• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 465 accessibility improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on a 465/9 (I think it was 909) today that has had a new "circular" accessible toilet installed, similar to those on the 375s, plus a slightly changed seating arrangement to accommodate the new cubicle. There were also some other limited changes such as vinyl flashes on the internal connecting doors.

This was a surprise as I wasn't aware these had been planned, and assumed if they had been that they would have happened during the recent re-livery exercise. Can anyone advise when this is being rolled out, and the extent of the changes - if indeed it extends to more than those described above?

Apologies - just a short trip to Waterloo East so I didn't think to get any photos before it was too late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotGG

Established Member
I would be interested to know more about the program as well. It was announced when the franchise was extended 4 years.

Like yourself I wondered why it wasn't done when trains were going away for painting. That took about 3 years. At 25 years old it would have made sense to give them a proper refurb, do toilet work and also painting at the same time.

Does the new toilet reduce overall capacity? SE really don't need that at the moment.

Brian Aylott

I would be interested to know more about the program as well. It was announced when the franchise was extended 4 years.

Like yourself I wondered why it wasn't done when trains were going away for painting. That took about 3 years. At 25 years old it would have made sense to give them a proper refurb, do toilet work and also painting at the same time.

Does the new toilet reduce overall capacity? SE really don't need that at the moment.

Away for painting?
Over the past 6 years or so Evershotl's 465s have been getting their major C6 overhauls - and a repaint
This program has nearly been completed at Wabtec Doncaster and now the program has started to make the units compatible so that they can operate from 1/1//2020
This includes the fitting of 'universal' toilets
As with all the units and LHCS that are to remain in service from 1/1/2020 that don't already meet the requirements they will have to be modified in the next 4 years
465909 is one of the last through the C6 program and the first to be modified with the required toilet etc
Brian

BestWestern

Established Member

Yes, it will reduce the seating; probably significantly. The toilet modules are very large and require a sizeable chunk of the carriage.

387star

On Moderation
Away for painting?
Over the past 6 years or so Evershotl's 465s have been getting their major C6 overhauls - and a repaint
This program has nearly been completed at Wabtec Doncaster and now the program has started to make the units compatible so that they can operate from 1/1//2020
As with all the units and LHCS that are to remain in service from 1/1/2020 that don't already meet the requirements they will have to be modified in the next 4 years
465909 is one of the last through the C6 program and the first to be modified with the required toilet etc
Brian

Longest refurbishment ever?

Look at this post back in 2010...

Wabtec Rail Limited has been awarded the contract by Angel Trains for the C6 overhaul of their Class 456 and 466 EMU’s and the C4 overhaul of their Class 466 EMU’s. The units are currently leased from Angel Trains by London South Eastern Railway (Southeastern).

There are 50 x 4 car Class 465 units to undergo C6 overhaul and 43 x 2 car Class 466 units to undergo both C4 and C6 overhaul. The first unit is due on works in March 2010 and the last unit is expected to be completed by the end of 2014.

The overhauls will be carried out in Wabtec Rail’s Heavy Shop and will be Project Managed by Mark Kynman who successfully managed the recently completed project for the refurbishment of the NXEC HST Trailer Cars.

This contract builds upon the already strong and successful relationship between Wabtec Rail and Angel Trains.

I assume it was mainly mechanical as aside from a livery which took forever to finalize (see southern electric group) there was little if any interior change

Clearly it ran a year behind schedule as well

Last edited:

ScotGG

Established Member
Yes, it will reduce the seating; probably significantly. The toilet modules are very large and require a sizeable chunk of the carriage.

Yep but if they have a lot more standing space, it could increase capacity? I wish they'd just make them 2x2 throughout.

On Moderation
Away for painting?
Brian
Eversholt own the York built sets (465/0 and 465/1); they were dealt with under a separate contract at Wolverton some time ago.

