• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Established Member
The first D-Train used the original DC motors, so yes, they do understand the original traction equipment.

Vivarail have converted D78s to two car operation. They just did it as an integral part of the D-Train rebuilding process.

For what it's worth, here's the battery prototype operating as a single car.

I fear you may have missed the point regarding the UNDMs.
And the only part of the traction equipment reused on that video was the motors, towhit I was not referring.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phil Scott

Does anyone know which D78 vehicles have been used as donors for the Class 484 units, or how the individual vehicles will be numbered? Thanks

Journeyman

Established Member
Does anyone know which D78 vehicles have been used as donors for the Class 484 units, or how the individual vehicles will be numbered? Thanks

Don't know what the donor vehicles are, but this year's Platform 5 book lists 484001 as formed of vehicles 131 and 231, up to 484005 formed of 135 and 235. Carries on the tradition of the island vehicles having their own series.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This thread is to discuss Class 484 to replace class 483 on the island line

If anyone wishes to discuss anything else, please use a separate thread. If there isn't a thread already, feel free to create one. Any ideas, suggestions or other speculative posts should be posted in Speculative Ideas.

Nickporter

don’t suppose anyone has heard anything regarding dates for instillation of the new trains on the line? Would love to get a last ride on them but with us looking likely to be in this for the long haul if they get them in during the summer that might not be possible.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
don’t suppose anyone has heard anything regarding dates for instillation of the new trains on the line? Would love to get a last ride on them but with us looking likely to be in this for the long haul if they get them in during the summer that might not be possible.
It depends on how quickly the lockdown is eased. A few weeks ago it looked like things like drivers learning the new trains would be impacted by social distancing measures. At the moment it looks like social distancing will be relaxed (with mitigation such as PPE) in the workplace before it's relaxed anywhere else- mostly out of necessity.

Bob Price

The TfW 230's need completion first, however the first one is being tested at the moment. The other four are in various stages of build. I would guess later this year.

VEP3417

be nice to ride the old ones one more time and the new ones also, guess they might hold an event for that

Peter Sarf

Established Member
be nice to ride the old ones one more time and the new ones also, guess they might hold an event for that
Might be a plan but in the Covid-19 world look at how the Skodas (class 90s) and Mk3s quietly slipped away from London Liverpool Street :(.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
if they've got space in the depot then perhaps they might hang on to a working one (or pair) for a delayed "farewell" when it is safe- Greater Anglia just didn't have that option.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
if they've got space in the depot then perhaps they might hang on to a working one (or pair) for a delayed "farewell" when it is safe- Greater Anglia just didn't have that option.
I think there’s a slight problem that between 483s leaving and 484s arriving many of the platforms are being altered. I reckon it’s possible (or should that be probable?) both stocks cannot run together...

Last edited:

Nym

Established Member
Indeed, although they have in the past in their previous guise, the PRM-TSI wouldn't stand for the lack of level access nowadays.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Indeed, although they have in the past in their previous guise, the PRM-TSI wouldn't stand for the lack of level access nowadays.
I was assuming given the chance they’d try for best possible levels for 484 as well, it wouldn’t even be the sort of compromise height you‘d see at some LU locations.

Journeyman

Established Member
I was assuming given the chance they’d try for best possible levels for 484 as well, it wouldn’t even be the sort of compromise height you‘d see at some LU locations.

Absolutely. Compromise height on LU is only something they're allowed under grandfather rights, and nothing new like that would ever be approved, partly due to access and partly due to the consequences of collisions between tube and surface sized stock - on the few occasions it's happened, it's been nasty.

Chris125

Established Member
The inevitable delay, first unit not now expected until September: https://onthewight.com/new-island-line-trains-will-be-delayed/

“Unfortunately, the current Coronavirus situation has resulted in delays in the supply chain, and with social distancing measures at the manufacturing site, we now expect these trains to arrive on the Isle of Wight in September.

Presumably there'll be an impact on the infrastructure work planned for this winter?

Rick1984

No suprise. Main worry will be keeping the current trains running

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
I know there will get the Vivarail mods, but do they actually need them as unlike the 38s, which needed modernising inside for modern rules etc, the D78s had a very thorough refurbishment by LU not that long ago and still looked modern inside when they were taken out of service?

They're on a self contained low speed railway, so surely don't need the strengthening of the mainland ones?

D365

Veteran Member
I know there will get the Vivarail mods, but do they actually need them as unlike the 38s, which needed modernising inside for modern rules etc, the D78s had a very thorough refurbishment by LU not that long ago and still looked modern inside when they were taken out of service?

They're on a self contained low speed railway, so surely don't need the strengthening of the mainland ones?

Discussions between SWR and Viva were very extensive before the order went public. I'm sure that all possible options were considered.

Chris125

Established Member

I don't think they are doing any extravagant - new cabs and electrics but the interior looks virtually unchanged, just a refresh with PIS etc.

Also re-raises the question of if they are indeed retractioning these?

Yep, it would be bizarre not to - safe to assume these will be working Island Line for decades...

Non Multi

They were fitted with PIS and I think CCTV when they were refurbished for LU. Playing spot the difference, they will get door buttons reinstated (removed in the LU refurb) and USB sockets (below the armrests in the longitudinal seating), in addition to the cosmetic refresh. So not huge changes internally if that video is accurate.

Nym

Established Member
I don't think they are doing any extravagant - new cabs and electrics but the interior looks virtually unchanged, just a refresh with PIS etc.

Yep, it would be bizarre not to - safe to assume these will be working Island Line for decades...
PIS pods are unchanged, but it has TrainFX up in the cab, so they've either frigged it to work with the Focon system or replaced it. Heaters are notably unchanged, no HVAC changes of any significance, cab design beyond the desk is the same, even the MCB panel is essentially the same, but will be different behind one hopes.

I think someone might have been very sensible and retained a lot of what did work on these units, rather than ripping it all out and starting again like what seemed to be the in thing when they started.

A lot of the electrical auxiliary underpinnings on these things are actually very good. USB Charging Sockets, they're the cheap kind that you have no chance of charging your phone by anything more than a few percent on, but they're the in thing at the moment.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Will guards be opening and closing the doors? And if so will GOPs be fitted or will guards use the rear cab?

DavidGrain

Established Member
Does anyone know how the 484 build is getting on? There seems to be no information that I can find. The first two of the class 230s for TfW are now being tested running from Long Marston to Stourbridge and back and they are also being built by Vivarail. The lasted news that I have seen is that the 484s will be delayed until September 2020.

I was wondering if this movement yesterday from Long Marston to Eastleigh could have been a class 484 movement as the Cotswold Line does not have third rail.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K04004/2020-06-06/detailed

DavidGrain

Established Member
Will guards be opening and closing the doors? And if so will GOPs be fitted or will guards use the rear cab?

When I went for a ride on a 230 on the Marston Vale Line the guard told me that the wheelchair accessible door did not have guards door controls so she had to walk back and forth between doors to deal with a passenger in a wheelchair. Hopefully this is a problem which will be rectified on newer trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.