• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 56's near Crewe station

Status
Not open for further replies.

davethecat

Hi Everyone.
Any news on the 'Fertis' Class 56's stored near Crewe station?
Are they for scrap, sale or being restored for service?
They seem in pretty good condition considering.
I used to love the sound of them powering up. It would be nice to see them back in service.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
DB Schenker has now completed the sale of all its' class 56 locos, including those stored at Crewe Diesel Depot. There are now only eight class 56s stored at Crewe, awaiting reclaimation by their new owners: All the rest of those previously stored there have now either been moved to EMR Kingsbury for scrapping, or into the ownership of Colas Rail, or to Nemesis Rail's site at Burton upon Trent, presumably for restoration.

Phil6219

The ones clearly visible from Crewe Station are 56031, 56106, 56069 and 56074. There is another one on the line furthest from the mainline but I didn't clock the number of it. Platform 1 offers the best view of these beasts.

I asked about these on the Freightmaster forums recently having spotted them on Thursday, according to a reply those have been there a while now.

Any idea what the fates of these four are?

Phil 8-)

sprinterguy

Established Member
Reportedly EMRs' attempts to sell on 56069 failed and that loco is now most likely destined for scrapping at Kingsbury. I'm not sure what the future holds for the other three you have listed.

Boothby97

Established Member
All four are owned by EMR, so potentially could be scrapped. But on the plus side, Europheonix may be looking at buying three more 56s if 56101 is a success (it is now in FLOYD livery) while apparently BARS/DCR may be looking at purchasing more.
Thanks, Sam

fgwrich

Established Member
And by the sounds of it, according to WNXX the first of the Colas 56s could be out and about on the Boston steels in the next few weeks, provided its tests go well.

And if you want an idea of what a Colas Grid will look like, a while ago they rather thoughtfully photoshopped 311/312 into house colours! :lol:

http://www.colasrail.co.uk/freight/index.htm

(just wait till the banner changes - 1st change - from the 66)

Status
Not open for further replies.