• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris125

Established Member
If the old trains are in such a fragile state, is it possible to 'mix and match' the trains, i.e change the trains so that one train comprising carriage A + carriage B and and another train comprising carriage C + carriage D becomes a train composed of carriages A + D? Or do the faults affect the whole train?

I think it's usually easier to swap parts between units than entire carriages, but it has been done for crash/fire damage in the past I believe?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
008 is in worse condition than 006, and that is part of the reason why 008 remains dumped in platform 3 at St Johns and 006 is in the shed being lifted.

When I was there last month for a few days, 008 was running solidly with 006 often withdrawn with issues. However, 006 both looked and sounded like it was in far better condition than 008.

Journeyman

Established Member
If the old trains are in such a fragile state, is it possible to 'mix and match' the trains, i.e change the trains so that one train comprising carriage A + carriage B and and another train comprising carriage C + carriage D becomes a train composed of carriages A + D? Or do the faults affect the whole train?

It very much depends what the fault is. A lot of equipment is duplicated on each car, but some isn't - there's only compressors on the south facing cars, and only inverters on north-facing ones. If you have a compressor fault, for example, and no other compressor fitted car in working order, you're a bit screwed.

spark001uk

Established Member
Have any of the units just got traction motor issues? If so could always hitch a horse up! :)

Nym

Established Member
Not usually recommended as the through wiring is usually "Taken under advisement" after a few years of fleet mods and changes to "Make it Work" for service.

dgl

Established Member
Not usually recommended as the through wiring is usually "Taken under advisement" after a few years of fleet mods and changes to "Make it Work" for service.
Or supposedly in AnsaldoBreda's case on delivery.

spark001uk

Established Member
I'd love to see the repair logs for these, probably weigh more than a unit does.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Anyone got any info as to whether a unit is likely to be in (passenger) service tomorrow?

Chris125

Established Member
The facebook group below seems the best source of first-hand info, it's well worth keeping up with the comments - the current thinking is that 006 could return before 007, possibly this weekend.

spark001uk

Established Member
The facebook group below seems the best source of first-hand info, it's well worth keeping up with the comments - the current thinking is that 006 could return before 007, possibly this weekend.

+1 on that, that's where I find more up to date info, and as you say it's first hand, mainly as a lot of them are actually islanders, and I believe there's even one or two of the stock's fitters on there too. So yes, finger on the pulse right there.

Graham H

Just seen 484001 fly through Lake at a good clip on it's third(?) St Johns-Shanklin trip today, no obvious body roll or swaying as it passed. James has captured an earlier run near Swanmore:

Not yet, rest assured it won't be missed with multiple webcams on the case. There's talk of waiting for paperwork, perhaps they've not got the gauging signed off yet?
Amazed that it appears to have retained the LUL style whistle and not gained two tone horns. IOW remains quirky.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To be fair they ride well on the Marston Vale too. Ride is something LU have tended to be good at on the subsurface lines where there's room for decent suspension given the poor quality of the track.

I think they have a feel very similar to refurbed Merseyrail 50x, apart from the benefit of being able to see out of the window. (You can barely hear the engines on the DMU version).

spark001uk

Established Member
Also after the extensive trackwork is done during the closure, the ride should be significantly improved in that respect too.

Gloster

Established Member
At 15.15 today the new set was sitting on the northbound line at the south end of St Johns Road station.

Chris125

Established Member
Musical chairs at the works today, hopefully that bodes well...

_toommm_

Established Member
Just to double check, Sunday 3rd January is the last scheduled day of operation for these? I’m planning a trip down for then.

theironroad

Established Member
Just to double check, Sunday 3rd January is the last scheduled day of operation for these? I’m planning a trip down for then.

Well according to the SWR website buses will be in operation from 4/1 to 31/3 for line upgrade work.

So, yes 3/1 technically will be last day but I really wouldn't make that your final day. While I'm sure the fitters and staff will do what they can to have a train running that day, the recent history (Inc today) shows that they really are fighting a losing battle to keep a unit running.

Seems every day a train is in operation is a bonus at the moment.

_toommm_

Established Member
Well according to the SWR website buses will be in operation from 4/1 to 31/3 for line upgrade work.

So, yes 3/1 technically will be last day but I really wouldn't make that your final day. While I'm sure the fitters and staff will do what they can to have a train running that day, the recent history (Inc today) shows that they really are fighting a losing battle to keep a unit running.

Seems every day a train is in operation is a bonus at the moment.

It’s my first time on the Island Line and it’s the only day I’ve got off over Xmas (apart from 25th/26th).

Even if they’re cancelled, it’ll be nice to do the crossing for the first time too so not all will be lost I guess. Thanks for answering by the way :)

theironroad

Established Member
It’s my first time on the Island Line and it’s the only day I’ve got off over Xmas (apart from 25th/26th).

Even if they’re cancelled, it’ll be nice to do the crossing for the first time too so not all will be lost I guess. Thanks for answering by the way :)

Ah, well fingers crossed that they run and yes nice trip anyway.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Or The london Underground C stock where the final train was withdrawn as a failure a few hours early
Not quite right - there was nothing wrong with the train itself, but other units were running low on miles and there was a need to have enough mileage on the units for the farewell trips. Stock imbalance earlier on in the week had led to the wrong units being in the wrong places. It's not hugely comparable with the 483 situation!

Status
Not open for further replies.