• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The seats on the overnight trains are NOT ironing boards. They are a type of seat I haven't seen before, which I *think* is British made. They have substantial "wings" to aid sleeping.

The reason for going 2+2 is to provide capacity for use as a local service towards Penzance, though I do wonder if, if they're going to do that, they should have kept one coach with 2+1 with decent recliners (not tables, though, I wouldn't want tables on a night train) and had it as First Class with well-priced Advances and upgrades available.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

physics34

Established Member
The seats on the overnight trains are NOT ironing boards. They are a type of seat I haven't seen before, which I *think* is British made. They have substantial "wings" to aid sleeping.

The reason for going 2+2 is to provide capacity for use as a local service towards Penzance, though I do wonder if, if they're going to do that, they should have kept one coach with 2+1 with decent recliners (not tables, though, I wouldn't want tables on a night train) and had it as First Class with well-priced Advances and upgrades available.

..but they have still been described as hard and uncomfortable

moley

Is there some indication as to how are they going to be used only on Portsmouth Fasts given the current interworking between slow and fast services at Waterloo - is there a timetable recast of some sort?

Remember that slow Haslemeres are being extended to Portsmouth so the interworking wouldn't necessarily work any way.

spark001uk

Established Member
442404 and 442409 just passed through Ely station behind 47815 en route to Eastleigh
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P91580/2017/09/07/advanced

Now changed to Bournemouth.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K13613/2017/09/07/advanced

As a side note, don't forget these units all had their shoegear removed at Eastleigh prior to leaving for Ely, so unless these parts are shipped from Eastleigh to Bournemouth I'm not sure they could complete retractioning there? Unless it includes new shoegear/beams maybe.

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member

BestWestern

Established Member
But presumably they wouldn't have known that when the unit was being prepared for storage?

They're unlikely to have given it much consideration, I'd imagine. The things were expected to end up scrapped and probably filthy straight out of service I would think.

bastien

They're unlikely to have given it much consideration, I'd imagine. The things were expected to end up scrapped and probably filthy straight out of service I would think.

I thought they had to hand them back to the owner in the condition they arrived?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I thought they had to hand them back to the owner in the condition they arrived?

People often post that there's such a blanket rule, but I reckon it's more likely that some cases will have their own different requirements negotiated with the ROSCO.

skyhigh

Established Member
It's also possible that it's the ROSCO that removed the shoegear before sending them for storage?

delt1c

Established Member
..but they have still been described as hard and uncomfortable

You only spend one night on the seat. You should try 9 hours in a MK1 compartment with 5 other passengers then you would have something to moan about. That was old style overnight seated.

spark001uk

Established Member
You only spend one night on the seat. You should try 9 hours in a MK1 compartment with 5 other passengers then you would have something to moan about. That was old style overnight seated.

I thought seating in mk1 coaches was quite comfortable myself.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If they end up getting new seating, I hope it'll be as close as possible to their original style seating. Can the snug and buffet be easily put back?

Bear that word in mind: capacity. Everything you mentioned here costs seats.

I'll give it one week from when they enter service for the first complaint to appear on twitter - "I haven't been able to get a bloody seat on my commute for a week. You are the worst train company. Bring the old trains back!!!!"

Seriously, they complained hard enough on that route. Now they have what they want, I hope they are happy.

cjmillsnun

Established Member

9 hours on a Mk1 seat. Bliss. Earplugs in and mask on. I'd be asleep in minutes.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Just watched a vid on youtube of one of the moves to Bournemouth and it looks like the 47 hauling it run round in the carriage sidings at Poole before pulling it towards Bournemouth depot. Are they not allowed to reverse a loco hauled train into Bournemouth depot from Branksome station with the loco at the opposite end from the direction of travel?

pompeyfan

Established Member
Just watched a vid on youtube of one of the moves to Bournemouth and it looks like the 47 hauling it run round in the carriage sidings at Poole before pulling it towards Bournemouth depot. Are they not allowed to reverse a loco hauled train into Bournemouth depot from Branksome station with the loco at the opposite end from the direction of travel?

It's probably easier, safer, more convenient to run round, although that does lead to the question of how they got the loco out? I wonder if one of the 73's were fired up?

It's probably easier, safer, more convenient to run round, although that does lead to the question of how they got the loco out? I wonder if one of the 73's were fired up?
Couldn't it just run round?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'll give it one week from when they enter service for the first complaint to appear on twitter - "I haven't been able to get a bloody seat on my commute for a week. You are the worst train company. Bring the old trains back!!!!"

Seriously, they complained hard enough on that route. Now they have what they want, I hope they are happy.

This is exactly why I thought it would never happen. DfT have obviously agreed, (contrary to everything ever said when SWT were running things), that peak seating capacity can be reduced - compared to the typical 12.450s used on the route.

So as for reinstating the buffet, snug and more luggage area for bikes? I guess the expression is "dream on"...

Maybe they'l just skip stop Woking or Guildford or somewhere, as I thought a few months ago, and try and get some Surrey passengers onto the shorter distance trains.

moley

This is exactly why I thought it would never happen. DfT have obviously agreed, (contrary to everything ever said when SWT were running things), that peak seating capacity can be reduced - compared to the typical 12.450s used on the route.

So as for reinstating the buffet, snug and more luggage area for bikes? I guess the expression is "dream on"...

Maybe they'l just skip stop Woking or Guildford or somewhere, as I thought a few months ago, and try and get some Surrey passengers onto the shorter distance trains.

The 2018 timetable proposes two additional Pompey Direct Line trains between 1700 and 1900. Taken together with the additional standard class seating being added to the class 444s and 450s, you should see a net increase.

Suggestions seem to be that at least two services could be first stop Godalming or Haslemere.

Forgive me if it has been reported elsewhere but 2408 was just seen calling at platform 4 at East Croydon a little over an hour ago heading north under ita own power! Test run / warm up for SWR??

03_179

Established Member
Forgive me if it has been reported elsewhere but 2408 was just seen calling at platform 4 at East Croydon a little over an hour ago heading north under ita own power! Test run / warm up for SWR??

5Y32 Stewart Lane to Brighton failed at Thornton Heath (442412).

1Z99 442408 sent via Tulse Hill and East Croydon to Rescue it.

Then formed 5Z99 Thornton Heath to Selhurst Depot via East Croydon.

442408 was supposed to be 5Y82 Stewarts Lane to Selhurst Depot but this was cape to make the assist.

I'll type up on my blog later if I get the chance

Last edited:

dp21

442s aren't going to make it into SWR revenue-earning service before retraction and refurb, right?

No, I believe the idea is that they enter service "refurbished as new" from December 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.