• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 455 with AC Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emblematic

The 455 retractioning project is now complete! Saw 455 913 at Kingston today and it now has Vossloh traction motors. Wonder if the rest will now have to return for mods to stop them exploding.

Just a technical point, the traction motors are from TSA (Traktionssysteme Austria) with Vossloh supplying the traction package and design, and they manage the overall conversion project. Same with the 321 conversion. AFAIK Vossloh don't have a capability to manufacture motors, they always buy in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class455

Established Member
It's not complete. 5864 will be the last unit done, AFAIK it is still in traffic at the moment with DC motors.

Have not seen it recently. It was mentioned previously that 5913 was scheduled to be the last one to be completed due to the ex Class 210 trailer requiring more work. Has this changed?

Bigfoot

Having looked underneath 5913 and compared it to other 455s I'd say it wasn't as difficult job to convert to ac as was implied. There were probably minor differences but nothing that couldn't be easily overcome. Probably just needed some different shaped mounting brackets/bolt hole locations. I think the main reason was that it was so new, so why convert something that wasn't yet worn out, keep it in service for the miles, ie cost effectiveness.

TEW

Established Member
Have not seen it recently. It was mentioned previously that 5913 was scheduled to be the last one to be completed due to the ex Class 210 trailer requiring more work. Has this changed?

It has changed. 5864 is the last to be done now. I have seen it in service recently, certainly after 5913 went. I'm not sure if it has gone now though.

TEW

Established Member
I can confirm 5864 is in traffic today. Currently working 2G52, 1637 Guildford-London Waterloo.

Class455

Established Member
5864 seen at Clapham Junction still with DC motors. I need to try and get this unit this week. I hope it appears on the Strawberry Hill loop or Shepperton line.

8J

Does anybody know if 5864 is still running about with DC motors? Rumour I heard was that it's conversion had been delayed indefinitely...

TEW

Established Member
Does anybody know if 5864 is still running about with DC motors? Rumour I heard was that it's conversion had been delayed indefinitely...
It is, I had heard it was going to be done in November. Easy to spot as it is the only 455 with SWR branding.

Bigfoot

5864 running around today with South Western Railway branding today now applied in a not quite matching 455 red... Camshaft still swinging underneath.

Class455

Established Member
Haven't seen 455 864 in a while. Has it now gone for retractioning?

8J

Still no sightings of 5864... That seems an awfully long time for it to be gone for retractioning

Class455

Established Member
Still no sightings of 5864... That seems an awfully long time for it to be gone for retractioning
It was reported to be at Wimbledon Park Depot a few days ago according to TOPS

TEW

Established Member
Not heard anything about 5864 I'm afraid, I haven't seen it out and about either.

8J

5864 in service today - seen on the 11:41 Shepperton to Waterloo with AC traction equipment fitted.

brel york

Let's hope they do a better job that a certain nameless refurber!

I mean it's so helpful when they wire up a jumper cable incorrectly, so that when you couple up & pop the jumper and pipes up and then try to go away all it does is shake because one unit is trying to go forwards & the other reverse!
Was that wabtec lol , they did that on a Tyne and Wear unit both pulling wrong way

Class455

Established Member
5864 in service today - seen on the 11:41 Shepperton to Waterloo with AC traction equipment fitted.
Saw it today at Clapham Junction with shiny new AC motors, as well as keep the guard on the train stickers on its front end! The 455 retractioning programme is finally complete.

D7666

the SW 455 retraction maybe complete

455 retraction is not complete

--
Nick

Domh245

Established Member
RAIB report into the Guildford explosion has been released. Quoting the interesting bit:

The explosion was caused by an accumulation of flammable gases within the traction equipment case under one of the coaches of the train. The gases had been generated following a failure within a large electrical capacitor located within the equipment case. The capacitor failure was caused by a manufacturing defect.

The traction equipment on this train had been recently retrofitted, replacing older equipment with a modern version. The failed capacitor was part of this replacement equipment. The design and installation of this new equipment was managed by a project team which had not adequately considered the risk of explosion caused by a capacitor with a manufacturing defect. Consequently, the train did not have any engineering safeguards to prevent such an explosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.