• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 47 on WCML

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth Hale

Hi all, on Friday I saw a Class 47 + 5MK1 Maroon Coaches on the WCML moving south at a high speed, I was on the A74(M) when I saw it, about 50 miles N of Carlisle, does anybody know what this train was doing? I could not get any ID for it because I was on the A74(M) and it was on a bridge in the distance. The 47 was plain blue, no logo's on it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Either an unbranded DRS 47 (not too likely) or 47839 at a pure guess.

I would also suggest it to be an ECS movement for a tour on Saturday, but I don't really know.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Joe H said:
So? The point of a training run is to gain route knowledge, not to see if a loco is passed for the route..... And as the 47s are in the standby pool, they are locos available for work like this...
And at no point in this thread did anybody specifcally mention that it was a route learning run, 'driver training run' could just as easily be referring to traction learning as route learning.

Established Member
Its not route learning...DRS have plenty of trains over Shap

My understanding it is training for Class 1 duties in lieu of the mentioned fortcoming charter work.

Established Member
Presume the duff is spare

And a more suitable engine for getting paths between the silver rubbish

Status
Not open for further replies.