• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 455 blinds

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWT Driver

Personally I wish SWT would do away they blasted things, they're a menace.

They regularly jam solid, so now I just give up & use the main destination & no "via" ones as they seem to jam more frequently than the main destination ones.

I'd prefer the digital ones like the Desiros have, which are linked to the PIS system & therefore maintenance free.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O L Leigh

Established Member
I stand to be corrected, but I believe that Class 313-315 units carry 24inch wide destination blinds and the earlier classes carry 27inch wide blinds. I would welcome any info to the contrary.

Interesting. Well I can certainly measure the width of the current Cl315 blind and report back.

I lean towards the fact that it's a Class 315 blind, because the date stamped on it is when they were being introduced to traffic. The marks on the left hand side of the blind (the photo looks as though yours is the same), look like water has seeped in from where the gangway door is located too!

Leaks from the nose-end door would not stain the destination blind. These doors still leak even now and the water does not find it's way into the box. Any water damage is likely to have been the result of a bad seal on the glass and, consequently, water staining on one side or the other is not conclusive evidence.

What might help more is to see where the blind is dirtiest and most crinkled. If it's "Liverpool Street", "Shenfield" and "Gidea Park" it's almost certainly from a Cl315.

Personally I wish SWT would do away they blasted things, they're a menace.

I'd prefer the digital ones like the Desiros have, which are linked to the PIS system & therefore maintenance free.

I disagree on the basis that if the PIS fails (as it is wont to do on our Cl317's) you are left with no external destination indication at all. While blinds can jam, my experience of them is that this is rare.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Im sick of seeing those blinds lol,

I havent had one jam on me yet, or havent had any reported to be jammed, but we have to check that they operate freely.

I normally leave it with some things different on the front like Basingstoke Via Chertsey 99 or 98, cant remember which!

I do wonder how they were obtained, maybe one of the store men at wimbldeon nicked them for a friend who then sold them!.

Steve

SWT Driver

The SWT blinds are a menace as you always find idiots have nicked the tensioning nut, so it's impossible to turn or they've nicked the retaining nut that holds the mechanism in place or WD can't be arsed to replace the damned handles, so you get a botch job which nicks/pinches either your fingers or the skin on your fingers.

There's a few running around where the mechanism is so badly worn, there's at least 8, if not more washers holding it together & that regularly jams.

So if anyone from WD is reading this...

PULL YOUR FINGER OUT & REPAIR THE BLOODY THINGS!

Established Member
Typical driver, never b****y happy and always moaning!

If i had a pound for every time id scratched/cut/grazed my fingers while working on 455s id be rich!

Status
Not open for further replies.