• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 455 to Brighton - 19/01

Status
Not open for further replies.

ushawk

Established Member
Just in case people are interested, an additional "Gatwick Express" service is running from Victoria to Brighton this evening formed of 2 x Class 455 units.

Running info is below - http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O65358/2017/01/19/advanced

There will be an ECS move to take it back up to London as well, but there is currently no timings for that yet. It'll certainly be rare to see one of these running down to the coast!

(Though a peak time service from Victoria to Brighton might be a bit rarer itself!)

EDIT - It's running back up to Victoria in service - Calling at East Croydon, Clapham Junction and Victoria only - http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O65388/2017/01/19/advanced

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Trying to run added trains following the level of disruption that GTR has recently been facing would be exactly the sort of event when I'd expect this contingency route clearance to be used, so it's not too surprising.

I can't find the details of why this exact train has been operated, let alone with 455s but a number of additional Brighton services have been run today due to the overtime ban being suspended by ASLEF, as well as some shuttles between London Bridge and East Croydon, and a handful of trains on WLL/WCML too.

Bear in mind there was an electrical problem affecting Lovers Walk Depot earlier which may have affected stock availability, and there was a lesser-known problem getting attachments in sync at Victoria too, which may equally have been something to do with it.

There are quite a few Metro area drivers who sign both 455s and the BML from Victoria to Brighton, generally in the higher links, and that must have helped matters somewhat.

I'm glad to see that at least the Down working didn't arrive too far shy of its timings at Brighton, though the deeply cynical part of me is surprised that the dispatch staff at the lower BML stations didn't throw a wobbly about dealing with the stock... :p :o

westcoaster

Established Member
Saw this at three bridges heading south had to do a double take, only the second time in ten years I've seen a 455 south of redhill.

IrishDave

The return working (2Z55) was dispatched from Brighton ahead of the stopping Thameslink service due to leave two minutes in front of it (viz 1W62). As a result 2Z55 had a stonkingly clear run and ran non-stop from Brighton to East Croydon in 38mins 32secs, for a very impressive average speed of 62.7mph, against a booked time of 40 minutes. (I alighted at East Croydon.)

For the record, 2Z55 was advertised at both Brighton and East Croydon as not calling at Clapham Junction - i.e. just East Croydon and Victoria.

Many thanks to ushawk for the heads-up!

westcoaster

Established Member
The return working (2Z55) was dispatched from Brighton ahead of the stopping Thameslink service due to leave two minutes in front of it (viz 1W62). As a result 2Z55 had a stonkingly clear run and ran non-stop from Brighton to East Croydon in 38mins 32secs, for a very impressive average speed of 62.7mph, against a booked time of 40 minutes. (I alighted at East Croydon.)

For the record, 2Z55 was advertised at both Brighton and East Croydon as not calling at Clapham Junction - i.e. just East Croydon and Victoria.

Many thanks to ushawk for the heads-up!

Where is the like button

tsr

Established Member
Saw this at three bridges heading south had to do a double take, only the second time in ten years I've seen a 455 south of redhill.

It'll be happening a lot more soon. The empties for the weekday 0530 Redhill-Victoria service will be berthed at Three Bridges if all goes to plan, so that the Platform 0 project can proceed at Redhill itself. That stock will run empties to Redhill then start in service there.

Class377/5

Established Member
Does anyone know if this might run same time tomorrow? Many thanks :)

No. Was a special one off event using the only spare stock. There was also an additional 442 which ran as well. Sure the 442 was the GatEx service where as the 455 were supposed to be a special Southern service.

455 were used as few 377 got damaged on the East Grinstead line. Case of have cleared stock and drivers who sign it all so why not run them? People need trains home.

spark001uk

Established Member
Actually having said a long ride with no toilets, you actually see it more often on the Waterloo to Reading line, and that's 80 mins, compared to this working turning out to be just 70, and 55 on the return. ;)

Last edited:

Class455

Established Member
DAMN... If I only I knew about this in advance!! Then I would have gone out to spot it. Is tonight's working a one-off extra?

Last edited:
Thats annoying i missed this! I hope a 455 comes to Brighton again soon. Does anyone know when was the last time a 455 came to Brighton before this?

Class455

Established Member
Thats annoying i missed this! I hope a 455 comes to Brighton again soon. Does anyone know when was the last time a 455 came to Brighton before this?
2013, 455 824 took 2 456's down to Brighton to cover for a shortage of 377's on one peak hour service.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
^^ Look up. Post #11.

