• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 60 no.60086 to Leeming Bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexl92

Established Member
Update: the PALS account just confirmed in a comment that it isn’t for scrap..

alexl92

Established Member
A Pacer last week, a 60 this week, what next ?
Apparently two pacers!

Hopefully a resident steam locomotive or two; saving them having to hire in each year?

Another 60 tomorrow supposedly according to some
I read that too. I've seen it confirmed online that 086 is a restoration project based at the WR but whether it stays there long-term is still tbc. I hope both 60s are headed for restoration rather than one being a parts donor but I suspect it won't be the case is the reality.

Apparently 60086 was the last 60 to haul an aggregates train over the line or something like that, so it has history there.

Last edited:

Serathor

In reference to the Pacers, this is taken from their Social Media page if it helps anyone.

Personally I would be really interested in seeing the Tug, and the Pacers there.

Screenshot_20200212-133007_Samsung Internet.jpg

sprinterguy

Established Member
In reference to the Pacers, this is taken from their Social Media page if it helps anyone.

Personally I would be really interested in seeing the Tug, and the Pacers there.

View attachment 73816
Not sure I'd trust a pint of real ale served on a Pacer. :lol: Especially running on jointed track - The agitation of the sediment in the cask will surely be intense! o_O

Serathor

Not sure I'd trust a pint of real ale served on a Pacer. :lol: Especially running on jointed track - The agitation of the sediment in the cask will surely be intense! o_O

Absolutely, I will be wearing it more than drinking it!

xotGD

Established Member
They'd have to be giving it away to get me on board!

fgwrich

Established Member
They don't half hang around up at Wensleydale, The Pacer (028) will be stopped for overhaul and re-paint after this weekend, while 60050 has been washed down today with a view to look at what they've got ahead of them.

alexl92

Established Member
They think it may well be the first passenger services of a preserved pacer. Have to say tho, even for a 44-mile round trip, £17 for a return seems steep when you're offering what is literally the most basic form of transport to operate on Britain's railways since the early 1900s, and a type that a) still operates on the mainline and b) is widely disliked!

I wish them all the best tho, especially with the Class 60s.

Serathor

They think it may well be the first passenger services of a preserved pacer. Have to say tho, even for a 44-mile round trip, £17 for a return seems steep when you're offering what is literally the most basic form of transport to operate on Britain's railways since the early 1900s, and a type that a) still operates on the mainline and b) is widely disliked!

I wish them all the best tho, especially with the Class 60s.

Agreed it is steep, However I always think that it's very steep for (albeit a long scenic route) a trip that has no real destination at the end. I am aware that it's not easy, and there is a slight problem of a river to cross , land ownership issues etc etc. However a link to Aysgarth Falls is very long overdue, and for me to pay £17 for a stop at no real destination with a bus at the other end is not attractive to me.

sprinterguy

Established Member
It was never (much of) a problem on the Penistone line music trains...!
Ah there may be hope for the ale yet then. I was wondering if this instance of real ale on a Pacer would be a first in the annals of railway catering, but evidently not.

Last edited:

Very few railways serve true 'real ale' - due to movement of any train, cask ale is filtered to ensure it is nice and clear. Also known as 'Bright Beer'

Agreed it is steep, However I always think that it's very steep for (albeit a long scenic route) a trip that has no real destination at the end. I am aware that it's not easy, and there is a slight problem of a river to cross , land ownership issues etc etc. However a link to Aysgarth Falls is very long overdue, and for me to pay £17 for a stop at no real destination with a bus at the other end is not attractive to me.

£17 for 16 miles is incredibly cheap - have you ever stopped to consider the costs of running a railway?

Serathor

£17 for 16 miles is incredibly cheap - have you ever stopped to consider the costs of running a railway?

I have, but nothing is going to entice me to spend £17 for a ride on a pacer, to a non-discript destination. When not so recently I could have got on one for a longer journey on the mainline, for less money.
if there was something worth seeing at the other end, then I would say it's £17 well spent.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I have, but nothing is going to entice me to spend £17 for a ride on a pacer, to a non-discript destination. When not so recently I could have got on one for a longer journey on the mainline, for less money.
if there was something worth seeing at the other end, then I would say it's £17 well spent.

They are clearly trying to drive some off season trade and show off their new toy. £17 seems about right for a preserved railway. if you are not interested don't go! BTW Leyburn is well worth a visit. Decent pubs, nice castle.

arbeia

Alight at Leyburn-plenty to see there.

What you find 'worth seeing' may differ from someone else. Whilst there isn't an engine shed at Redmire, there is a great walk to Bolton Castle and a fab pub serving food and local ales.

Serathor

They are clearly trying to drive some off season trade and show off their new toy. £17 seems about right for a preserved railway. if you are not interested don't go! BTW Leyburn is well worth a visit. Decent pubs, nice castle.

I know, I don't live that far - my point is I would happily pay £17 to ride a pacer (I love them!) but all the way to AF, I don't want to bus it at the other end I may as well take the car

Alight at Leyburn-plenty to see there.

I know, I drive through often enough, however I agree with your point

What you find 'worth seeing' may differ from someone else. Whilst there isn't an engine shed at Redmire, there is a great walk to Bolton Castle and a fab pub serving food and local ales.

Quite right, I agree. my point is while I understand that there are a lot of financial, ownership and geographical issues to contend with. I just wish they would get that bridge in. so I can train it all the way to AF.
I used to volunteer at the WR about 10 years ago and the bridge was a proirity then, but here we are today no further forward (probably)

However I agree with all your statements, and I probably harshly stated that it was a bit pricey therfore I take it back, but this is going of topic.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Surely the pacer element of the trip needs to be combined with a trip on a Leyland National, in order to get the full experience.

xotGD

Established Member
Surely the pacer element of the trip needs to be combined with a trip on a Leyland National, in order to get the full experience.
For an authentic experience, harking back to the early days of 143s, the Pacer should be declared a failure and 37250 substitutes for it on a set of Mark 1s!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For an authentic experience, harking back to the early days of 143s, the Pacer should be declared a failure and 37250 substitutes for it on a set of Mark 1s!
Yeeesss please!

(and wear some good 80s clothing too)

Status
Not open for further replies.