The GEC sets (465/2, 465/9 and 466) are Angel Trains owned and have had their C6s at Wabtec. The PRM-TSI work is for this fleet - has anything been announced for the Eversholt units?

Brian Aylott

Eversholt own the York built sets (465/0 and 465/1); they were dealt with under a separate contract at Wolverton some time ago.

The GEC sets (465/2, 465/9 and 466) are Angel Trains owned and have had their C6s at Wabtec. The PRM-TSI work is for this fleet - has anything been announced for the Eversholt units?

Correct - sorry
Brian

ScotGG

Established Member
What exactly does c6 work mean?

I've heard it a few times on here. Also, as stated above it seems unusual for such work to take so long, and is internal work normally carried out alongside?
That would appear to be more efficient. Given they have 20 years life left and need a proper internal overhaul as very tired these days, couldn't the toilet work and other alterations (ideally 2x2 seating throughout to cope with the next 20 years worth of growth and brightening up the now gloomy interiors) have been carried out alongside from 2010? If so I guess the DfT and/or the leasing companies are at fault?

millemille

I've heard it a few times on here. Also, as stated above it seems unusual for such work to take so long, and is internal work normally carried out alongside?
That would appear to be more efficient. Given they have 20 years life left and need a proper internal overhaul as very tired these days, couldn't the toilet work and other alterations (ideally 2x2 seating throughout to cope with the next 20 years worth of growth and brightening up the now gloomy interiors) have been carried out alongside from 2010? If so I guess the DfT and/or the leasing companies are at fault?

C4's are generally overhaul of bogies and running gear. C6's are generally overhaul of other major components and may include cosmetic refresh and a repaint but exact content will depend on the lease agreement and franchise agreements between TOC and ROSCO and commitments made by TOC to DfT.

465's don't have 20 years of life left - they are a 35 year unit and have between 11 and 13 years life left, if they are in service to the limit of their design life. But their future has always been uncertain, given their very specific and limited utilisation and limited commercial appeal. The ROSCO's have always had to work hard to keep them on lease with the imcumbent NSE operator - back in the late 90's/early 00's both ROSCO's came up with tens of millions of pounds for Connex to spend on the 465/466's in any way Connex saw fit as a sweetener to keep them on lease and prevent a replacement fleet being procured.

The exact future of the South Eastern franchise, wrt. Networker's has (and still is) somewhat uncertain; there's been talk over the years of different Networker fleets being handed back as they weren't needed/wanted due to possible stock cascades or purchases...and then was talk of 365's being converted back to DC to add more Networker's to the South Eastern franchise....and talk of TfL taking over Metro operations which wouldn't look favourably upon 25 year old unpopular and (perceived) unreliable units...plus the exact impact of Crossrail upon South Eastern...and so on and so on.

Given this, and the movable goalposts that DDA/PRM TSI has had over the years it made no sense for the ROSCO's to invest multi millions in the DC Networker fleets until they knew what was needed and that it would be a worthwhile investment, that would see a return.

Also the staggered introduction of the different DC Networker fleets into service and each fleet's different overhaul requirments (periodicity and content), plus the general planned increase in service requirements as well as specfic operational challenges such as London Bridge works, means that any program of major works (overhaul, refresh, modification etc) has to be very carefully planned and balanced to impact as little as possible upon the day-to-day running of the railway. With only ~12 units unused, out of a fleet of 190, for each week day peak - to deliver exams, defect repair, cleaning, special checks, modifications, overhauls etc - having several units out of service for overhaul or refresh or PRM TSI simultaneously is not viable.

You can't neccesarily combine significant tranches of work either, there is a limit to how many people can work simultaneously on a carriage and what work streams can be done simultaneously. If a vehicle is being painted for example, nothing else can be done at the same time. Lengthening the down time of each unit at works by only a few days can lengthen the whole program by months or years due to the large number of units in the respective fleets, irrespective of the normal overhaul/refresh program delays that invariably occur, which can cause one program to overlap with another.

