• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 47 and Mk 1 coaches in Haymarket depot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
I passed Haymarket Depot on Thursday morning and spotted a 47 and two coaches. The coaches were painted in BR Rail Blue, if not a paler colour, and had the windows plated over. They looked like mk 1s, but could have been something else. I'm wondering if it ties in with this movement?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K01472/2019/08/15/advanced

Seeing a 47 in Haymarket depot is quite rare. I'm used to the ever changing of 'Classic' and Scotrail liveried HST coaches and power cars, but locos are a real rarity these days.

I've seen these referred to as 'barrier coaches' online, used as a sort of coupling adapter. Why would two be required, and what sort of stock was the 47 required to shift?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
and what sort of stock was the 47 required to shift?

Really sorry that I can only help with this tiny bit, but Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doncaster_Works) says the following about the Wabtec aspect of the site, which ties in with your RTT link:
Wikipedia.org said:
Wabtec Rail continues to conduct passenger fleet refurbishment at the Doncaster site.
If the 47 was required to move some stock, it would have been some sort of passenger unit, probably either moving from one depot to another or maybe even new units.

Sorry I can't help with more,

-Peter

randyrippley

Established Member
sound like a pair of HST barrier coaches coupled back to back
aren't WABTEC doing the refurbs on the HST fleet?

was this a refurbed rake moving to Scotland?

Peter C

Established Member
sound like a pair of HST barrier coaches coupled back to back
aren't WABTEC doing the refurbs on the HST fleet?
A very good suggestion - Wabtec are doing the refurbs for the HSTs I think, and barriers would link in with this.

-Peter

On Moderation
I passed Haymarket Depot on Thursday morning and spotted a 47 and two coaches. The coaches were painted in BR Rail Blue, if not a paler colour, and had the windows plated over. They looked like mk 1s, but could have been something else. I'm wondering if it ties in with this movement?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K01472/2019/08/15/advanced

Seeing a 47 in Haymarket depot is quite rare. I'm used to the ever changing of 'Classic' and Scotrail liveried HST coaches and power cars, but locos are a real rarity these days.

I've seen these referred to as 'barrier coaches' online, used as a sort of coupling adapter. Why would two be required, and what sort of stock was the 47 required to shift?
Your observation of the service it was to work is correct - it was moving ScotRail HST stock to Wabtec, Doncaster for overhaul. You need a barrier at each end in case the train needs rescue from behind. HST stock has fixed buckeye couplers (technically described as Alliance couplers) and there are very few locos that can couple directly to them.

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
Your observation of the service it was to work is correct - it was moving ScotRail HST stock to Wabtec, Doncaster for overhaul. You need a barrier at each end in case the train needs rescue from behind. HST stock has fixed buckeye couplers (technically described as Alliance couplers) and there are very few locos that can couple directly to them.

So the 47 would be taking some of the 'classic' coaches down to Wabtec for refurbishment! This makes sense, many thanks for lifting the mystery for me.

The barrier coaches weren't coupled together. One was coupled behind the 47 and the other was sitting in a different siding. I'm assuming, based on your post, that the barrier coaches would be used to sandwich a rake of 'classic' Mk3s, and that I just happened to see them before this cavalcade was created.

Daft question perhaps, but why not use a pair of Class 43s (refurbished or classic) to take the coaches instead?

randyrippley

Established Member
So the 47 would be taking some of the 'classic' coaches down to Wabtec for refurbishment! This makes sense, many thanks for lifting the mystery for me.

The barrier coaches weren't coupled together. One was coupled behind the 47 and the other was sitting in a different siding. I'm assuming, based on your post, that the barrier coaches would be used to sandwich a rake of 'classic' Mk3s, and that I just happened to see them before this cavalcade was created.

Daft question perhaps, but why not use a pair of Class 43s (refurbished or classic) to take the coaches instead?

Presumably the 43s are needed in service, and Wabtec would have got someone to ferry the stock on the cheapest contract. Whose 47 was it?

The GWR 2+4 set that emerged in the week was a full set, Inc power cars.
I imagine though that the power cars have to simply sit around for the duration of the stocks visit. Power cars which could be better used elsewhere perhaps.
ScotRail have 16 (I think) HST sets for 15 diagrams (as of start of play tomorrow - 19th Aug) so I guess the additional pair of power cars is more of a safety net for putting out a full timetable while the spare set is at Webtec (if indeed thier referb work is still happening, which I think it is?).

ExRes

Established Member
Presumably the 43s are needed in service, and Wabtec would have got someone to ferry the stock on the cheapest contract. Whose 47 was it?

There's a photo on WNXX of 47813 and 2 barrier coaches on their way from Leicester to Haymarket on wednesday, highly likely that they are the candidates

ExRes

Established Member
Photos on flickr of the southbound working including after the 47 failed.
https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=47813 haymarket

Thanks for the picture link

I'm often rather surprised that 'veteran' traction is allowed out on solo runs like this, for all I know failures may well be no higher than with more modern traction but I would have thought double heading would be far safer, I wonder if ROG made any profit once the Freightliner breakdown recovery bill was paid

Status
Not open for further replies.