• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 60 no.60086 to Leeming Bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Having seen photos of 60086 after being given a wash at Leeming Bar it's amazing to see how well the two-tone grey paint finish has stood up to the elements after almost thirty years, half of which were spent stored in the open exposed to the elements.
Hmmm.... wonder if they accept privs?...
The Wensleydale Railway aren't on the list of those heritage railways offering priv rate travel, and even if they were I suspect that the Pacer running days would be considered a "special event" and hence be exempt anyway.

Marmaduke

I understand that the 60's are on the line to both be refurbished for future main line use. No one has mentioned them being based there in the future, but maybe given the relatively short main line connection on the ECML.

I suppose the down side at the WR, there is precious little siding space and with all the recent arrivals over the last month or three (1 x 37, 2 x 60's 2 x Pacers & 1 Cal Sleeper coach), its going to get a tad tight up there!!

Marmaduke

Still waiting for that bridge accross the river to Aysgarth falls though. :'(
I personally dont think that is going to happen anytime in the next 10 years - How could it be?

I think nice as it sounds Aysgarth is but a dream, always has been, always will be!

The WR couldn't afford to do it, now Mr Smith owns it and even though hes high profile and an astute businessman with presumably not an in-considerate decent bank balance, why would he wish to buy up the track bed eastwards towards the WR at Redmire?

Why would he invest in a relatively short section with no conceivable pay back, that is unless he had aspirations to take over the WR in its entirety?

duffield

Established Member
Having seen photos of 60086 after being given a wash at Leeming Bar it's amazing to see how well the two-tone grey paint finish has stood up to the elements after almost thirty years, half of which were spent stored in the open exposed to the elements.

The Wensleydale Railway aren't on the list of those heritage railways offering priv rate travel, and even if they were I suspect that the Pacer running days would be considered a "special event" and hence be exempt anyway.

Personally I never use my priv discount on heritage railways, because I think they *really* need the money. My view is that you should only use it if you otherwise would be unable to afford to travel at all (in which case it's quite justified).

Personally I never use my priv discount on heritage railways, because I think they *really* need the money. My view is that you should only use it if you otherwise would be unable to afford to travel at all (in which case it's quite justified).

Absolutely right we all know about the possibility of effing on pres too, but if they dont get the cash they dont exist anymore then we all lose, it's not the big railway and let's remember most of them are charities after all and you wouldn't steal from them either I'm sure

alexl92

Established Member
I understand that the 60's are on the line to both be refurbished for future main line use. No one has mentioned them being based there in the future, but maybe given the relatively short main line connection on the ECML.

I suppose the down side at the WR, there is precious little siding space and with all the recent arrivals over the last month or three (1 x 37, 2 x 60's 2 x Pacers & 1 Cal Sleeper coach), its going to get a tad tight up there!!

Who's funded all these new arrivals? And the posts made it seem like the WR would be restoring the 60s - do they own them and intend to hire them out to the mainline? Or is it another HNRC partnership for example?

I personally dont think that is going to happen anytime in the next 10 years - How could it be?

I think nice as it sounds Aysgarth is but a dream, always has been, always will be!

The WR couldn't afford to do it, now Mr Smith owns it and even though hes high profile and an astute businessman with presumably not an in-considerate decent bank balance, why would he wish to buy up the track bed eastwards towards the WR at Redmire?

Why would he invest in a relatively short section with no conceivable pay back, that is unless he had aspirations to take over the WR in its entirety?

I'd heard that Mr Smith is very much interested in connecting up to the WR at Redmire, and possibly carrying on back to Hawes. Think of the railtour opportunities if you could do York - Northallerton - Wensleydale Branch - Settle and then either onto Hellified and somewhere like Preston or back towards York via Leeds?

fireftrm

Good on you - but to answer the OP many Heritage Railways do offer RDG discounts, but the Wensleydale are not in that list

Who's funded all these new arrivals? And the posts made it seem like the WR would be restoring the 60s - do they own them and intend to hire them out to the mainline? Or is it another HNRC partnership for example?

I'd heard that Mr Smith is very much interested in connecting up to the WR at Redmire, and possibly carrying on back to Hawes. Think of the railtour opportunities if you could do York - Northallerton - Wensleydale Branch - Settle and then either onto Hellified and somewhere like Preston or back towards York via Leeds?

Yes I'm sure he is interested, who wouldn't be at the possibility, however even if a "money fairy" appeared and "all the stars in the Galaxy were aligned" something like this even with the pedal to the metal could take 10 years to complete physically.

Anyone investing in it would wish to see a good return on their investment (ROI) AND the big ticket item would be the control and ownership of the Wensleydale Railway. Any person investing would want full control.

Yes the WR ticks many boxes, is in a good location as an entry to the Dales, particularly having a first stage destination of Aysgarth, but at what cost??

I'd love to see a Steam loco and its carriages at Aysgarth, just a shame it wouldn't be a WR station though!!

Anyway I think time will tell who has the best intentions when it comes to what next!!

Status
Not open for further replies.