So sometimes it is better to have 2 small bites of the cherry, fitting the programs in around other fixed events.

DC Networkers can't have 2+2 seating - back in the 90's one unit was converted with a variety of seating configurations across the unit (465050 or 465014 if I remember correctly). It was in service for a very brief period before it came to light that the crush laden weight with 2+2 seating exceeded the braking capability and the unit was non RGS compliant and the unit had to be withdrawn from service....and then subsequently self immolated whilst sitting unused for a prolonged period in Slade Green sidings.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

C means a 'Classified Overhaul'. C6 is an overhaul that deals primarily with bodywork, painting and interior facilities. Planned on a condition based survey, IIRC, as opposed to something like a C4 which is a basically a mileage based overhaul of the running gear.

Found a list, which fits in with my general understanding. C3 and C5 are the non-typical ones you don't hear about as much:

C3 heavy overhaul on carriages and EMUs, combining C4 cand C6 work.
C4 overhaul of wheels, bogies, brakes and couplings. Carriages and multiple Units.
C5 Main Works repairs, outside the usual overhaul sequence.
C6 overhaul of carriage body, including doors and interior repairs. May include a repaint.
C6X C6 overhaul with extra work, perhaps interior enhancements.

http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/glossary#C

millemille

Are Networkers particularly route-restricted? Couldn't they potentially be of interest to any of the Southern Region operators?

When they were introduced, and the 365's, there were a load of gauging issues which required platform edge grinding to fix, amongst other infrastructure "tweaks".

I know from first hand experience that when there were wheel lathe issues at Slade Green, back in the Connex days, 465's were sent over to Selhurst for turning and that to achieve this they had to get a concession from NR to run ECS with extra long levelling valve control rods fitted to over-inflate the secondary suspension to lift the carriages clear of the platforms on the Southern tracks and at reduced speed to make the kinematic gauge envelope smaller so there was no possibility of train/infrastructure interface...

Plus there may be signalling relay compatability issues with the GTO traction still fitted to the Angel/GEC 465 and 466's - the switching frequencies of the traction inverters has the potential to be of an order of the frequency at which track circuit reed relays operate at. NR have, in the past, been unable to say with any certainty where reed relay track circuits were in use. I believe reed relays are being, or have been, replaced as part of normal infrastructure repairs/upgrades so they might all be gone by now.

So I would suspect that they won't be a "plug and play" option for other DC routes.

As for being of interest to other DC operators, I'm not not sure what stock they could viably replace or inter-operate with given carriage/unit/platform lengths and coupler compatiability on routes operated by stock older than the 465's?

I believe that at least one ROSCO expects their Networker's to go abroad when they're done with their current operator, if they don't go for scrap.

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Could Networkers (465/466) have a pan well installed without compromising the crash structure?

On Moderation
I believe that at least one ROSCO expects their Networker's to go abroad when they're done with their current operator, if they don't go for scrap.
Go on then: where are these 750V DC third rail networks that they'd go to?

jopsuk

Veteran Member

Pretty sure other than metro systems the only major 750V network is the Long Island Rail Road. There's no chance they'd want Networkers.

Class 466

Established Member
I have uploaded some photos of the modifications here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/466cuxton/8302KL
It is of note that all the flooring has been replaced with the same design, and interior side panels repainted. With the previous light grey replaced with a much darker grey.

The 465/9s require less in the way of modification in terms of interior design, the metro units will have seat handles replace to match the 465/9s and the flooring will need to be replaced.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Longest refurbishment ever?

Look at this post back in 2010...

Wabtec Rail Limited has been awarded the contract by Angel Trains for the C6 overhaul of their Class 456 and 466 EMU’s and the C4 overhaul of their Class 466 EMU’s. The units are currently leased from Angel Trains by London South Eastern Railway (Southeastern).

There are 50 x 4 car Class 465 units to undergo C6 overhaul and 43 x 2 car Class 466 units to undergo both C4 and C6 overhaul. The first unit is due on works in March 2010 and the last unit is expected to be completed by the end of 2014.

