• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 458 Juniper railtour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubeboy

As above.

http://www.ukrailtours.com/tourshow...trains&tourfile=150523_THE_JUNIPER_FACTOR.txt

From Waterloo we travel via Hampton Court Junction and the Guildford 'New Line' through Effingham Junction to Guildford. Then it's down to Haslemere (that's as far as they are allowed!) for a quick photo stop then back through Guildford and via Ash to Aldershot. After reversals here and at Woking we're out on the main line, for a last opportunity to enjoy the units at speed.
There will be brief photo stops at Basingstoke and at Brockenhurst in the New Forest. After a break of around at hour at Poole we enjoy a last run back up the main line and from Wimbledon we take a brief detour via East Putney and Point Pleasant Junction before arrival at the former Waterloo International Terminal.
Because of the nature of the interior layout seat reservations are not practical but we will leave a proportion of seats vacant to improve comfort. We will however reserve seating areas of ten seats for use by booked parties of eight Standard Class passengers. Light refreshments will be available.
WE ARE SORRY BUT FIRST CLASS IS ALREADY FULLY BOOKED.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
If I remember when it was mentioned in their last newsletter it would be a 458 over lines not normally used by them, giving Poole & Portsmouth as examples.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm actually now very interested in this one, just seen the ching and a bit of track that's a ginormous pain in the rear to do otherwise. When I get back to work on Tuesday I'll be putting in a holiday request form for the relevant dates then look up a hotel and fares!

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Indeed I'm aiming for thos one, should be a laugh too and at £30 which includes a partial free ride there and back thanks to the ticket deal, even better!

455driver

Veteran Member
I'm actually now very interested in this one, just seen the ching and a bit of track that's a ginormous pain in the rear to do otherwise. When I get back to work on Tuesday I'll be putting in a holiday request form for the relevant dates then look up a hotel and fares!

If you mean the East Putney line I did it 12 times in a weekend!:lol:

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I think I'll pass on this. I had enough issues with 458s in the past.

I find it strange that they say that they're not allowed beyond Haslemere, when in fact they've just been cleared all the way to Portsmouth & around the Eastleigh - Fareham - St Denys' triangle of doom!

455driver

Veteran Member
Well it's different if you're a driver (I wasnt at the time), or if you live in the area! (wrong again! ;)):

Not wanting to count how many times I went for it and it didn't produce!
Been there, done that (on other routes)! ;) :lol:

Oh I was a guard at the time ;) and was piloted over it all 12 times, I asked my Manager if I could use it as route learning and he said yes as long as I got all the necessary paperwork filled in, the end result was I was one of two guards at my depot who signed it! :D

James Wake

I've booked onto this, aiming to be in the front coach upon departure from Waterloo to get the most time possible at the front (where I always try and travel on a passenger train), which for me works out to be:
Waterloo-Haslemere
Aldershot-Woking
Poole to Waterloo via East Putney

Not sure if people will end up carriage hopping at termini.

Rather than:
Haslemere-Aldershot
Woking-Poole
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Although when I did the c2c railtour in 2011, people stayed in their seats all the time, so I am hoping that won't be a worry.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Are they doing the "free connecting travel on SWT" again (similar to the 159 tours?)

Supposedly yes, I've read a post elsewhere of someone suggesting booking the tour but not actually going on it just for a cheap ride to/from London from Weymouth or something (that post didn't go down too well!)

cambsy

On Moderation
Have just booked on the Juniper Railtour,paying 1st of April, should be good day out, see other members on it.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Hopefully I will get the front seat,doubt it though.:)

I'd need a pilotman in places but not many..

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
On the day will it show on RTT as one long journey or will it appear as a series of journeys?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Most likely as multiple journeys I'd say.

I see it's fully booked, never got the chance to book the time off so I won't be present. Never mind, I'm sure other opportunities will come up to get that track at Point Pleasant in!

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Most likely as multiple journeys I'd say.

I see it's fully booked, never got the chance to book the time off so I won't be present. Never mind, I'm sure other opportunities will come up to get that track at Point Pleasant in!

Already! :(

Was waiting for next payday to book that, never mind. Unless they do something like the Javelin tours (a repeat run) I'll book the Class 73 tour instead

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I like the look of the 73 tour for the MHR but the track bash up north in August looks far more interesting. THAT one is a proper tour in my book, one that ticks all the boxes. Non-passenger locos, tons of non-passenger and unusual routes and a proper full day! £79.50 I think in Standard but well worth it.

May post a new thread for discussion of that one later.

Any chance one could be run that won't be full of absolutely colossally awful frothing veg? Personally, I know some people are interested in this kind of thing, I couldn't imagine a worse way to spend my day/money

STANDISH

Give UK Rail tours a ring, you might even speak to John Farrow the boss ,who sometimes picks up the phone :) or you can e-mail them.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Give UK Rail tours a ring, you might even speak to John Farrow the boss ,who sometimes picks up the phone :) or you can e-mail them.

emailed them.

[ot]
I wish there was a search website that covered every preserved and miniature and narrow gauge railway and every rail tour (diesel, electric of steam), railway museum, model railway exhibition and model railway shop.
[/ot]

Kite159

Veteran Member
I like the look of the 73 tour for the MHR but the track bash up north in August looks far more interesting. THAT one is a proper tour in my book, one that ticks all the boxes. Non-passenger locos, tons of non-passenger and unusual routes and a proper full day! £79.50 I think in Standard but well worth it.

May post a new thread for discussion of that one later.

I saw both, will probably check my calendar and book this weekend. A shame they can't do the 'MOD' line to ludgershall even to the gates to the rail yard (which I would imagine will close soon as the camp land has been sold for housing)

STANDISH

I suspect that Mr Farrow and Mr Watts, would do rail tours to Ludgershall if the line were to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.