Thank you.
Argh I'm so annoyed I didn't get to see this >:( . Was the first time a 455 had been south of Redhill in 4 years . Really hoping another one goes down there in the near future.

tsr

Established Member
Was the first time a 455 had been south of Redhill in 4 years.

It wasn't.

For a start, especially when 455s were a little more common between Horsham and Victoria via Dorking, it has not been unheard of for them to operate to and from Horsham via Gatwick Airport during disruption on the Portsmouth Lines. I'd say that it's probably happened at least once or twice over the course of each of the last few years, if averaged out.

IrishDave

It wasn't.

For a start, especially when 455s were a little more common between Horsham and Victoria via Dorking, it has not been unheard of for them to operate to and from Horsham via Gatwick Airport during disruption on the Portsmouth Lines. I'd say that it's probably happened at least once or twice over the course of each of the last few years, if averaged out.

Would it, then, be accurate to say it was the first 455 south of Three Bridges since 2013?

Deepgreen

Established Member
I am having a little trouble understanding the reasoning behind the operation of this train. Was it in addition to the full timetabled service level (as implied by the mention of the overtime ban suspension)? If so - why, given that there is obviously no build-up of passengers waiting for a train from the last several months to be cleared!? Of course, if the full service was not being operated, all is clearer (although the use of 455s under the sub-TOC banner of GX is still odd - why was it not run as a Southern working?).

Edit - the RTT working shows it as having first and standard class seating!

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
No. Was a special one off event using the only spare stock. There was also an additional 442 which ran as well. Sure the 442 was the GatEx service where as the 455 were supposed to be a special Southern service.

455 were used as few 377 got damaged on the East Grinstead line. Case of have cleared stock and drivers who sign it all so why not run them? People need trains home.

People at GTR get fired for using that logic - they are not exactly well known for caring about customers and getting them home. <D

I am surprised they didn't take the view it will ruin our diagramming / maintenence schedule like they do in other areas of the GTR franchiese.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
It'll be happening a lot more soon. The empties for the weekday 0530 Redhill-Victoria service will be berthed at Three Bridges if all goes to plan, so that the Platform 0 project can proceed at Redhill itself. That stock will run empties to Redhill then start in service there.

On which subject I note that channel cutting has started on platform 3 along the ex-GPO bay side, presumably as a precursor to fencing being erected to allow the bay to be removed.

trainmania100

Established Member
Im pretty sure one came down in 2014? I was on an MPV at the time but saw one arriving into Brighton.
If the points jam at lovers walk a little more often, we might see a few more XD

Class455

Established Member
I saw 455 841 and 455 835 speed past Clapham Junction at about 13:16 today. Not sure where it was going as it wasn't on Realtime Trains and I thought "could this potentially be heading to Brighton"? I also saw a tweet earlier saying that there was no 455 scheduled to Brighton, but the guy who was manning the Southern twitter said "However, that may change later", so keep your eyes peeled.

But just now I looked and the 455's were actually doing the late running 2P53 to Selhurst Depot.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Im pretty sure one came down in 2014? I was on an MPV at the time but saw one arriving into Brighton.
If the points jam at lovers walk a little more often, we might see a few more XD

The 455/456 to Brighton happened in December 2013 though, so nearly 2014:) . I also hope this happens more often so more 455's can be seen in Brighton ;)

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
I wonder what the "normal" passenger thought? A trian is better than no train, but a toiletless 455 for the avarage passenger will be a reduction in quality

I guess they are used to the 2+3 seats on other units on the lines.

Class377/5

Established Member
Folks, advised it's likely to run again today with the same times.

Update:

Will run the following

2Z45 18.44 Victoria to Brighton
Calling at Clapham Junction, East Croydon, Gatwick, Three Bridges, Haywards Heath and Brighton

2Z01 20.05 Brighton to Victoria
Calling at East Croydon and Victoria

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
Folks, advised it's likely to run again today with the same times.

Update:

Will run the following

2Z45 18.44 Victoria to Brighton
Calling at Clapham Junction, East Croydon, Gatwick, Three Bridges, Haywards Heath and Brighton

2Z01 20.05 Brighton to Victoria
Calling at East Croydon and Victoria

Beat me to it! Looks like they're getting some 455s out of Stewarts Lane especially for it, the railway murmurs having told me that nothing else can be reliably found...

trainmania100

Established Member
Stewarts Lane?
can anyone confirm this will be a 455 and not a 387 running the so called Gatwick Express service from London Vic to brighton then 2Z01 BTN to VIC?
Many thanks - gonna try and make it this time as had no notice yesterday lol

Status
Not open for further replies.