The overhauls will be carried out in Wabtec Rail’s Heavy Shop and will be Project Managed by Mark Kynman who successfully managed the recently completed project for the refurbishment of the NXEC HST Trailer Cars.

This contract builds upon the already strong and successful relationship between Wabtec Rail and Angel Trains.

I assume it was mainly mechanical as aside from a livery which took forever to finalize (see southern electric group) there was little if any interior change

Clearly it ran a year behind schedule as well

The project has been held up by many delays, and from April 2012 until October it was put on hold to ensure the maximum number of units were available ahead of the Olympic Games. 465909 is the first modified 465 and it was taken to Doncaster in May 2015 to be returned in early November. 465934 is currently at the works being modified.

millemille

Could Networkers (465/466) have a pan well installed without compromising the crash structure?

Convert them to AC operation?

I'd say that by the time you'd done the design, V&V, certification etc as well as the structural modifications and worked out how and you're going to mount a transformer and other AC related equipment , and assuming that such a major modification allowed retention of Grandfather Rights for RGS and Euronorm/TSI non-compliance because the shells don't comply with current standards, and made everything work reliably you could have bought a whole AC fleet from scratch faster and cheaper.

And the GEC units - 465/2, 465/9 and 466 - would be very difficult to modify as there's little or no spare underframe space on the trailer vehicles in which to mount the AC kit as you've got a compresor, CET and aux converter on each and every trailer.

And would a 75mph AC fleet be of any use to anyone?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I don't believe I said the expectation was they were going abroad to operate on DC did I?

Last edited:

millemille

You might want to elaborate on that latter posting. It seems to contradict with your response to SpacePhoenix.

No contradiction.

A Foriegn country with less restrictive regulatory, maintenance and operating requirements and cheaper labour costs and significant cultural differences can make a proposal that is unfeasable in the UK feasable....

387star

On Moderation
What's the status on 465906/908?

I have them still in Connex South Eastern livery though 906 I think had the incorrect livery applied with full length yellow doors

Class 466

Established Member
What's the status on 465906/908?

I have them still in Connex South Eastern livery though 906 I think had the incorrect livery applied with full length yellow doors

465908 is still running in ex Connex livery and will be unit 3 of the modifications project. 465906 will then follow as unit 4.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Do the networkers have any sort of "power bus", if they do, could some intermediate coaches from 465s be inserted into 365s without compromising performance too much?

D365

Veteran Member
Do the networkers have any sort of "power bus", if they do, could some intermediate coaches from 465s be inserted into 365s without compromising performance too much?

Yes, most modern suburban EMUs use a 750V DC power line. No. What would be the point?

millemille

Class 465 bodyshells are not identical to 365 shells, they would require modification to improve crash worthiness in order to allow 100mph running, so not simply a matter of adding an extra vehicle to a 365 formation. Then you've got to consider fatigue life and the impracticality of adding shells with about 10 years, or less, fatigue life remaining to units with at least 5 years more fatigue life remaining.

What the impact upon performance would be on adding ~20 tons of extra weight and 4 unpowered axles is uncertain. 365's running on the GN with a traction pack isolated used to be able to maintain timings, whether the timetable is so generous now and in the future would be the issue.

Platform lengths, monitor and camera siting, despatch procedures etc would all need to be considered and addressed.

But as DAB_move asks "What would be the point?"

Mikey C

Established Member
I'd be amazed if the Networkers don't see out their life operating the current routes for which they do a perfectly decent job, especially when it's not as if there's anywhere obvious to cascade them to.
Indeed, the one true Network Southeast EMU!

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
I'd be inclined to agree (though the 455s will surely need replacing sooner or later).

I was surprised to hear SE were putting in a bid for some of the spare 319s though - surely they'd be better off leasing ~30 more Electrostars and putting the hateful 465/9s back into the general Networker pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.