• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRAX

Established Member
There is also a picture of 442408 coupled with 442404 where the difference is evident. It was posted as a Twitter link earlier in the thread.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pompeyfan

Established Member
Any source for this? Just so I don't waste any time trying to wait for one. :D

Incorrect, no 442s in service until December T/T change at the earliest, likely to be May at this rate though.

Monday however is the first day of 450113 and 444040 being back in traffic guardless and buffetless.

traji00

A blogger visits Eastleigh works:

https://railwayworld.net/2018/11/05/plastic-pigs-are-go/#more-2422

Two points stick out here (source: SWR engineering director)

...after the timetable change hiatus, introduction of the full fleet and its re-equipment with new traction motors will take another 12 months, and its not expected to be completed until December 2019.

All were undergoing extensive internal refurbishment that will include re-location of First Class and installation of 2+2 seating identical to the First Class accommodation in Class 450 units...

moley

A blogger visits Eastleigh works:

https://railwayworld.net/2018/11/05/plastic-pigs-are-go/#more-2422

Two points stick out here (source: SWR engineering director)
Even the Class 444s will get the Class 450 first class seats during their refurbishment. SWR have said that the interior of the Class 442s and Class 444s should be as similar as possible.

As for the timetable, full fleet of Class 442s with interior mods expected by mid-March. Then they will start upgrading to the new traction motors (delayed because of the problems they've had). If you take one set out of service and return ten days later then that will take until Christmas 2019.

As the new timetable has been delayed until at least May 2019, I would expect that by March, you will have the almost full allocation of Class 442 units covering diagrams on the existing timetable thus allowing extra Class 444s/450s to go for refurbishment (rather than just covering the Pompey direct fasts).

TEW

Established Member
Even the Class 444s will get the Class 450 first class seats during their refurbishment. SWR have said that the interior of the Class 442s and Class 444s should be as similar as possible.
The 444s are being fitted with 2+2 seating in First Class as part of the refurbishment, but it is not the same seats as in the 450s. I believe it Is FISA Lean seats that they are getting, the same as are going in Greater Anglia's Flirts.

Train wasp

Thanks for the pictures.

I know I've said it before, in this very thread, but they should reinstate the covers over the jumper cables. Especially if, as I understand it, they will be running as 10 car units with hardly any coupling or uncoupling.

Does anyone know if the jump cable covers still exist or were they binned when they were removed from the units.

pigs bay

2414 was refitted with jumper covers before it went into store at Ely, but it has now had them removed by Bournemouth depot for some reason..It will be interesting to see if 2422 keeps them on.

dan bennett

2414 was refitted with jumper covers before it went into store at Ely, but it has now had them removed by Bournemouth depot for some reason..It will be interesting to see if 2422 keeps them on.

They’re all removed from the SWR fleet

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Have the Aircon units been replaced as part of the refurb. Loads were not working when last in service.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They are.
I think the majority of diagrams seen are for driver training. They are an in service stock type and already route cleared, so all they should really need is normal maintenance and functional checks. Testing in the true sense should only occur once the retractioning starts.

Monty

Established Member
They are having additional mods being made to them, primarily to prevent the units from taking power with a local door open. So that will also need to be tested prior to entering service.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They are having additional mods being made to them, primarily to prevent the units from taking power with a local door open. So that will also need to be tested prior to entering service.
Would that need a long distance test run though? I assume certain mods can be validated in depot conditions.

Monty

Established Member
Would that need a long distance test run though? I assume certain mods can be validated in depot conditions.

Considering it affects the traction interlock I would assume it needs to be tested on mainline runs.

uxm

442s need to come in service ASAP or they'll have to do with a reduced service as they are needed to withdraw the 450s and 444s for PRM mods.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
442s need to come in service ASAP or they'll have to do with a reduced service as they are needed to withdraw the 450s and 444s for PRM mods.
Has been said many times already in this and other SWR related threads, but to be accurate they are seating capacity mods, nothing to do with PRM.

Bigfoot

Pretty
Rank
Moquette
mods

That's as close to PRM as you'll get.

moley

I thought the PIS was supposed to be brought up to date with the Thameslink and class 707 units.

theironroad

Established Member
I thought the PIS was supposed to be brought up to date with the Thameslink and class 707 units.

I'm sure someone will dig it out, but you might be right. Thought there was supposed to be some sort of real time pis screens.

uxm

Apologies I had a confusuion as to what PRM stood for and assumed it's new seats and stuff l.

Status
Not open for further replies.