• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 47 working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humberside

Accoding to The Railway Centre 47703 was due to move 47635/47727 from Wembley to Eastleigh today.

Correct me if Im wrong but 47703 is Cotswold Rail and 47635/47727 is EWS so what was the reason for this move and why are EWS using a Cotswold Rail Loco?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Julian G

Established Member
Accoding to The Railway Centre 47703 was due to move 47635/47727 from Wembley to Eastleigh today.

Correct me if Im wrong but 47703 is Cotswold Rail and 47635/47727 is EWS so what was the reason for this move and why are EWS using a Cotswold Rail Loco?

47635/47727 is moved to Eastleigh for SECO Rail

Julian G

Established Member
Quotes from Wnxx Forum

"Guess this is where they will be returned to traffic and painted into Seco Rails House Colours. (Same as 58026 - Orange & Yellow)

There is talk that they are looking at a Top n Tail formation for their new ballast cleaner. Whether that is what the 47s are intended for remains to be seen."

"The proposed use of Locos by Seco Rail on the Ballast Cleaner may require a number of modifications to be undertaken to the Locos

The proposed operation would be formed Loco, Ballast Cleaner, Loco
which would run under the power of the locos into an engineering possession. Once on site the Locos will be shut down and unmanned.
However they would remain coupled to the ballast cleaner.

Once the Machine starts work the ballast cleaner will self propel whilst
dragging the dead Top n tail locos at the same time.

This currently happed with the FL 66s on the First Engineering operation but the diffrence there is that the 66s are crewed at all times.

There could be some major economies here in respect that ballast cleaner
operators may double as the Locos traincrew.

This would also eliminate the reliance on current external loco/traincrew providers.

As I said before the 2 47s have not been confirmed for this role but I believe it is quite likely."

1VWC

They are at Eastleigh Works (or what was) for further storage only...

westcoaster

Established Member
yep thats the oil stained hst, strange never normailly see them heading up the wcml, i suppose it then went down the marston valeline and up the mml.

Status
Not open for further replies.