' ability to haul them on their own, as they did in all the Ely storage moves for instance.
I'm sure someone will clarify, but my initial thought is it's something to do with the changes to the braking system at Wolverton and they're isolated, hence the barriers for brake force?

Western Sunset

Established Member
If I recall from previous moves, those to BM from Wolverton have had x2 barrier coaches at each end, whilst moves to Wolverton from BM have only had x2 barriers at one end of the formation.

Lockwood

I'm guessing @Lockwood is referring to 5Z52 which is running between Bournemouth T&R.S.M.D and Northam C.S.D. now?
Maybe? We were going from Poole to Bournemouth, saw it sat on a line next to the road bridge. Seen some sat there before.

The not-Poole end looked a lot more colourful than it should have been

Train Boy

I'm guessing @Lockwood is referring to 5Z52 which is running between Bournemouth T&R.S.M.D and Northam C.S.D. now?

Suspect it was just a usual passenger working based on the time of the post. 5Z51 was a pair of 444s in SWT colours.

EDIT: Based on post #5,269 we were both wrong with our assumptions!

Lockwood

They were parked up here. I have seen a pair there ages ago - some time in 2019. Couldn't tell if they were the same pair.

Screenshot_20200830-122557_OS Maps.jpg

Image shows an extract of an Ordnance Survey 50k map of Dorset, showing a red highlight on a railway line next to the A338 Wessex Way between SZ 0702 9164 and SZ 0737 9150

Western Sunset

Established Member
There is a siding alongside the carriage washing machine. Class 442s have been parked-up there for a long time. Not sure what the poster above meant by "urban livery" though.

pompeyfan

Established Member
There is a siding alongside the carriage washing machine. Class 442s have been parked-up there for a long time. Not sure what the poster above meant by "urban livery" though.

One would imagine one of the local graffiti artists have kindly decided to decorate a unit?

Railengineer

To save me scrolling back through 50 odd pages...are any of these units actually operating in service with AC traction yet?
Worst Group trumpeted these as highlight of the franchise. Franchise has ended now,

DelW

Established Member
Why? They're required from December when most should have been retractioned.
Will they be required though? My (admittedly anecdotal) impression is that commuter numbers are still way down, and latest government advice has gone back to "work from home if you can". Will peak extras really be needed in December?

jfollows

Established Member
I hope to see them again, they're nice units and I have good memories.

In 1986 I lived in Portchester but would walk home from Fareham, so would often use the 91 xx.45 departure from Waterloo and change at Eastleigh. 4-REP+8-TC, and I'd sit at the front of the train, slightly weird leaving Waterloo because it was so quiet. But the 442 replacements were more modern.

Most recently, I went on holiday in Cuba in 2015 and used the Gatwick Express 442 to get to the airport.

Between times, I did live near Petersfield 1988-1992 or so, but I think the service was exclusively CIG+BEP+CIG then, subsequently there were some 442 workings for sure.

I'd like to use them again on the Portsmouth Direct, or indeed elsewhere, let's see what transpires .....

Status
Not open for further replies.