• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 50 start up woes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyBin

Established Member
hmmmmmmmmmmmm yes. YES - the oil scraper ring. Of course! I should have seen it sooner. it is CLEARLY allowing oil to bypass into the combustion chamber.

( i have no idea what that is or does)

In very simple terms, it stops oil entering the part of the engine where the fuel and air mixture is burnt. The oil is pushed (or scraped) back down the bores as the piston moves downwards on each intake and ignition stroke (in the case of a four stroke engine).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
Came across this video on YT:

Is this normal for a 50, or is there some kind of problem in getting it going?

Sorry, I’ve no mechanical knowledge, and would like to hear from those who know of which they speak :)

This video ambled into my YouTube recommendations last week. Am no mechanic but the 50 looked and sounded pretty happy to me! Admittedly took quite a while but it is chilly out there..

Aye a fair bit of cranking there before she gets going - it looked like the batteries were doing the work until around the 2:30 mark, possibly even later?

I think it's running on it's own without the batts but so inefficiently that true idle speed isn't being achieved until they've warmed up.

Also looks like someone's tugging away at the fuel racks to assist it.

Edited.

Last edited:

Welly

It’s an English Electric “thing.” No preheat on those engines. Same as cl37 etc. In times gone past they were left idling all night to prevent wear on the engines having to start from cold.
EE engine cylinders have comittees to decide which one should be the first to fire then after the first one fired, another meeting to agree which one starts next and so on until eventually all the cylinders are firing!

randyrippley

Established Member
Even 1950s-design Warships had preheaters. When parked and shut down you could hear them periodically clicking on and off inside the loco.
I read somewhere that these discharged the batteries so rapidly that you only got one chance of starting a Warship.
So allegedly the drivers would jam the locomotive manual into the relays which stopped the loco from cold firing (apparently it was a perfect fit) and force a cold start - with consequences for the diesels.
Was claimed to be a major source of problems.
All anecdotal, in one of the magazines years ago

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I read somewhere that these discharged the batteries so rapidly that you only got one chance of starting a Warship.
So allegedly the drivers would jam the locomotive manual into the relays which stopped the loco from cold firing (apparently it was a perfect fit) and force a cold start - with consequences for the diesels.
Was claimed to be a major source of problems.
All anecdotal, in one of the magazines years ago
Fascinating Mr Ripley. Not heard that before.

tnxrail

If anyone wants to know more best to ask on fifty fund facebook,plus videos on youtube. As 50033 had not run up to 2018 and has been worked on since then and working now.

HSP 2

EE engine cylinders have comittees to decide which one should be the first to fire then after the first one fired, another meeting to agree which one starts next and so on until eventually all the cylinders are firing!

I like that, so it's not a bucket of spanners been thrown about in a class 40 engine room it's a bucket of dice.

Status
Not open for further replies.