• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 465 coastal services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bromley boy

Established Member
I've noticed increasingly 465s are used in place of 375s on services from Victoria to Dover Priory. Out of interest, have these units been re-geared for a higher top speed than the usual 75mph? Presumably they have otherwise this would cause time tabling difficulties?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
I don't think any units have been re-geared. Perhaps there is enough slack in the paths to absorb the speed difference? Do 465s have better acceleration than 375s to compensate?

D365

Veteran Member
According to the Eversholt Rail 'Data Sheets', maximum acceleration for Class 465 is 0.98ms^2, whereas fully laden acceleration for Class 375 is 0.64ms^2.

ScotGG

Established Member
Seems ridiculous to use 465 for these long routes. The sooner southeastern get more trains to run the Victoria routes, then use freed-up networkers lengthening metro routes, the better.

I suppose they can be used as these routes slowed down so much to encourage people on HS1 (which is now full a lot of the time!) ?

Esker-pades

Established Member
I don't think any units have been re-geared. Perhaps there is enough slack in the paths to absorb the speed difference? Do 465s have better acceleration than 375s to compensate?

I thought the 465/9's could get to 90mph.

I also saw them on a Charing Cross to Folkestone rush hour run yesterday.

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Would SouthEastern be better off ordering some Desiro Cites (or an equivalent), and then having an internal cascade to some strengthen services?

Southern Dvr

Southeastern did I believe request to DfT that they be allowed to keep some Class 319s. Presumably this would allow the cascade to strengthen services.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
75 max. Much faster and a bit of telemetry fires off and the inevitable meeting without tea and biscuits will follow.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Thanks for the responses.

The reason I asked the question was that I recall reading, around the time the "networker express" units were created, that the selected units would be regeared to 90mph for timetabling purposes as well as having first class added etc.

Interesting that this has not been done. As others have said I wonder whether it's a combination of better acceleration offsetting the top speed deficit (how much 75mph+ running do 375s really achieve, particularly on semi-fast services?) and lots of slack in the timetable following introduction of the javelin services.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, I understand 465s can be coupled with class 365s (100mph) and have a similar power output. Presumably regearing 465s to 90 or 100mph would be theoretically possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.