• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 455 with AC Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardW

I gather from Modern Railways (page 7 of the Supplement in the August issue) that both AC motored 455s have completed final acceptance tests. Given that would have been written a few weeks ago can someone confirm if they are now in service please or if not the current state of the project please?

Many thanks

RichardW

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Feathers44

I gather from Modern Railways (page 7 of the Supplement in the August issue) that both AC motored 455s have completed final acceptance tests. Given that would have been written a few weeks ago can someone confirm if they are now in service please or if not the current state of the project please?

There's already a thread on this floating around somewhere but I can't say that I've seen it updated in the last few weeks. I'd be interested to hear the current status although mybe I should just listen out for something different passing the house.

Deepgreen

Established Member
There's already a thread on this floating around somewhere but I can't say that I've seen it updated in the last few weeks. I'd be interested to hear the current status although mybe I should just listen out for something different passing the house.

The current status is AC - sorry, couldn't resist(or)!

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

The last thread I found was as a result of a blog post on the subject by Paul Bigland here, which reflected the intention to test with two completed units during July:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=116093&highlight=conversion

Last edited:

Bigfoot

As the other thread is now locked, these are out for mileage accumulation next week. Monday to Friday. 2nd-6th Nov.

5Z46 10+12 Bournemouth depot to Branksome 10+16
5Z46 10+22 Branksome to Southampton Central 11+07
5Z47 11+15 Southampton Central to Bournemouth 11+48
5Z48 12+27 Bournemouth to Southampton Central 13+07
5Z49 13+15 Southampton Central to Bournemouth 13+48
5Z50 14+27 Bournemouth to Southampton Central 15+07
5Z51 16+04 Southampton Central to Branksome 16+39
5Z51 16+44 Branksome to Bournemouth Depot 16+48

I believe it will be a 4 car alone. Around the 850-900 miles mark in a week. I wonder how many it requires to be passed?

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I believe it will be a 4 car alone. Around the 850-900 miles mark in a week. I wonder how many it requires to be passed?

A couple of thousand? Presumably it is 'traction only' mileage accumulation, so they won't need to be testing stuff like door operation.

People often quote a certain fixed required mileage, but in my recollection it seems to vary contract by contract.

PS - Is there any confirmation yet of where the series production will be done?

It was quoted as 'Eastleigh Depot' somewhere or other, but then IIRC someone had replied saying it was definitely not going to be at Eastleigh Works (Arlington).

Last edited:

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
They should start doing them in January or early February next year at Wimbledon or Eastleigh (possibly Bomo), don't know which as yet.

Drivers will more than likely need to have a traction conversion course as everything will change underneath the motor coach & there'll be no shoe fuses anymore they'll be HSCBs instead.

No room at Bournemouth as 456/458 will be due C4......

Not room in Wimbledon for the two at a time.

Eastleigh I thought was set in stone

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Let's hope they do a better job that a certain nameless refurber!

I mean it's so helpful when they wire up a jumper cable incorrectly, so that when you couple up & pop the jumper and pipes up and then try to go away all it does is shake because one unit is trying to go forwards & the other reverse!

Ciderking

The work is being done at Eastleigh TRSMD I believe. New Vossloh Kiepe signs on the entrances of the depot.

Nym

Established Member
The work is being done at Eastleigh TRSMD I believe. New Vossloh Kiepe signs on the entrances of the depot.

The sparkies at Vossloh do seem to know what they're doing, and care quite a bit about getting it right, so there IMO is a lower risk of getting wires crossed (or not crossed when they should be...)

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
No room at Bournemouth as 456/458 will be due C4......

Not room in Wimbledon for the two at a time.

Eastleigh I thought was set in stone

Does Bournemouth handle all C4 exams for SWT stock or is it just for 456s and 458s

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I know the unit numbers of the converted units and if they give me one of them, then they'll be looking for another driver, as I've not been trained on these yet.

Now you may say they're a 455, however there's now new equipment on board, equipment that I know nothing about, so should a problem arise which needs manual intervention then I wouldn't know what to do to resolve it. So if you're not going to teach me how to do those essential things, sorry, I'm not prepared to work that train.

I know the unit numbers of the converted units and if they give me one of them, then they'll be looking for another driver, as I've not been trained on these yet.

Now you may say they're a 455, however there's now new equipment on board, equipment that I know nothing about, so should a problem arise which needs manual intervention then I wouldn't know what to do to resolve it. So if you're not going to teach me how to do those essential things, sorry, I'm not prepared to work that train.

Not like you would ever recalibrate the CLR or NVR or need to unseize the camshaft by the side of the track. Or change a motor brush.

Still the same overload reset button and driver controls aren't they.....

Deepgreen

Established Member
Not like you would ever recalibrate the CLR or NVR or need to unseize the camshaft by the side of the track. Or change a motor brush.

Has SWT issued any advice/instructions to their drivers regarding the re-tractioned units? Has anything been disseminated at all within the company about the project?

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Has SWT issued any advice/instructions to their drivers regarding the re-tractioned units? Has anything been disseminated at all within the company about the project?

If it has I've not been issued with it. So like I said unless I'm taught about it, I don't touch it. It's a bit like asking me to work a 458/5, the answer is NO, I was trained on 458/0, but now there's a whole extra coach and alterations to the trains formation, it's considered a different traction type, so I don't touch it.

Deepgreen

Established Member
If it has I've not been issued with it. So like I said unless I'm taught about it, I don't touch it. It's a bit like asking me to work a 458/5, the answer is NO, I was trained on 458/0, but now there's a whole extra coach and alterations to the trains formation, it's considered a different traction type, so I don't touch it.

While I completely take the point about the 458/5s, is the 455 example really a different 'traction' type as far as drivers are concerned? The controls, etc., remain the same, the formation remains the same and the duties/knowledge required of the driver remain the same (unless I have overlooked something?). I would imagine that a significant change to any of these would have put them into a different sub-class, as with the 458s. Is it not the case that the technical changes are for the maintenance/fitter functions to be concerned with, rather than the driver?

If I am wrong and have missed something here, I'll be happy to be corrected.

It would be interesting to know if other SWT drivers have had special training to operate the AC 455s.

bramling

Veteran Member

The issue is one doesn't know what one doesn't know.

If there's no change as far as the driver and operation of the train is concerned, there should be a circular to that effect. I'd have thought dynamic braking and loss of camshafts would affect the way the driver drives the train, if nothing else.

Deepgreen

Established Member

If there's no change as far as the driver and operation of the train is concerned, there should be a circular to that effect. I'd have thought dynamic braking and loss of camshafts would affect the way the driver drives the train, if nothing else.

Which is why I asked if anything had been circulated to SWT's 455 drivers. If nothing has been generally disseminated, have some drivers been individually-trained/informed to allow them to drive the converted units?

Last edited:

notadriver

Established Member

If it was me I would have liked a briefing on the new units and what to expect and any new equipment / switches that might concern me but that would be enough.

If it was me I would have liked a briefing on the new units and what to expect and any new equipment / switches that might concern me but that would be enough.

Taking advantage of a week off, I rode 5870 today. When I got to Waterloo there were babysitters obviously explaining the different nuances to the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.