• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

class 58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Hi, any update on the two 58's that were sold recently?

58012/023? If you refer to these two they were moved to a Rotherham breakers yard during February, they were still languishing there in March and according to the Railway Magazine there are suggestions of a possible resale.

CosherB

Established Member
Don't ask about the condition of 58008 at Easleigh ...... component recovery well underway, engine still fitted, but not much else. Time for the gas axe. .....

455driver

Veteran Member
Don't ask about the condition of 58008 at Easleigh ...... component recovery well underway, engine still fitted, but not much else. Time for the gas axe. .....

Most of the spares from 58008 have also ended up at the Battlefield line, isnt that a coincidence! :lol:

tjlrailblue

are these locos preserved or for re sale or re-activation on the main line?

how many class 58s are preserved now? I have just read of 2 ... 16? owned by class 58 group and another one sold to someone recently.

Tim

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
are these locos preserved or for re sale or re-activation on the main line?

how many class 58s are preserved now? I have just read of 2 ... 16? owned by class 58 group and another one sold to someone recently.

Tim

050 is supposedly reserved for the NRM (last loco built at Doncaster works) but has been slowly rotting away in France for over a decade...

M7R

Not sure if it was one of the recently sold 58s, but this evening at 6pm there was a 58 on the back of a low loader at the end of the A50 from derby way just before the M1 junction. It was in very faded EWS colours and appeared to possibly still have its engine / lots of big internal gubbins still fitted as half the panels on the side were missing and you could see the big gray lump inside.

I didn't get a unit number sadly as I was driving the other way, but it would be interesting to see if anyone knows anything about it,

59CosG95

Established Member
Not sure if it was one of the recently sold 58s, but this evening at 6pm there was a 58 on the back of a low loader at the end of the A50 from derby way just before the M1 junction. It was in very faded EWS colours and appeared to possibly still have its engine / lots of big internal gubbins still fitted as half the panels on the side were missing and you could see the big gray lump inside.

I didn't get a unit number sadly as I was driving the other way, but it would be interesting to see if anyone knows anything about it,

Could've been 048, that one's still in EWS colours. Lord knows what it was doing on a low-loader, or where it was going...

Status
Not open for further replies.