• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

class 458 Software failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobShipway

Established Member
This morning at Feltham there was a failure of a class 458, which was the 0647 arrival at Martins Heron, which I guess must have left London Waterloo at about 05:45. The software failure was caused by a passenger pulling the Emergency Switch twice which totally disabled the train for over an hour.

The next train at Martins Heron which was the 07:17, which would have left Waterloo at 06:12 was terminated at Ascot.

The next service to Reading was the 07:47.

I would not have minded, if was not for the fact that I needed to be at Portsmouth Harbour station at 09:30am to catch a ferry over to the Isle of Wight which I had booked, which left at 10:15.

I ended up having to get the 07:35 to London Waterloo and change at Ascot for the service to Guildford instead of being able to go the more and quicker direct route via Wokingham. This meant that I got to Portsmouth Harbour station at 10:08 and by the time and got down to the checkin desk for the Wighlink ferry I had missed my boat. I got a partial refund on my ticket as I managed to prove that the delay in being able to get the ferry was not my fault, but I am still out of pocket by £6 from a £16 fare.

I spent the rest of the day wondering around Gunwharf Quay in Portsmouth, as I would have had to pay more than the £16 I had been charged via the Wightlink website to go over for the day.

But, this makes me thonk as to how many other train fleets have this kind of issue when the Emergency handle is pulled twice or is it something that is particular to the class 458's?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455/8

I've not heard of this happening before? the handles on the 458's be it a passenger communication appliance (PASSCOM) or an Egress handle when pulled lock into position so they cannot be pushed back and repulled untill they are reset by a member of train crew. If two handles are pulled on different parts of the train then the onboard computer flashes up to the Driver where they are pulled. as I said I can't say I've ever see or heard of this problem happening before.

RobShipway

Established Member
I've not heard of this happening before? the handles on the 458's be it a passenger communication appliance (PASSCOM) or an Egress handle when pulled lock into position so they cannot be pushed back and repulled untill they are reset by a member of train crew. If two handles are pulled on different parts of the train then the onboard computer flashes up to the Driver where they are pulled. as I said I can't say I've ever see or heard of this problem happening before.

Okay, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.